News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

List of metal gauge used in Chargers?

Started by Bronzedodge, March 28, 2017, 04:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzedodge

I'm still helping out my friend with his Barracuda restoration.  He says the other day he picked up some 22 gauge sheet metal.  I'm thinking that's too thin.  Has anyone see a chart or list of the thickness metal used in the cars?   I know the roof won't be the same as a inner rocker, etc.  Any  info out there or specs?
Mopar forever!

Laowho

I've seen it argued at other forums, and guess I should ask AMD directly, but the consensus from my limited reading has been 18-20 gauge for the body panels. And for the frame rails, I ordered 14 and was told that this was still thicker than factory but it looks close.

Mike DC

The T-bar crossmember is some of the thickest stuff.  IIRC it's up around .100-.120" range which is 14-11 gauge.  Close to 1/8".  
The K-frame & control arms & leaf spring mount brackets are thick too.  Definitely 1/8".

The four corner subframe rails are more like 1/16".  Somewhere in the ballpark of .065-.070".  15-16-gauge.  Surprisingly thin for what they are.  

The body panels are in the 18-20-gauge range.  .040-.050".  

Troy

I was at a local hardware store the other day trying to pick up some sheet metal for patches. All they had was 16 and 22 gauge. The 16 it too thick for most panels (not brackets or rails) and the 22 is way too thin. I measured parts of my cowl at 20 but remember that it is pretty well stretched out when formed so different locations will give a different reading. Near the top edges it's pretty thin (and welding that to 16 gauge is super fun!).

Considering the grinding and finishing will thin the metal some too it's probably best to look for 18 gauge.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.