News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a 68 charger in a junkyard!

Started by Baldwinvette77, March 31, 2017, 12:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcarguy

Baldwinvette77

:lol: The 300 did have a few problems, its needs a new PCM which is a common 2006 v8 problem with 5.7 and 6.1 dodge and chrysler LX cars, but i picked it up for $3000 canadian with 181,000 km, which is like what, $2300 US and 110,000 miles?

i registered it and got it e-tested and certified before i cut it up, so legally its mine, and im going to use its vin with the charger shell, hell its even insured.

i collected fenders, another door, a trunk lid, a door mirror and taillights and i still have a spare 68 coronet grille, and spare glass minus a windshield

:hack:

J.Bond

Quote; and I'm going to use it's vin, with the Charger.

Some how, I do not think that is possible. By using the 300 vin and title, would mean that 69 shell would have to meet or exeed  2006  ratings. That will never happen!!! Not to mention, how many times you will  get pulled over by the police, because they punched in a lic plate of a vintage Charger, and it's listed as a 300, can you say pull over....

You would be better off getting a DMV assigned ownership applied to the old shell. It will not  be a number normally seen on a Mopar, but, better than no ownership  at all. Then apply the 300 assembly.

J.Bond

Hey Baldwin

That shell still have the S O numbers?

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: J.Bond on May 15, 2017, 06:28:54 AM
Hey Baldwin

That shell still have the S O numbers?

the only numbers the shell has is on the trunk gutter, i havent seen them myself yet, but it hasnt been cut so i imagine its still there

cbrestorations

i would really try and use a charger vin

70 sublime

I think his plan was to use the VIN on the 300 because he already has it in his name and certified

Not sure who you would have to inspect it the other way
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Stevearino

I don't know how the Canadians work things as far as custom vehicles are concerned but having gone through and titled mine as a 68 instead of 06 it was no piece of cake here in North Carolina home of the free. Much easier to say you customized the 06 with different sheet metal and move on with life if it is possible based on the laws. My only real advantage is having no inspection requirements because it is 68 and we have property tax on cars here so the blue book value of a 68 is about $1,200.00 as opposed to $20,000.00 on the 06 SRT-8.

Baldwinvette77

I spoke to a local cop and he told me they don't question the plates unless they are expired, tied to a car reported stolen or damaged, if the plate matches the Vin and the car is insured you're ok, the one thing he did make clear though is make sure the colour of the car matches the ownership which is tied to the plates. the 300 is blue, so i guess the charger will remain blue  :lol:

he also mentioned as far as the police are concerned changing the body is like removing the nameplates off a car, the actual structure of the car is the ministry of transportations concern. but.. i guess theres only one way to find out for sure  :lol:

RallyeMike

Whatever became of the mad max torino/mustang project?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

cbrestorations

Quote from: RallyeMike on May 15, 2017, 10:21:47 PM
i had one of those lol

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: RallyeMike on May 15, 2017, 10:21:47 PM

the owner of that yard accused me of robbing him, an entire 53' long trailer full of aluminum rims, i think its pretty safe to say i didn't do that, i cant drive a truck, and i've never even been in one, but he was pretty certain i was at least involved, i tried to explain im only interested in the vintage cars and not his shop or his trucks, but he basically just said "everyones a suspect including you" and i never returned.  :rotz:

Lighthorseman

"...and i never returned."  :rotz:

But you still have the Charger, am I right?

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Lighthorseman on May 16, 2017, 03:36:44 PM
"...and i never returned."  :rotz:

But you still have the Charger, am I right?

Yeah, the Blue 68 charger, and the Torino/mustang creation are from 2 different junkyards.  :yesnod:

RallyeMike

Quotethe owner of that yard accused me of robbing him, an entire 53' long trailer full of aluminum rims, i think its pretty safe to say i didn't do that, i cant drive a truck, and i've never even been in one, but he was pretty certain i was at least involved, i tried to explain im only interested in the vintage cars and not his shop or his trucks, but he basically just said "everyones a suspect including you" and i never returned.  rotz

Bummer ! :P
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

toocheaptosmoke

Sweet!  Taken the 300 for a spin in its chopped up state?

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on May 18, 2017, 11:21:28 AM
Sweet!  Taken the 300 for a spin in its chopped up state?

You know it!!!  :lol:

And for some reason photobucket isnt working, and im far too lazy to resize everything, so heres a picture of a piece of crap on another piece of crap  :yesnod:

Baldwinvette77

Hurray it works again maybe!!! anyway i got the charger home on friday, cut it all to pieces and got it sorta on the 300 today, except its hitting a support on the dash and the inner roof and quarters are hitting the rear wheel wells so it'll have to come back off so i can figure out what needs to get cut  :hack:

Stevearino

Good times. Brings back memories. Especially those rocket booster exhaust out the back. :lol:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on May 22, 2017, 07:33:28 PM
Good times. Brings back memories. Especially those rocket booster exhaust out the back. :lol:

i've been meaning to take the saw to those too, i just have been hacking away at the important stuff first  :lol:

cbrestorations

theres a couple reasons i dont like these swaps. you just lengthened the wheel base on a 2nd gen charger by 3" so now its longer than an el camino lol and you cant fit a decent offset wheel on it. other than that i would do one aswell.

cbrestorations

are you going to drop the shell down low enough so original body height is the same and not as tall as the 300?

JR

Good luck on this build, I'll be watching for updates.

Also, I can't help but imagine what the neighbors thought once you started chopping up a decent looking, newish car in your driveway.  :icon_smile_big:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Stevearino

Here are some examples of cars that were not dropped down at least as far as where the pinch welds line up on the door thresholds. Not the best look for sure.
I should not have included the black car because it is just someone hanging a 69 nose on a new Charger but I thought it would be fun to show just how bad things can go.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: cbrestorations on May 22, 2017, 09:31:46 PM
are you going to drop the shell down low enough so original body height is the same and not as tall as the 300?

i will, i mentioned that the body is hitting a couple things, im going to get it to sit another 3" lower.