News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a 68 charger in a junkyard!

Started by Baldwinvette77, March 31, 2017, 12:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad mcintyre

I been worried about height but I see Dakotas with 5 and 6 bolt patterns only doing this because grand kids want to and it might get them interested I hope

Lennard

Quote from: brad mcintyre on August 31, 2017, 06:25:53 AM
I been worried about height but I see Dakotas with 5 and 6 bolt patterns only doing this because grand kids want to and it might get them interested I hope
Great thought :2thumbs:

Baldwinvette77

well, ive connected the 2 cars at the firewall, finished up (sorta) the cowl, stuck in the glass, and wasted what i had left of that aqua blue colour , and of course took it for a test drive and it didn't even stall once!

oh.. but the radio doesn't work for some reason..  :rotz:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 10, 2017, 12:21:42 PM
So how many times did it stall ? :icon_smile_big:

Not once! (yet).. it hesitated a few times, but i figured it was just clogging the air filter with bondo dust  :lol:

Stevearino

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on September 10, 2017, 05:41:24 PM
Wow. That went together fast.

theres still alot to do really, hood hinges so the hood can tilt forward, front bumper and bumper brackets, rear outer wheel houses, outer rockers, some rust repair... fix the radio! and make it look a little less ugly

Baldwinvette77

Found a bumper for $25!!!  :woohoo: actually 70 sublime did, but still i own it now, and i got a piece of trim for the top of the drivers door for helping him change spark plugs on his pride and joy-a red honda fit  :yesnod:

and i made some "bondoed over" valance corners that are popular with ebay sellers

Baldwinvette77

:scratchchin: ... god damn it  :lol:

70 sublime

Told you those fenders looked like my old ones  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 16, 2017, 03:33:27 PM
Told you those fenders looked like my old ones  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Yeah well, now i get to say i have original power window fenders  :lol:

orange383

I can do a lot with cars but I don't think I could do this. Great job!!

70 sublime

Come on now children keep the bickering to your selves and not on this car build thread

I think the statement Baldwin made was more in reference to the fact that I probably have owned more of the parts on his car than the parts he has on his own first  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hard to remember which Charger the parts are on but I think for this one
trunk lid
front fenders
tail lights ?
vent window parts
door chrome
front bumper ( well I did pay for it so I did own it for 12 hours )

Baldwinvette77

Hmmm  :scratchchin: well anyway Heres a picture of 2 butchered chargers

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lighthorseman

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 21, 2017, 07:06:30 PM
Hmmm  :scratchchin: well anyway Heres a picture of 2 butchered chargers

...I got it.   :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: cdr on September 21, 2017, 07:36:26 PM
for a total of 3 ?

Nah, same car, just with $40 worth of red oxide primer on it, my goal is to find some cop car wheels with hubcaps, a bunch of speed stickers for parts i dont own and maybe even sidepipes, im not sure about the last one yet, but i want it to have an 80's streetrace vibe.

Baldwinvette77

Lighthorseman

Such a cool thread this is!   :2thumbs:

So, if I'm not mistaken, the area I've circled shows the difference in heights between the second-gen Chargers and the LX platform.  If I recall correctly, this is something "Stevearino" spent a good many hours recifying.  

Just looking at the picture, I have to wonder...If one didn't have either the time or Stevearino's skillset, is this possibly something you could simply cover up with a set of sidepipes?  Lacking both time and skill, that sure is what I'd try to do.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Lighthorseman on October 02, 2017, 11:27:51 AM
Such a cool thread this is!   :2thumbs:

So, if I'm not mistaken, the area I've circled shows the difference in heights between the second-gen Chargers and the LX platform.  If I recall correctly, this is something "Stevearino" spent a good many hours recifying.  

Just looking at the picture, I have to wonder...If one didn't have either the time or Stevearino's skillset, is this possibly something you could simply cover up with a set of sidepipes?  Lacking both time and skill, that sure is what I'd try to do.

funny enough, me, 70 sublime, the guy i bought the 68 shell from and now you all suggested sidepipes  :lol: i think it would look pretty good, and if everyone is thinking it, i suppose its just natural.

but you are correct, my 68 body was badly rusted in the rocker area, inner and outer, i figured i'd just remove them and use the late model stuff, it was quicker and easier, and like you said, i don't have steves skillset, so for the average guy using a rusty junker, its a decent solution  :cheers:

djcarguy

Mytur Binsdirti

At what speed you you predict that the body will fly off the chassis?

:o

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 22, 2017, 12:15:40 PM
At what speed you you predict that the body will fly off the chassis?

:o

well the hood almost flew off at... like 10  :scratchchin: but now it had hood pins, so maybe.. 60?

Baldwinvette77

so it turns out there is just one manufacture for steering wheel adapters for chrysler LX cars, Thankfully they make a classic wood wheel for it so i got to replace the "caravan" steering wheel and take care of the airbag recall at the same time  :lol:

also i replaced the stock suitcase muffler with a couple of redhot glasspacks

Lighthorseman

This build is just awesome...on SO many levels.  :2thumbs: