News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Dashboard removal

Started by 1batt4u, April 17, 2017, 10:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1batt4u

So I removed everything off the dash. When it was the dash's turn I noticed screws on the bottom side of dash, then looked where else and looking in and around the dash, I noticed screws forward of the dash. After browsing around, I found out that the windshield has to be removed in order to remove those screws and get the dash out. Crazy!

There is no way to get those screws out??

birdsandbees

Screws are too long to even get out with a wrench I believe... before they'd hit the windshield.

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

1batt4u

green69rt

Quote from: 1batt4u on April 17, 2017, 10:27:55 PM
Ahhh that sucks!!

Thank you!!

Ah cricket, you have learned one of the joys of working on 2nd Gen Chargers.

More seriously, there are 5 across the front, one on each side that go into the kick panel/door post area and two that go from the steering column brace into the dash.  Plus miscellaneous cables, braces, etc. that hold other things in place.  Document/bag and tag everything well.

1batt4u

Thank you! This is my second car I'm restoring. First was a DeLorean.  I got hang of doing it, the Charger is much easier and way roomy to fit in places compared to delorean.

I really want the dash removed for the moment to get it painted and remove heater box and paint rest of frame in there.

I was thinking if I tried snapping off those screws, that way they are short, remove them from on top. One day when its time to do work aaround the glass, have it removed and put new screws in.

What do you think?

green69rt

Quote from: 1batt4u on April 18, 2017, 04:27:54 PM
Thank you! This is my second car I'm restoring. First was a DeLorean.  I got hang of doing it, the Charger is much easier and way roomy to fit in places compared to delorean.

I really want the dash removed for the moment to get it painted and remove heater box and paint rest of frame in there.

I was thinking if I tried snapping off those screws, that way they are short, remove them from on top. One day when its time to do work aaround the glass, have it removed and put new screws in.

What do you think?
I really don't know about snapping the bolts off.  My guess is that you would have to grind the heads off and again the windshield is in the way.  I would guess that you will end up cracking the windshield.  It's not hard to remove the windshield, just ask around on this site.  Hardest part is getting the trim off and that's not too bad.. 

1batt4u

Quote from: green69rt on April 18, 2017, 08:00:01 PM
Quote from: 1batt4u on April 18, 2017, 04:27:54 PM

What do you think?
I really don't know about snapping the bolts off.  My guess is that you would have to grind the heads off and again the windshield is in the way.  I would guess that you will end up cracking the windshield.  It's not hard to remove the windshield, just ask around on this site.  Hardest part is getting the trim off and that's not too bad.. 

Ok thank you! I'll see what to do.

birdsandbees

If you're going to take the windshield out anyhow later.. just bite the bullet now. If it's the original 48 year old rubber seal just take a carpet knife and cut it back away from the glass and simply lift the glass out and put it somewhere safe if the glass is in good shape. Buy a new seal for installation. If the rubber is still soft.. unlock the lock "tab" all the way around, lube and remove the windshield.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

1batt4u

The rubber seals were replaced few years ago by previous owner. My car is a DOH movie car. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125845.msg1564932.html#msg1564932

The windshield has no tint on it because that's what they use for movie cars, so definitely scared of it getting damaged. I'll look into finding someone to help me remove it. Thing is don't have too much space where to keep the glass and in a safe spot.

green69rt

Quote from: 1batt4u on April 19, 2017, 12:45:27 PM
Thing is don't have too much space where to keep the glass and in a safe spot.

What about keeping it in the bedroom or kitchen?   :smilielol: