News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Power Steering cooler?

Started by 70Sbird, March 29, 2017, 01:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Hi all,
My Superbird has been without a power steering cooler since I bought it as a project some 16 years ago. I was going to finally shell out the money for a reproduction one from Glen Ray and it looks like they don't make them anymore?
I believe the all Superbirds should have the Saginaw (Oval) power steering pump and the part #2891162 power steering cooler in-line with the return line from the box. Is this correct?
If so, does anyone have a source for a cooler? There is an NOS "kit" on Ebay for $900 and what looks to be a used one for $350...
I don't need a date coded exact match, but one that bolts to the correct place and serves the same function would probably be OK for my driver car. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Scott

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Yeap.. Since all Superbirds came with 3.55's or 3.54's, they should have a cooler........

I would think you'll be able to find a proper one... May not be cheap Scott, but they are out there.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70Sbird on March 29, 2017, 01:59:00 PM
Hi all,
My Superbird has been without a power steering cooler since I bought it as a project some 16 years ago. I was going to finally shell out the money for a reproduction one from Glen Ray and it looks like they don't make them anymore?
I believe the all Superbirds should have the Saginaw (Oval) power steering pump and the part #2891162 power steering cooler in-line with the return line from the box. Is this correct?
If so, does anyone have a source for a cooler? There is an NOS "kit" on Ebay for $900 and what looks to be a used one for $350...
I don't need a date coded exact match, but one that bolts to the correct place and serves the same function would probably be OK for my driver car. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Scott

Repros are long gone, even repro stuff dries up! Ebay's current offerings, not bad, will need some "detailing" to look good

Hemi Runner

I threw a ton of those away back in the day :eek2:

62 Max

What you need,some coolers have different brackets and line configuration depending on application.

70Sbird

Thanks for the replies everyone! I logged into Ebay just now and the later model used one for $125 was just sold within the last hour....... :brickwall:
back to the drawing board........

Scott Faulkner

Mopar John

Scott,
I am sorry you lost out on the EBAY cooler!
Here is a pump I have with a cooler.
I don't know what Mopar it is from but you might be able to make the cooler work?
I will let it go reasonable so pm me if you have interest?
MJ

hemi68charger

Scott...
I can't recall.. You have a 440 in your Bird, correct? Not a 426 Hemi...
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

70Sbird

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 30, 2017, 08:20:10 PM
Scott...

Troy, correct I have a 440 and a Saginaw pump

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70Sbird on March 31, 2017, 08:09:08 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 30, 2017, 08:20:10 PM
Scott...

Troy, correct I have a 440 and a Saginaw pump

OK.. I'll keep my eyes open.....
Troy

70Sbird

BIG THANKS TO MOPAR JOHN!
Once again he has proven to be a great guy and an asset to our community! He made me a deal on the cooler pictured above and I think I can make it work. When I get the car out in a few weeks I'll have some time to reconfigure the tubes and provide an update.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks again John!
Scott

Scott Faulkner