News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

City people vs Country people

Started by RECHRGD, April 10, 2017, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 11, 2017, 02:13:06 AM
Post Deleted....I decided my post was too political........! Will just sit back and laugh at this thread!!! And for the record....country boy born and bred!

:cheers:   It's the same guys stirring the same pot of stereotypes by the 8th post just about every time. It's humorous.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69DAYTONASE

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 10, 2017, 07:43:39 PM
Hell, sometimes your girls just want to carve pumpkins..   :icon_smile_big:

Sure keeps the boys guessing...  :lol:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :lol: :lol: :lol:...Our kids would get along great together! :2thumbs:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

Laowho

Really wonder whether we're not in a Kali Yuga. I do know that every "civilization" has failed, and...How the ** do you not remember how you built a pyramid? Traveled lots after bein Chicago born n bred, and two things kinda stuck w/ me. Money was what made people stupid/ignorant when I compared a region's demographics--in Mexico, if you didn't have Spanish descent and city money, you were dirt, even tho your ancestry went back thousands of years. And in CR, the biggest crabs had the sweetest spreads. Point bein that cities/civilizations seem to make people dumb or narrow, along w/ all the other psychological deficits they create a la Freud's "Civilization and its Discontents." But it's hard to understand how so many massive stars went nova just to create an American suburb full of coddled, hateful dimwits, that this "prosperity" only functions to make people "smaller." If there's any sense in any of this I'd like to know.  :brickwall: There's not any sense in it, of course, just a running joke if you're willing, and Rutgers payin Snookie $32k to speak. But cities don't get to have all the fun...after maybe 12k years of farming, we can still create dust bowls better than anyone.

RallyeMike

QuoteOh shush Mike!  LOL....  Probably a lot of truth in your link.  My point originally was how unprepared most city folks are to deal with a real life emergency.  As far as tax dollar distribution goes, it is still the west side liberal policies that strongly influence how the funds for us "bumpkins" is spent.  So what if you west side folks generate more tax dollars, it doesn't seem to have changed what the original topic addressed.

Once thing that will never change is country folks complaining about city-slickers, and city folks complaining about country bumpkins.

I'm 2-3 years away from heartily adopting your country point of view. :lol:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Tilar

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 10, 2017, 03:17:43 PM

What are you gonna feed those chickens?  Any grain you may have stored will only last you so long and at some point you may want to eat that grain yoursef.

Let an old country boy give just a little education to the city boy...

You can use grain seeds year after year after year as long as they are open-pollinated, or "heirloom" as it's sometimes called. Hybrid seeds will not grow right a second year if they grow at all. You just choose your seeds from say 100 or more different ears spread out across the field. Just search for something like "Using corn seed for next year's planting" or something like that... You'll find out more about the subject than you want to know...but I've probably already told you that much  :rofl:

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Tilar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 10, 2017, 07:20:49 PM
Some states are effectively carrying others.  If the rural states seceded from the big-city coastal states they would be much poorer when the smoke cleared.  

Poorer? I highly doubt it but for the sake of argument I'll say it's possible... realistically though in a situation where there was no power for weeks on end like has been mentioned in this thread, our food supply (us rural farmers anyway) would still be ongoing for a really long time after your local Walmart Super Center runs out of groceries.... And if the rural states stopped sending our food all across the country, all that big-city money probably won't taste too good... even with some Sweet Baby Ray's  ;)

Dave  

69DAYTONASE

Yep, that's why there's a red, white, & blue sticker back of my tractor seat that says: "Farmers feed you 3 times a day"  :slap:

Kern Dog

I'd rather hang out with Bo Duke than some city guy.

Mike DC

QuotePoorer? I highly doubt it but for the sake of argument I'll say it's possible... realistically though in a situation where there was no power for weeks on end like has been mentioned in this thread, our food supply (us rural farmers anyway) would still be ongoing for a really long time after your local Walmart Super Center runs out of groceries.... And if the rural states stopped sending our food all across the country, all that big-city money probably won't taste too good... even with some Sweet Baby Ray's  Wink

The rural states would come out poorer on the whole.  It was true in 1860 and it's still true.  

I don't see it as a contest.  People use the different kinds of land & cities for what they are suited to.  Some industries make more money-per-square-mile than others.  Big deal.  The urban states make more money but you can't eat money.    

