News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My steering wheel won't line up.

Started by 375instroke, April 01, 2017, 07:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

Steering box is in the middle of it's travel, master spline is up, coupler is installed, steering wheel master spline lines up with steering shaft, but the shaft and shoes are 90° off.  What could possibly be wrong here, besides me, perhaps?  The shaft can only go in one way, or 180° out, not 90°.

Charger-Bodie

Tie rod adjuster sleeves in approx middle of adjustment?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BLK 68 R/T

Is the notch on your coupler indexed with the master spline on the steering box?

375instroke

Rebuilt suspension, don't care about tie rods yet.  The steering wheel should be straight when the steering box is in the middle of it's travel, which is also the tight spot, or something like that.  Master spline on box is straight up, and at the center of it's travel.  Coupler installed, and notch is straight up.  Steering wheel has to be turned left or right 90° to get the coupler shoes to go in the pot.  Shouldn't all this line up, and then you adjust the tie rods to get the wheels pointing straight ahead?

John_Kunkel

Are you sure the pot joint is assembled properly? It is possible to assemble it 90° off with the curved shoes in the curved section inside the coupling body.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

375instroke

The cross shaft the shoes go on is in the flat part of the pot, and the shoes are in the flat part of the pot, not the curved part.  I remember the steering shaft having round and flat parts, so it can only go together one way, or 180° out, too, and can't be turned 90°.

BLK 68 R/T

Aftermarket steering wheel or factory? The actual steering shaft can slide apart if the plastic pins are removed. Not sure if that happened and if it would change anything if it was not slid back together exactly how it came apart?

375instroke

All stock column and steering wheel.  I looked at another column I took apart, and the pot, lower shaft, and upper shaft all line up with the master splines pointing up, and can only go together two ways, so they are either all lined up, or 180° apart.

375instroke

Pulled the steering wheel, and someone ground the master spline and put the steering wheel where they wanted to.  Good excuse to install the wood grain wheel.