News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi powered motorcycle...

Started by BLK 68 R/T, April 13, 2017, 04:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLK 68 R/T

69DAYTONASE

The engine is the only thing right! Not rideable without burning the heck out of your legs and the bike itself is butt ugly! :eek2:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

ws23rt

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on April 13, 2017, 04:29:24 PM
Looks interesting....
https://swmi.craigslist.org/mcy/6084755934.html

I saw this bike years ago and had many questions about it.

This is my long time project that (for me) answers most of my questions about something like this orange bike.
My effort was to make it actually work with as much practical sense as I could muster. :lol:
I do admit that this is mostly just mechanical art of my sort. :slap:

ws23rt

Quote from: 69DAYTONASE on April 13, 2017, 04:41:54 PM
The engine is the only thing right! Not rideable without burning the heck out of your legs and the bike itself is butt ugly! :eek2:

I agree with you on both counts.  BTW I read the ad and the sales pitch. :slap:  I think I understand their hope to get back something of their investment. Good luck on that. :smilielol:
IMO this was created with the primary (and only) intent was to make it move down the road.  I suspect it will do that but little else.

However in my case--mine has yet to run. :shruggy:  Life has bogged me down but I do intend to make it go.

Mine has manual shift 727 trans. with reverse. Left foot shifted. I wanted a conventional motorcycle with a --proper-- engine. ;)

69DAYTONASE

Now....there's the difference between yours and the orange one. You're not only looks nice, but thought has gone into design execution with respect to ridability. Nice really! :2thumbs: soooo....when do I get to roll on that hemi power? :icon_smile_cool:

ws23rt

Quote from: 69DAYTONASE on April 13, 2017, 08:53:24 PM
Now....there's the difference between yours and the orange one. You're not only looks nice, but thought has gone into design execution with respect to ridability. Nice really! :2thumbs: soooo....when do I get to roll on that hemi power? :icon_smile_cool:

That is the most asked question from all my friends.
I started this about 12 years ago and was working full time.--It was an outlet for extra energy and play with life.
I now am drifting into retirement and that change is just one of several changes I am dealing with.
What has not left me is the fun of just making a vision work.  I am close enough that giving up on it is not an option. :slap:

I do need to add --that like many projects that we all talk about.--The journey of the build is where most of the satisfaction comes from.
When it is done--then what? :slap: :lol:

I've had a few finished cars and with nothing left to do to them I'm am left with the question?   What now?

69DAYTONASE

What now? Why, give it to your new buddy Kevin and let's see what it'll do in the 1/4 and flat out top end. Take it to Hammondsport, NY when they have bike weekend! Safe to say that if Glenn Curtiss were here he'd give his nod of approval just before he saddled up for another V8 bike ride himself! :2thumbs:

RCCDrew

Quote from: ws23rt on April 13, 2017, 09:17:58 PM

I started this about 12 years ago and was working full time.--It was an outlet for extra energy and play with life.
I now am drifting into retirement and that change is just one of several changes I am dealing with.
What has not left me is the fun of just making a vision work.  I am close enough that giving up on it is not an option. :slap:

I do need to add --that like many projects that we all talk about.--The journey of the build is where most of the satisfaction comes from.

I've had a few finished cars and with nothing left to do to them I'm am left with the question?   What now?

That is so awesome!! Building a Mopar powered V8 motorcycle is on my bucket list. Just buying a Boss Hoss is not an option. I would love to see a build thread on this somewhere or more information.

ws23rt

Quote from: RCCDrew on April 14, 2017, 08:40:03 AM
Quote from: ws23rt on April 13, 2017, 09:17:58 PM

That is so awesome!! Building a Mopar powered V8 motorcycle is on my bucket list. Just buying a Boss Hoss is not an option. I would love to see a build thread on this somewhere or more information.

Their is no build thread on this.
I started with a KB alum water block and mopar alum. heads. It's a 472 CI with stock hemi grind cam. Port fuel injected with 80mm throttle body feeding the -bottom- of the intake manifold to leave room for the back bone frame and gas tank.
To make the 727 trans. work I had to raise it five inches. So my own fabricated offset drive takes up the bellhousing area. In place of the transmission tail shaft housing is my scratch built right angle gear box that drives both sides of the rear wheel.
The left handle bar lever pulls a cable that opens a gate valve on the valve body to relax the trans clutches for manual (left foot shifted) gear change. ( I tested this system to work with an electric motor.)
The radiator is a 14"x16"x2" Griffin made to my measurments and is under the trans. pan. The front end is Honda Valkyrie mounted to my 1 1/2" thick alum timing chain cover. It also covers the coolent ports and connects to an electric water pump.
It's been an adventure of solving one problem at a time.

chargerbr549

I used to live right by Sturgis Sd and always went to the Sturgis Bike Rally,  I always enjoyed seeing different bike creations that people would come up with, some were practical and rideable and others were mainly mechanical art. I liked seeing and hearing the Boss Hosses with their BBC's but seeing a 2nd gen Hemi rumbling down the street would be pretty awesome!!!

ws23rt

Quote from: chargerbr549 on April 14, 2017, 09:13:53 PM
I used to live right by Sturgis Sd and always went to the Sturgis Bike Rally,  I always enjoyed seeing different bike creations that people would come up with, some were practical and rideable and others were mainly mechanical art. I liked seeing and hearing the Boss Hosses with their BBC's but seeing a 2nd gen Hemi rumbling down the street would be pretty awesome!!!

Thanks for that observation from a place/event that I have never been to.
My original intent was to make this work as best I could as a bike.
It is not intended to be a dragster. I always expected it to be just a cruser with extra. :lol:
The truth is that if it made full power it would kill the drive system I made. I expect that tire spin would be the vent to save my effort with the drive parts. The gearing would put it over 200 mph by the numbers. :eek2:
My original intent was for it to work just like a motorcycle and be something a biker would feel at home with in the seat.
The Boss Hosses gave me a boost --in that what I was doing was not just silly.
The Boss Hoss big block bikes are truly awesome. BTW I have no riding experience with them.
All I have to say about -Boss Hoss- is they chose the wrong engine for their effort. :slap:

RCCDrew

Well I like it! The biggest issue I have been thinking about is the rear drive. I would like to use a 727 like you did, but I was thinking about using a 4wd trans and bolting it to a 9" Ford center. Then an axle shaft on one side with a chain drive to the rear wheel. I think it would be too long though, and would end up a hard tail. The sidewinder V8s mount the engine sideways and use Harley transmissions. Makes the bike more compact. I would like to learn more about your setup.

70 sublime

Question

With this big of motor with that much mass in a bike mounted long ways does the bike want to roll over if you hit the gas too quick from the twist like a motor tries to lift in a car ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

alfaitalia

It must be massive. I've ridden a few BMW R series bikes and even with a little 900 or 1000 cc flat twin laying along the bike the torque created just tweeking the throttle in neutral try's to twist the bike out from under you with a sway to one side.....with that mighty V8 eight I would expect it to fall on its side with heavy throttle usage!!!.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!