News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Car related" uses for an ipad 1?

Started by Ponch ®, April 12, 2017, 10:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Ok, this one is for the tech savvy folks here.
My rib and i were doing some spring cleaning and came across our old ipad1.

It still works, although as you probably know, its kinda useless since Apple doesnt provide software support updates anymore. That being said, weve tried selling it for practically nothing to no avail. Still, its too good of a device to simply give or throw away.

Between our phones and newer tablets, weve got plenty of stuff for the house. The (newer) cars both have uconnects.

I know i can use it to surf the web and listen to music. But Im thinking that what id really like to do with it is find a way to mount it on my Satellite and hopefully use it as some sort of dash for the car. But i have no clue what or how. Any ideas?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

lukedukem

i use an old iPhone 4 for my speedo in my charger with an app. i haven't replaced the gear in my trans to correct the speedo.
I'm not sure how you could use it for other gauges. if it had an OBD port i think you could.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Ponch ®

Quote from: lukedukem on April 12, 2017, 11:11:40 AM
i use an old iPhone 4 for my speedo in my charger with an app. i haven't replaced the gear in my trans to correct the speedo.
I'm not sure how you could use it for other gauges. if it had an OBD port i think you could.

Luke

I have a speedomoeter app on my android phone which also had an odometer / trip distance feature. Kinda handy since i  dont have a working speedo or gas gauge. Only thing is finding an app thatll still run on the ancient ipad.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

lukedukem

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 12, 2017, 12:18:44 PM
Quote from: lukedukem on April 12, 2017, 11:11:40 AM

Luke

I have a speedomoeter app on my android phone which also had an odometer / trip distance feature. Kinda handy since i  dont have a working speedo or gas gauge. Only thing is finding an app thatll still run on the ancient ipad.

What iPad do you have, i have the iPad 3, i bought it new in 2012. it has a speedometer app on it and it runs fine. the app actually only runs on older stuff. it wont run on my phone anymore. it might work for you.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

John_Kunkel

Early WiFi-only ipads do not have a GPS, only ipads with 3g do. GPS capability is needed for all the speed apps.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ponch ®

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 25, 2017, 02:57:07 PM
Early WiFi-only ipads do not have a GPS, only ipads with 3g do. GPS capability is needed for all the speed apps.

Its an ipad 1.  :-\

So i guess the speedo idea is out.

Id say i would load it up w songs and use it as a player, but my phone already does that.

Damn, this thing really is useless. 🤔