News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a 68 charger in a junkyard!

Started by Baldwinvette77, March 31, 2017, 12:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwinvette77

Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm back working on this 68, I always thought it had potential to be a badass car. Yeah the 72 has a superbee hood, I always thought they looked cool.                 

As for the Rye....  :scratchchin: I feel that's within the realm of possibility

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

cdr

Its GREAT to see you posting & back on that COOL 68 !!!  :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

VegasCharger

Pat1973charger

Hey man glad to see your still around was wondering what came if you, although people may be thinking the same of me haha

Kern Dog

Quote from: cbrestorations on May 22, 2017, 09:28:01 PM
theres a couple reasons i dont like these swaps. you just lengthened the wheel base on a 2nd gen charger by 3" so now its longer than an el camino lol and you cant fit a decent offset wheel on it.

I agree. Flat faced wheels don't look good even on later model cars.

Baldwinvette77

Thanks guys and yeah there are plenty of downsides to the body swap, the wheel base doesnt bother me, but the wheel offset does, I think the best wheel for the money I can get is the charger cop car wheels, everything made for this chassis is modern or bling looking otherwise. The other problem I had is it drove like a luxury car, which just wasn't exciting,  I tore into the engine, removed the mds system, did some performance mods, and I'm doing headers 3" h pipe exhaust which will sound much better than manifolds 2-1/4 and an x pipe.  My goal is to make this thing feel more like a musclecar.

Baldwinvette77

I made some subframe connectors? i think, although these are under the seat to reinforce where i cut away the 2006 rockers. I also changed the hood/cowl area, and basically rebuilt the engine, later 2009 and up heads, raised compression ratio no more 4 cylinder mode, ripped out the abs, a/c system and anything else that just seemed lame.

ACUDANUT

I love the idea, but it just looks like a bad dream. :Twocents:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

67440chrg

Looks like a fun project and it will be a fun car when you are done. Keep up the good work.

chargervert

The 20 inch 5 spoke wheels that came on the 2009/2010 Challenger R/T classics are the best wheels made for modern Mopars.They look like a Cragar mag,and have a dish unlike the other wheels for Challengers. You need a set of those wheels.

Baldwinvette77

Yeah those heritage classic wheels are great, they are just a little harder to find up here  :rotz: I saw a set for about $750 way back, but they had damage, so it didnt seem worth it, but I haven't seen any others since.

RallyeMike

It looks like you moved to another shop and have a little more elbow room.

Now that you are back, we just need to find DJ.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Baldwinvette77

A couple minor things, i ripped the 300 dash completely out, hvac and all, and stuck in an old 69 coronet dash frame, and reused the 300 cluster for now, with a metal panel that hides all the warning lights ive triggered  :rofl: i also found a set of used wheels cheap that i actually kind of like, especially for what i paid for them. Next id like to get rid of the 120lb chrysler seats and go with something more fitting.

My goal is to make this more of a performance car and less of a cruiser, since i started working on this thing again, ive removed over 200lbs, and increased the power by atleast 40hp

djcarguy

:cheers: :cheers:  really like the new wheels,,,,goodto see ya alive,,out there...  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Did anyone see the title of the last picture?
I'm only doing this to get through college".
Clever.

Baldwinvette77

Weeks ago I finally got to road trip this thing , just before ontario shut down again, ohwell it was fun while it lasted, got to hang out with another member and his beat up 2nd gen.

AKcharger

Just stumbled on this thread. 1st page I thought "yup, that will be a absoult $ pit and never get close to finished" but it morphed into something completly diffrent! well done!! I like the neo-road warrior look!

73chgrSE

Cool build! Man you really did a lot of work on it!  :cheers:

70 sublime

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 29, 2021, 10:25:09 AM
Weeks ago I finally got to road trip this thing , just before ontario shut down again, ohwell it was fun while it lasted, got to hang out with another member and his beat up 2nd gen.

I noticed you forgot to mention you had to boost the battery to get it to start after we had lunch  :icon_smile_big:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green