News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Raising the rear of a '68 Charger

Started by 1968ChargerGuy, April 02, 2017, 05:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HPP

Quote from: One mopar on June 04, 2017, 02:40:15 PM
What's your suggestion for the wintertime I get a lot of snow on my driveway and muds are the only tires that I've gotten stuck once the all seasons are guaranteed to get stuck and this was in the jeep 

If you got stuck in a 4wd Jeep, no tire is going to get your Charger through it. Also, mud tires are not snow tires. Snow tires are designed for freezing temps with a lot of biting edges and full depth siping, mud tires have high lug to void ratios to move material out of them with no sipes . They are two different animals, but purpose built snow tires are not always cheap, and I get the impression budget is an issue, plus there is the whole hassle of swapping tires or having a spare set of rims in the garage year round.

Quote from: MoparRocks on June 04, 2017, 11:15:33 PM
I'm trying to figure out why he had shackles on a 2006 Wrangler.

Haven't gotten the shackles slung under the Charger yet as I have been u able to find 4 friggin 1/2" grade 8 bolts the right size anywhere. Waiting on a set to be delivered so I can sling the shackles in. Unreal. Home Depot was sold out of the size I needed. Dixieline didn't have anything over grade 2, hell even Ace hardware didn't have the right length.

I don't think he said he has shackles under his wrangler but was saying if his wrangler got stuck, he needs mud tires under his charger. I think... Kinda hard to follow the logic entirely.

I question whether the factory shackles were grade 8 hardware. 5 maybe, if that. They were a pressed in stud in the original shackles. But, if you want grade 8 hardware try here; https://www.mcmaster.com/

MoparRocks

Oh I'm sure they aren't grade 8 from the factory. But no way in hell im using anything less. I tend to overdo it when it comes to that sort of thing. It's a hold over from the years spent building up my Wrangler. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. And suspension, roll cages, or other high stress parts get nothing less than grade 8 in my garage. I got the ones I ordered in today so I'll get the boomers on on my next day off.
1971 Charger Richard Petty tribute
Mopar 340 three on the tree

HPP

Quote from: MoparRocks on June 05, 2017, 10:13:17 PM
Oh I'm sure they aren't grade 8 from the factory. But no way in hell im using anything less. I tend to overdo it when it comes to that sort of thing. It's a hold over from the years spent building up my Wrangler. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. And suspension, roll cages, or other high stress parts get nothing less than grade 8 in my garage. I got the ones I ordered in today so I'll get the boomers on on my next day off.

Common approach and nothing wrong with it for most guys. With my involvement in rules restricted racing efforts, I've always examined the need for maximum durability against inspection cycles, weight gains, and costs and found that in many cases, there are areas I can use smaller and lighter parts without detriment in select areas. Yes there are still places where such compromises won't be examined, but in general for my cars, they are reviewed.

One mopar

Thanks ok so the jeep was all pretty much stock  :smilielol:  The springs are original to the car but I had and fixed at Triple-A truck springs in slc Utah mite be where u can get grade 8 bolts or fastenal. My rims are 18s but I'd love 17sx8 I've never had real snow tires so I don't know the difference between the two tires. Yes you are right I am on a tight budget rite now basically I had to downsize from a good paying job which is win I bought it to minimum wage and apartment ( all the rules like no engine rebuilding in the driveway or no unlicensed cars ) so it makes it way harder to build up nice but I'm trying for now and thanks for being welcoming.

Mopar rocks I'm the same way with my car the brakes are race car good 😊