News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Corner pc quality differences w/pics

Started by oldcarnut, April 06, 2017, 09:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Since I'm going without a vinyl top, I wanted to trim off the molding part off the corner pc's for a cleaner install look.  I didn't want to screw up the Janak parts I bought with my kit (when he only had one grade) so I was able to get another set to modify from somebody else who didn't need them.  I'm saving the better parts for leaving the option to do a vinyl top and as a backup for the others. Some people starting out have asked what's the difference between a good part and lower quality of repops so while I had the two parts unmodified I took a few pics for comparison. My Janak parts have the mounting bolts molded into them in the pics. Maybe other venders do it too but I haven't seen any to know.  The other part, I don't know for certain who made it. The pics can do most of the talking but I'll mention a couple things.  My original kit parts are stiffer, have much crisper edges, smoother surfaces, and a uniform thickness. They also cost more. The other part will need a good bit of massage work.  Anyway the point to make is there are big differences between prices and venders with what they sell so sometimes cheaper is just more work on your behalf and here's an example.  In the long run it will accomplish what I'm looking to do for my needs but if I was trying to go with original style it would be a different story.

oldcarnut

a few more

DAY CLONA

The other piece looks like 'Showcars" product from Canada, the Janak piece is obviously a better quality piece in comparison between the 2, the other either leaves you to become creative in it's mounting, or just having to resort to bonding it on....

Perhaps you missed my recent thread on Bird "corners", Thanks to Troy Hawkes (68hemiCharger here on DC) he lent me his originals to mold off of (originals being potmetal castings) my repros in fiberglass do have the studs installed/embedded during the lay up of fiberglass mat, fiberglass thickness and accuracy are very key in these pcs as they are very thin and shaply, kind like a potato chip!, member Hemi Runner/Mike has my first set, so he's my "barometer" for feedback as to fit/finish and overall "happiness" with my product, it's good to see posts like this, and have feedback from/for others, so we know where to go, and what to avoid

Here's a few pics of my offering

Mike

oldcarnut

I wish I could have found a good studded set to use like Janaks or yours Mike when I ran a wanted add for a damaged set with the vinyl top trim busted I may have got much cheaper to cut up but nothing was avail then by anyone.  I'm grateful for the ones I was given to use as I didn't want to have to fill the corners in or cut up a more expensive set.  Thanks for adding yours to the mix in photos

DAY CLONA

While on the subject of "corners", here's a pic of original "factory" parts side by side to contrast how different both sides of the car and just how different they can be, good visual for those often thinking both sides of any vehicle are the same, this applies to almost any vehicle, not just wingcars

I think these pics came from this site at one time by a member doing a side by side comparison?

Mike

Hemi Runner

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 06, 2017, 05:43:59 PM
The other piece looks like 'Showcars" product from Canada, the Janak piece is obviously a better quality piece in comparison between the 2, the other either leaves you to become creative in it's mounting, or just having to resort to bonding it on....

Perhaps you missed my recent thread on Bird "corners", Thanks to Troy Hawkes (68hemiCharger here on DC) he lent me his originals to mold off of (originals being potmetal castings) my repros in fiberglass do have the studs installed/embedded during the lay up of fiberglass mat, fiberglass thickness and accuracy are very key in these pcs as they are very thin and shaply, kind like a potato chip!, member Hemi Runner/Mike has my first set, so he's my "barometer" for feedback as to fit/finish and overall "happiness" with my product, it's good to see posts like this, and have feedback from/for others, so we know where to go, and what to avoid

Here's a few pics of my offering

Mike
I have those corners as well as fender scoops, headlight doors and and pivot plates from Mike. I'm very pleased with the quality of the parts and the professionalism of dealing with Mike. Great guy who's gone above and beyond with parts and information to keep my project headed in the right direction. Those corners were instrumental in straightening out my rear plug fiasco.