News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd Gen Charger Front Speakers

Started by Mopar Crazy, March 29, 2017, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

Has anyone here tried the front center dash stereo speakers from YO ?

Part # KMDS2
Pioneer dual 200-watt front speakers for 1968-1970 Dodge and Plymouth B-body models.

* Discount Eligible
* Not Eligible For Free Shipping

:popcrn:
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

JR

Holy crap, that year one markup price is insane!

125 bucks for a pair of Kenwood 4x10s?!?

You can buy a pair of Kenwood or Pioneer 4x10s for around 60 bucks anywhere on the web.

Or if you want to pay up for some Kickers, they run 80 bucks a pair. (Probably the best quality you can get in a 4x10.)

Year one is charging a premium here to rebox a standard Kenwood speaker. They are literally charging double the price of the speakers to put them in a Year One box.

I highly doubt there's anything "Mopar" specific about their speakers, just buy some speakers literally anywhere else and save your money. That Year One tax is ridiculous.

Edit: I don't have a model number of the specific Kenwood they're selling, (and I can't find a 200watt rated 4x10 from Kenwood) but my best guess for an equivalent one is here. Here's a pair of 160 watt Kenwood 4x10 2 ways for 59.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KFC-415C-4x10-Inch-Custom-fit-Speakers/dp/B003TUXZCI

Here is another source for them if you don't like Amazon.
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_457_Kenwood-KFC-415C.html

Personally, Ive been running Pioneer in my 70 forever. I bought a pair of them in 2006, and the first one lasted a decade before it blew out. I just grabbed the spare one in the box that sat on the shelf the whole time, and swapped it in. No complaints from me. Heres the exact speaker I run. Currently on Amazon for 64 bucks. It maybe cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A4103-2-way-Speakers-Pair/dp/B000067INH
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mopar Crazy

Wow  thanks for the info and sites... Def going the amazon route... :2thumbs:
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

JR

Dino

Year one must be run by a guy named Ben Dover. Ridiculous prices, and their shipping...

JR you're running one of those in the dash? Any other speakers you're running? I though about getting one of those dual speakers mounted on a 4x10 frame with an amp to get some decent tunes in stereo.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JR

Yeah, Dino, I've ran Pioneer speakers for years.

Not necessarily because they are "the best", but they have always been good quality for the relatively low money they cost. I'd probably buy the Kicker speakers if I wanted to spend a little more.

I have the three speaker dash, so I have some other pioneer speakers in the corners, and some three way 6x9s in the rear deck. 5 speakers total.  I'm not overly picky with the stereo, but if I was, I would want a 10 inch sub mounted in the trunk with a decent amp for some low end bass. My setup is lacking in base big-time, but it hasn't bothered me enough to upgrade.

I'm not a hardcore audiophile, so I can't make any definite recommendations, but personally, I think (assuming you have a one speaker dash), one 4x10 up front for the high and midrange, two decent quality 6x9s in the rear deck, a single 10 inch sub in the trunk with a decent amp would be plenty. Maybe a couple of tweeters mounted under the dash for good measure. I can't see needing anymore than that unless you just really wanted to.

But, again, I'm not a hardcore stereo guy, so Im sure Im overlooking something somewhere.

Oh, and in before some internet hard ass makes the inevitable post saying "I don't need no damn radio, I listen to the MOTOR..." Lol.

Dino

As much as I love the sound of the engine, I still want music. I can't sing along with vroom vroom!

I'm like you, I want decent quality music but I'm not an audiophile. I still have my stock dash speaker and AM radio. They work and it's nice to turn it on from time to time to be nostalgic. I will either use a hidden system with separate speakers or I may replace the radio for an upgraded retro model. I wish I had the three speaker dash, that would make life a lot easier because I don't have much room to mount decent speakers in the front. I'd like to install the rear defogger but that means no room for a second speaker back there. I don't know if they sell 6x9s that have a dual setup. That would do the trick. A 10" sub and amp is a must. I have an 8" sub in my daily and it makes a world of difference. But the Charger is too loud and needs bigger toys.

I was going to mout speakers in my doors and cut away some of the cardboard from the door panels so not to muffle the sound, but now that I have power window motors there I think I won't have the room for it.

Oh well, worries for another time. I need to sell just about anything that I can to pay for all this stuff so important things first: brakes and fuel system.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

darbgnik

I made a plate to mount two 3.5" speakers in the center dash location, along with 6x9's in the rear deck. The sound is surprisingly full, so I wont bother with any more speakers in the doors or kick panels.

The speakers are currently running off a run of the mill Kenwood deck in the stock location. My radio bezel was already butchered when I got the car, so at least that decision was easy......

I've got 4 12" subs and a couple sub amps kicking around here, so I may toss those in, but honestly probably wont ever bother(even though I have 3 JL 13s in my H1, a JL 10 in my Viper, and a JL 10 in my Ram)
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html