News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A B E Body Steering Column Restoration

Started by Orange Bird, March 01, 2009, 07:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange Bird

I am renewing my post for steering column restoration services. I have finished my booth so I thought I'd get back into it since I have a little more time now.

I charge $180 + parts and shipping to completely disassemble, blast, epoxy coat and topcoat your column. Color other than black is an addl 25. It is special mix from my paint company. Typical turnaround time for me is 10-14 days + ship time. For returning readers, I modified my previous statement about Totally Auto and their colored paint. I had orginally stated that colors would have come from them and it would be the right interior sheen. I just found out that the right colors availabe were exterior in nature and were high gloss in nature. Therefore, colors will now be mixed at my local shop with about a 50% gloss. Exact sheen may be off some from original paint.
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

rudyjrusa

Quote from: Orange Bird on March 01, 2009, 07:49:42 PM
I am renewing my post for steering column restoration services. I have finished my booth so I thought I'd get back into it since I have a little more time now.

I charge $180 + parts and shipping to completely disassemble, blast, epoxy coat and topcoat your column. Color other than black is an addl 25. It is special order from Totally Auto and is subject to stock on hand and delivery scheduling at their end. Otherwise typical turnaround time for me is 10-14 days + ship time. I will post pics of restored column when I reduce file size.

hi - i need to restore a 74 charger auto on column with cruise control steering column - have you restore those before and do you have a picture of one??

Orange Bird

I have not specifically resorted a 74 with the options you mention so I do not have specific pictures you request. As far as parts are concerned, if the cruise is not working and it centers around the parts attached on the column I would not be able to repair if parts are not available. I have restored a 71-2 floor shift column and may be able to comd through my pictures if that helps. I believe I checked for parts on a different application of a 73-4 B Body column once and had issues with parts. I believe it centered around the "hockey puck" coupler and it was not available for one of the years if I remember correctly.
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Orange Bird

Rudy.., et, all. I am not a big company only a restorer that appreciates good work and will do a respectible job for your project as I would expect if I were sending out parts. As far a steering columns are concerned, I have restored in the neighborhood of 25-30 units - within the B & E Body lines. I will discuss each job with the respective customer as it comes up and will do as good as I can based on expectations. I'd only ask for honest answers to questions I pose and I equate that to car paint jobs in that there is a distince difference between a good $1K paint job that looks great but I strive for a 3K job. If you truely want a 3K job, those take more work and accordingly will be charged more $ - if that makes sense. In other words, if you plan on looking at a good job with a microscope (as I'd expect for a very expensive job) I want to know that going in to be sure I meet expectations, accordingly, in going under the micro, that comes at a higher $ cost.

Beer

When you say parts, does this include the usually Fried connector in the 3rd gen harness?

I am interested, and am doing a 73 automatic Column shift in Black, no cruise.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Orange Bird

That is from your Ign. harness. The switch comes with the connector off the column (I'm unaware of a replacement on the car harness side).  I'd say, however, that if your connector took that much heat and because you are going the extra mile to a restoration the column, I'd replace that switch. I'll do some checking to see if the car harness side is avail as my current info is dated by 6-8 months. I'll let you know about that side.

74roadrunner440

do u replace the ignition switch like pictured burnt  at connector when u do collum or should it be repaced b4 i send it out im verry interested in having mine done by u for a 74 road runner

RD

in your initial post (pic) it shows a new turn signal wiring harness and switch, but the ignition switch is a OEM piece.  do you replace the ignition switch as you can still get them from any autoparts store?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Orange Bird

I will replace whatever my customer is willing to pay for. I can get either an aftermarket switch which is about $65 from one of the local auto parts stores. I was able to get at one time NOS switches from ArizonaParts and they were $85-90 but would take 1-2 weeks to get as the guy only shipped once a week and only took Money Orders so this process took sime time.

I recommend what is needed. If it looks like a wire harness took some heat I would recommend a new switch. That is the way I operate. Although I do charge a small % for parts markup, my $ is in the service portion and I am happy with that. The 70 column can get unreasonable expensive as they have everything in them (cyl, ign, ts, ign lamp, bearings, spacers, seals) when you start the replacement of all components. I have restored columns for customers who simply want everything replaced regardless of working condition and they have run upwards of $750. If you feel you can get a better deal by supplying your own parts, if you shipped them with your column, I don't charge to install your parts as I have to put it back together anyway.

chargergirl

hi,could you tell me where you are located?thanks
Trust your Woobie!

rm1063

Hey orange bird are you still restoring columns?

Mopar Crazy

Do it Once and Do it Right !!!