News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Small block oil dipstick

Started by chargd72, April 01, 2017, 11:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I have an aftermarket oil dipstick and want to make sure the markings are correct while I have the pan off.  What is the proper oil level when filled in reference to where the pan meets the block?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Bronzedodge

It might be easier just to have the pan on, motor relatively level,  and fill it with 5 quarts, or whatever your pan capacity is; and remark the stick with a punch or awl.  Or if you really need the pan off, set it with the rail level and fill it 5 quarts of liquid and note the level.
Mopar forever!

chargd72

That's not a bad idea.  It's a 7 qt pan but i have over 9 qts in my whole system.  I'll just fill the pan up with water, note how high it goes from the top rim, mark the level on the stick accordingly to how far below the botom of the block it is.  Thanks for the suggestion.   

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger