News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 - 70 Tail lights baffled me.

Started by Cudapower, April 21, 2017, 09:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cudapower

I dug out a pair of 69  charger tail lights to sell and decided to clean them up. I took the lenses off and to my surprise one is marked w69 and is all red plastic. The other is marked w70 and is also all red plastic, however on the inside of the lens at the middle bulb there is an additional 6 inch clear textured plastic insert on the inside of the lens. It is original and heat riveted to the inside curve of the lens. The back up lights are down on the lower pan so it is not for back up. There is also no clear panel on the outside of the lens so I cant even see it when it is installed.  Does anyone know what that was for and when the change was made from 69 to 70? Thanks

Charger-Bodie

In 70 the required a safety reflector. Someone will chime in with a more detailed explanation I'm sure.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

pipeliner

^^^ You are correct. 70 have the reflective lens in them.

dual fours

How about this, if your 1970 Charger was built in the first months of production, last five months of 1969, you may find many if not all with 1969 non reflective tail lights lenses. My backup lenses are 1969 dated also. My Charger has a build date of Oct. 15, 1969.
If your 1970 Charger has a build date starting Jan.1, 1970 then it would have to meet the reflective tail light safety requirements for the calendar year of 1970.   
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Kern Dog

My 70 has a matched pair of lenses with the reflectors. The car has a DEC 1969 date on the door decal. Either my car got an early set of the correct 1970 lenses or they were replaced sometime in the time before I got the car.

pipeliner

Quote from: dual fours on April 21, 2017, 11:06:23 PM
How about this, if your 1970 Charger was built in the first months of production, last five months of 1969, you may find many if not all with 1969 non reflective tail lights lenses. My backup lenses are 1969 dated also. My Charger has a build date of Oct. 15, 1969.
If your 1970 Charger has a build date starting Jan.1, 1970 then it would have to meet the reflective tail light safety requirements for the calendar year of 1970.   

You also probably have a 69 Decklid. I forgot about the early build cars.

Cudapower

My 70 Charger is the extremely rare transition model. It has one of both.

Just kidding -  since the lens has paint stick writing on one side, it has obviously been replaced from one out of a junk yard.

Thanks for the information. I was not aware of those 70 lenses being like that. 

Dodge Don

70 Chargers built in 1969 had lenses without the reflectors. Any built after January 1, 1970 had to conform with new law requiring reflectors.