News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Revive Superbird vinyl roof

Started by boss429kiwi, April 18, 2017, 10:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hey.

My Superbirds Vinyl roof is "blotchy" in a couple of places.
It looks like some of the colour has been stripped out of it?
Any suggestions how I can revive the vinyl roof.

cheers
Gary 
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

A383Wing

Mequiars make a leather & vinyl reconditioner product in a plastic bottle, might try that?

Davtona

"Back in the early 70's Turtle Wax use to make a vinyl top wax that came in a can just like a can of paste wax for your car. It came in ether black or white, depending on your car's top color. You would wax your vinyl top just like waxing your car. I use to do my top once a year back then, and that stuff work great. I still have the original vinyl top on my 69 car today and its in perfect shape. Then for some reason Turtle wax must of stop making it. Have not seen it in years. Today I just wash my top with a mild car soap like Meguiar's Gold Class, and put nothing on it. I wish Turtle Wax still made it."

Above is a quote from a post over on Moparts. I too remember using this stuff on a black top and I can vouch it worked good. It went on with a supplied applicator / dried and then you buffed it. It was like a black colored wax.  :Twocents:

Laowho

Best thing we tried (learned from vinyl workers) was Goop hand cleaner. Absolutely cleaned every little crevice in our seats and revived to like new. But if after this you still have blotching/color loss, you'll need something like Klean Strip Bulldog Adhesion Promoter and Classic's OER Interior Paint or some such. Did a lotta research to try to understand what made various "paints for vinyls" work, and this was the recipe we came up with. Some say that denatured alcohol will work to open the vinyl pores to accept paint also. But first, and what you'll need anyway, is the Goop.