News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car show observations...

Started by Kern Dog, April 12, 2017, 04:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I enjoy car shows. My favorites are the shows with the swap meet on site. I try to make every Mopar show in my state but my favorite is the Spring Fling in Van Nuys CA. They hold the show in a nice city park. Plenty of grass, trees for shade, picnic tables for snack time.
This past weekend I was there for the 16th time in the Spring. They have a show in the Fall but I usually only make that show every other year.
The forecast of rain scared off lots of people. Their car count on Saturday was about half of their average. Sunday was much better, presumably because no rain was expected.
As I walked the show cars on Sunday, I was approached by a guy that I have never liked.
We all have these guys that we know. People that are annoying or just plain weird. This guy gives most people the creeps. You almost feel the need to take a shower after being near the guy. He used to live in Northern CA and was a member of our local Mopar club but moved south several years ago. I thought I was rid of him when he moved. Now, every time I go to the show in Van Nuys, I see this guy. Now, just talking to the guy I get the feeling that he must be into some odd shit. He is in his 50s, never married, works in politics as a lobbyist and stands too damn close. After watching several episodes of Criminal Minds over the years, I wonder if the guy has heads in his freezer or samples of womens hair he collected without them knowing.
This guy comes up to me while I'm looking at the cars. He wants me to look at his Road Runner to help with a "No-Start" problem. I tell him I'd head over after looking at the cars.
He responds...."Oh, Okay, I'll just walk along with you."
Oh GREAT!
This dork followed me like a lost puppy. I was civil to him but NOT trying to extend any conversation, making short responses to his various ramblings. Finally we make it through the cars and headed over to look at his car.
He tells me..."It wouldn't start yesterday so I bought a battery. This morning it was dead again and needed a jump start".
I looked at the battery cables. The NEG cable was so loose, an emphysema patient could BLOW and knock the terminal off the battery. I twisted it and told him to twist the key. It fired right up.
I asked..."Did you check this battery terminal when you installed the battery?"
With no shame in his voice, he said..."Uhhh, I had my mechanic install it."
(I would feel like an idiot to have someone else install a battery or change my tire. How does a car guy let someone else do such basic stuff on their car?)
THEN I tried to duck out...."Okay, I'm going to check out the swap meet again."
He comes back with..."Oh, maybe I'll tag along to see if there is anything I need."  (As if he would know what to do with an intake manifold or spark plugs)
Son of a bitch. This fucker is about the most clueless dork you can imagine. I keep trying to politely get away and he hangs on like dog shit on a work boot.
I said...."Hey..Why don't you get with some of the guys in the car club to walk you through some of the basics about these cars? Surely there are plenty of people that could help you out."
"Ah, well... they like to razz me because they know I'm in politics".
"Really? That would only be a problem if you were some jerkoff Liberal."
(Here it comes... the MONEY shot)
He admits..."Well, I DID vote for Hillary Clinton."
Ever have a point in a situation where EVERYthing just instantly makes sense?
THIS was it. This was that moment.
I told the guy that I had to walk away. I couldn't bring myself to be polite to the guy anymore.
This is true. It happened 2 days ago.

69DAYTONASE

Geez, they must be everywhere! ::)
There's a guy around here that while a nice enough person just, well- stinks! He's a chain smoker and smells like he hasn't taken a bath in 2 months all the time. Likes to get in TOO close while talking, I think he may have a hearing problem which would explain the "personal space" invasion because he's not a homo, I know he has a wife & family. Nice enough guy but dang too ripe to stand near. :eek2:
Then there's Mr. Mopar "know it all" who likes to tell me everything about Daytonas even though he doesn't own one and never has. When I first met this guy he was picking my car apart and I finally asked him where his Daytona was so I could look at one that was done right. "Well....I don't own one right now, but someday." Errrrrr-duh! :shruggy:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 12, 2017, 04:07:09 AM
I asked..."Did you check this battery terminal when you installed the battery?"
With no shame in his voice, he said..."Uhhh, I had my mechanic install it."
(I would feel like an idiot to have someone else install a battery or change my tire. How does a car guy let someone else do such basic stuff on their car?)

When I was reviewing the receipts to my Bird, the longest time wise owner used to take his car to places for everything - oil changes, ect....   I even found a receipt to Best Buy from the 90's when he had a stereo and speakers installed.. Can you imagine bringing in a Superbird to a Best Buy for a install? :o

If a person doesn't know the basics, then they shouldn't own an old car.   
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Ponch ®

Was this a guy in a 73ish silver roadrunner?

