News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Positioning 500 Stripe

Started by C500, April 08, 2017, 04:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Aero folk...

After reading about the bezel colour/stripe colour debates, it seems most 500's had body colour bezels, so running with that here too. Question is, are there dimensions on positioning the stripe correctly across the rump? Or can someone post up some decent close-up side shots?

Some original 500 stripe photos I see have the stripe offset from the cut-out like the first one below. Should the '500' text sit centrally across the horizontal body line? Should the stripe hang slanted toward the back of the car or more vertical... or is any combo of these correct for '69?

Cheers, Dunk  :popcrn: :popcrn:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

triple_green

I had a discussion with my body man about the "V" in the stripe on the trunk lid where the body V's out a little. He says he always follows that contour. And I see this on a lot of restored cars.

Ever factory photo I can find this is not the case. The stripe goes straight across the deck and you can see where the trunk lid V's out a little in the middle.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

C500

Quote from: triple_green on April 08, 2017, 10:26:32 AM
I had a discussion with my body man about the "V" in the stripe on the trunk lid where the body V's out a little. He says he always follows that contour. And I see this on a lot of restored cars.

Ever factory photo I can find this is not the case. The stripe goes straight across the deck and you can see where the trunk lid V's out a little in the middle.

:2thumbs: The factory stripe across the trunk was straight, without the 'v' kink?

Anyone else got any info on the decals over the quarter panel?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

alfaitalia

Quote from: C500 on April 09, 2017, 01:20:05 AM
Quote from: triple_green on April 08, 2017, 10:26:32 AM

:2thumbs: The factory stripe across the trunk was straight, without the 'v' kink?

Anyone else got any info on the decals over the quarter panel?

That's what I've always thought but seen a few pics that seem to contradict that.....if the brown car above is untouched it clearly shows a kinked stripe in the centre of the trunk lid.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

odcics2

You need to find back in the day pics from 69 - 70, before things got changed.   Better yet, maybe someone has an all original car and will post a pic.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

triple_green

From Steve Lehto's book, early factory photo

triple_green

From Lehto's survivor section,,but looks like a restoration to me.

moparchris

Stripes HAVE a corresponding "vee" in them to line up with the profile of the trunk lid.

C500

Thanks all... the shot from Steve's book looks good... will hang it like that. Chris, your paint is original..your stripe too? Is it close to the F8 picture from the book too?

fc7_plumcrazy

here is an ad of a C500 survivor for sale who shows his stripe

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/6079207562.html

Carsten

odcics2

Hmm, 2 different stripes?  Or the "V" appears more pronounced in some...
Maybe early v late build cars??
Here's the original one mentioned above, for sale.

richRTSE

https://goo.gl/images/j6fXbG

This photo of Ryan Brutt's shows the "V" and the centering of the marker light pretty well...

odcics2

Certainly a "V" on this car...     

triple_green

That car looks like it does not have it's original factory paint to me. I stand by my original statement. Any factory photo I have seen, there is not a "V" apparent in the stripe. The V was done on after factory paint jobs by "Chevy" guys who were used to doing 67-69 Camaro RS nose stripes that follow the contour of the car.

richRTSE

Quote from: triple_green on April 12, 2017, 09:39:47 AM
That car looks like it does not have it's original factory paint to me. I stand by my original statement. Any factory photo I have seen, there is not a "V" apparent in the stripe. The V was done on after factory paint jobs by "Chevy" guys who were used to doing 67-69 Camaro RS nose stripes that follow the contour of the car.

http://youtu.be/wLX1h6jvWYs

Watch this vintage road test video of a Hemi Charger 500...at about the 2min25sec mark they specifically talk about the trunk and you can clearly see the "V" in the stripe...  :scope:

:cheers:

bristol

Quote from: richRTSE on April 12, 2017, 04:43:00 PM
Quote from: triple_green on April 12, 2017, 09:39:47 AM

http://youtu.be/wLX1h6jvWYs

Watch this vintage road test video of a Hemi Charger 500...at about the 2min25sec mark they specifically talk about the trunk and you can clearly see the "V" in the stripe...  :scope:

:cheers:

Here's a screenshot.

odcics2

For what it's worth, a brand new 69 Daytona has the "V" at the back end.

triple_green

Here is a factory/ad pic of a 68, clearly clerly showing a V in the stripe. Thanks Dan Hiatt!

69_500

The stripe most certainly comes to a point in the center of the deck lid.

Will snap some pics tonight of my stripe.

I think the green car in the Lehto book has been restored.

C500

Quote from: odcics2 on April 09, 2017, 08:08:21 AM
You need to find back in the day pics from 69 - 70, before things got changed.   Better yet, maybe someone has an all original car and will post a pic.

Love those old black and white pictures btw  :drool5:

C500

Quote from: 69_500 on April 18, 2017, 05:45:27 PM
The stripe most certainly comes to a point in the center of the deck lid.

Will snap some pics tonight of my stripe.

I think the green car in the Lehto book has been restored.

Thanks Danny, if you can post a side-on picture of your stripe, that would be awesome. Hoping to put my stripe on this weekend.