Tilar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 14, 2017, 09:02:06 PM
[Big deal.  The urban states make more money but you can't eat money.    

I think that was what I was saying... I truly believe that the farming community is in a way better situation than the city community in the scenario depicted in this thread.
Dave  

Mike DC

Mmm . . maybe, maybe not.  Country folk might survive better in a short-term TSHTF situation, but I'm not convinced about the longer term. 

Look at times when a society starts to crumble in other places around the world.  Being wealthy/powerful usually leaves you better off than any amount of being prepared or self-sufficient.  Reality has a way of spoiling the 'prepper' fantasies.   

Laowho

A 2005 study from Rutgers University theorized that the pre-1492 native population of the Americas are the descendants of only 70 individuals who crossed the land bridge between Asia and North America. Gimme at least 1 Siberian.

JR

Why are country people so infatuated with when stuff goes wrong?

I live in Alabama, and frequently hear country boys say "if SHTF, I can take care of myself!".

It's like country boys LOVE the idea of everything going to hell, and finally getting to live out a wild west/walking dead fantasy.

To me it comes off as a way to try to boost ones confidence, or try to make up for some insecurities elsewhere.

Like, "Gee, Phil over there sure is too smart with all his book-learnin'. And his degree. And his computer. And his good payin' job. I bet if the world ended tomorrow, he wouldn't know what to do, and then I'D be the smart one for a change!..."

I would rather choose to live where people are working to make a better future, instead of planning on just surviving and enjoying watching "stupid city people" suffer and get their "come uppin's" when it all goes wrong.

So with that said, I can't WAIT to leave Alabama.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

cooldude

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 11, 2017, 02:13:06 AM
Post Deleted....I decided my post was too political........! Will just sit back and laugh at this thread!!! And for the record....country boy born and bred!

Not all hardships are apocalyptic.

I seem to remember an event that impacted Britain a few decades back,called World War Two. Thanks to the U boats, and to the needs of the military, there wasnt enough food to go around to keep everyone comfortable. In fact, most things were severely rationed, and extraordinary measures were taken to produce food on every bit of arable land.

Fuel, tires, just about every consumer product was unobtainable. But the people of the time mostly made it, and adapted somehow.

I dont think todays people are made out of tough enough stuff to last under those conditions if it happened today. The cell phone toting idiots of the world would have a mental meltdown and be pretty much useless.

And its bound to happen again, sooner or later. It seems an unfortunate fact that war is the natural condition of humanity, and among nations.

And this just as the weapons of modern war have become far more brutal and devastating, and the people softer, stupider, and  generally less able to adapt.

If todays Britons couldnt handle WW2, how much less could they handle anything worse?

Im not picking on Britain. We are in the same boat.

69DAYTONASE

Quote from: JR on April 15, 2017, 07:52:45 PM

I live in Alabama, and frequently hear country boys say "if SHTF, I can take care of myself!".

It's like country boys LOVE the idea of everything going to hell, and finally getting to live out a wild west/walking dead fantasy.

To me it comes off as a way to try to boost ones confidence, or try to make up for some insecurities elsewhere.

Like, "Gee, Phil over there sure is too smart with all his book-learnin'. And his degree. And his computer. And his good payin' job. I bet if the world ended tomorrow, he wouldn't know what to do, and then I'D be the smart one for a change!..."

I would rather choose to live where people are working to make a better future, instead of planning on just surviving and enjoying watching "stupid city people" suffer and get their "come uppin's" when it all goes wrong.

I think you're confusing self confidence and common sense with an inferiority complex. This is exactly why country people have a problem with city people, because of their superiority attitude. When in fact there isn't any justification for that attitude due to self evident practical reasoning. :slap:

JR

That response is just saying you think my reasoning is wrong, it didn't answer my question.

Besides, "superiority attitude"? This whole thread is a circle jerk of country boys looking down on dem' poor, stupid city folk. "Poor Tom that lives in the city can't gut a deer or reload ammo, he's so duuuuummmmbbbb....".

I would take a second look at which side seems to have the ego and "superiority attitude"  here.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

chargerbr549

I thinks it's kind of interesting hearing both sides of "City people vs County people" debate. Here's my experience on this matter, I grew up in a farm/ranch community where cowboy, rodeo, county boy was the culture and I would have been classified as a "city slicker" and as far as the people having the "attitude" was alot of the county folk and cowboys, alot of them looked down on you because you weren't "tuff" like them, and alot of them acted like they were just flat out superior to you. I dealt with alot of people over the years when I was a partsmen at an auto parts store and alot of the older farmer/rancher guys were generally pretty cool to deal with its just when you started dealing with alot of the younger ones that could make your day suck as far as dealing with the public! I no longer live there and don't have to deal with the PUBLIC!!!!