Either way, thanks for coming down to the show. Next time we should have a dc.com meet and greet.

As far as the weird people...well, im a CPW member so it would be bad form to bad mouth our guests. But yeah, theres some interesting folks...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ODZKing

We've got'em over on this side of the country as well. My opinion of car shows has changed much in the last 12 years. When I first got the 67 it was off to every show and cruise in I could find.
Now we pick and choose and usually try to find ones that have a "fun field" section. This is kind of Chebby country here. I would get disappointed when the most basic of SS Malibu would win first over a beautiful, clean, well maintained Chrysler 300.
Most all-car shows here no little about Mopars and their uniqueness. Quick story about that, several years ago we went to the Norwich (NY) car show, which we used to frequent each year. Not paying attention to class we were in we parked, had a nice day etc. Trophy time ... we WON! Yep, Best convertible with our 67 Charger. When trying to explain it is a Charger ... I was told "well, that is what class you're in". I still have the trophy to prove it ... Duh!
But we go for non-judged now. I have proven I can win a trophy and I certainly don't need any more. It also provides us the opportunity to leave when we want to. We just want to go, relax, enjoy some nice people who come by and the sunshine which is a rarity in itself around here.
But do the kooks come around, sure do.  ::)

Kern Dog

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 13, 2017, 10:21:27 AM

Either way, thanks for coming down to the show. Next time we should have a dc.com meet and greet.

As far as the weird people...well, im a CPW member so it would be bad form to bad mouth our guests. But yeah, theres some interesting folks...

The guy owns the 74 Road Runner that looks like a Great White shark. The silver paint stops just above the lower 12"of the car with white below. It is a sunroof car with an overdrive 4 speed and slotted wheels. He bought it when he lived up in Sacramento.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 12, 2017, 04:07:09 AM

This dork followed me like a lost puppy. I was civil to him but NOT trying to extend any conversation, making short responses to his various ramblings.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

Ponch ®

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 13, 2017, 01:30:38 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on April 13, 2017, 10:21:27 AM

The guy owns the 74 Road Runner that looks like a Great White shark. The silver paint stops just above the lower 12"of the car with white below. It is a sunroof car with an overdrive 4 speed and slotted wheels. He bought it when he lived up in Sacramento.

Wears sweatpants and has a 90s era film camera hanging around his neck?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

69DAYTONASE

Quote from: ODZKing on April 13, 2017, 11:08:43 AM
We've got'em over on this side of the country as well. My opinion of car shows has changed much in the last 12 years. When I first got the 67 it was off to every show and cruise in I could find.
Now we pick and choose and usually try to find ones that have a "fun field" section. This is kind of Chebby country here. I would get disappointed when the most basic of SS Malibu would win first over a beautiful, clean, well maintained Chrysler 300.
Most all-car shows here no little about Mopars and their uniqueness. Quick story about that, several years ago we went to the Norwich (NY) car show, which we used to frequent each year. Not paying attention to class we were in we parked, had a nice day etc. Trophy time ... we WON! Yep, Best convertible with our 67 Charger. When trying to explain it is a Charger ... I was told "well, that is what class you're in". I still have the trophy to prove it ... Duh!
But we go for non-judged now. I have proven I can win a trophy and I certainly don't need any more. It also provides us the opportunity to leave when we want to. We just want to go, relax, enjoy some nice people who come by and the sunshine which is a rarity in itself around here.
But do the kooks come around, sure do.  ::)

Wow! Those judges sure knew their stuff, I didn't know the 1st gen chargers came in retractable hardtop form.  :smilielol: :shruggy:
Chevy country for sure, makes me pretty sleepy seeing all the 57's ,camaros, and novas....talk about boring! :rotz:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

Kern Dog

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 13, 2017, 02:29:05 PM

Yes.
Also is balding , about 5'9 and has a nasally voice.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 13, 2017, 10:51:30 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on April 13, 2017, 02:29:05 PM

Yes.
Also is balding , about 5'9 and has a nasally voice.

Haha. I have the pleasure of knowing the guy.  Your assessment is not wrong - and ill leave it at that. He's quite a schnorrer, among other things.

Kern Dog

I am friendly to anyone and everyone that is friendly to me. It often bites me in the ass because guys like Pat glom onto anyone that will listen to them.