A funny story about dealing with a country cowboy out at my cousins branding (they were cool cousins, they wore baseball caps, rode motorcycles, they had hot rods and their pickup trucks didn't define them) I used to always go out and help out along with several of my city slicker cousins, me and my cousins would wrestle the calves and we would all take breaks once in a while and grab a soda, or water and just chill for a minute and this cowboy that was roping calves came over to me and got in my face and said I hadn't worked hard enough to take a break and so I kindly replied that "if I was just riding a horse like he was I wouldn't have to take a break either" and of course he exploded and called me a blankety blank city slicker and came off of his horse and grabbed his son, made a big scene, and he was going to show me how it's all done, well they couldn't get calf down and of course the calf was hell bent on running all over with the rope attached and trying to clothesline everbody till the roper finally let the rope go,  needless to say he made a complete a$$ out of himself while everbody watched, it was kind of comical!!!

cooldude

A lot of the "country people"of today are just city transplants who have a little money, and they can be obnoxious, just as you described.

Those monied outsiders arent really country people at all. The Floridiots are probably the worst. Californians probably would be if they were here in large numbers, but here in the South, its the Floridians who are the creeps who invade, sort of like Kudzu.

The traditional "country people" of yesterday are largely gone. They believed in God and family,and had a little back bone. They were willing to make sacrifices for the good of the family. But its largely not like that anymore.

Todays country people are a wreck and ruin compared to their ancestors. Starting with the baby boomers, they sold off the family land just as soon as they inherited it, and wasted the money on the stupidest old stuff you could imagine. They wanted the image of being a big shot for a little while.

They didnt care that they had cut of the following generations from the land, and scattered and weakened the generations to come. Family values meant nothing to them. They went on cruises , made really stupid investments in markets they didnt understand or take the time to investigate for themselves (just for the optics of it) and lived large for a while, till the money was gone,which didnt take long. They only thought about themselves, and a short term, quick pop of cash. Screw everybody else.

And they sold out the land to the Floridians, who came into the small towns with the attitude of taking over the local government and making everywhere a politically correct hell hole, just like Florida and California.

So, the rural South is largely overrun by the scum of the earth from outside, taking over from the scum of the earth locals.

So, I dont have much hope for the future of the "country people", as they are now. So I have decided to just enjoy my old Mopar  (which seems to upset the status quo scummy people), and just be a rebel against conformity. No zippy rice burners or Pee Wee Herman sissy cars for me.

Thats one thing I like about the old Mopars. They seem to project a sense of rebellion against the plastic people. But hey, wasnt that the whole point of them, all along ?

Laowho

Quote from: JR on April 15, 2017, 07:52:45 PM

In our 2.5 million year "development" cooperation was the norm, and we've had to be disabused of the notion that Cro-Magnon killed off Neanderthals--any gingers out there? If I wanna know whether anyone is worth a horse's a** I ask myself whether I'd let them walk my dog. Degrees and manure spreaders have nuthin to do with it. Here's what we're capable of, and what people have been doin throughout most of human history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se_fYZRbyJs

Peace

(Oh, I can't wait to be called a hippie or a commie)

XH29N0G

OK,  I'll call you a hippie or a commie.   :smilielol: 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Laowho

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 16, 2017, 08:44:14 AM
OK,  I'll call you a hippie or a commie.   :smilielol:  

Thank Yo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0p6VtgxbH0

BTW, just so y'all don't think I can't parse with the rest, I'd let Kern Dog walk my dog, but only the male.  :scratchchin:

69DAYTONASE

I'd let Kern Dog shoot the coy dogs in the woods behind my place! :smilielol: :shruggy: :lol:

Kern Dog

I actually am a decent shot. I could have been a sniper in the Army but I do not have the patience or the bladder to sit for 3 days waiting for 1 shot !

BDF

OK, Bottom line = CANNIBALISM  :eek2:
Who is more nutritious?
"Carry on"...  :popcrn:

XH29N0G

Are we headed next to a discussion of free range/organic/hormone-free?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....