News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Impressions on the new Dodge Demon?

Started by 66FBCharger, April 19, 2017, 11:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

So the Demon was finally unveiled recently at the NY Auto show.
I am amazed at all the engineering that has gone into this car. In my opinion, this car is the modern day version of the '68 HEMI Darts/Barracudas.
What do you think of the car? Will people race them, drive them or will they all get put away in a garage for the next 25 years? If you had the chance, would you buy one?
I would like to buy one. I would drive it during the spring and summer. I doubt I would race it. I would like to enjoy the car, instead of buying it for "an investment".
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Aero426

I believe "most" will get put away.    And not put away wet, if you know what I mean.

Outrageous technology package that essentially gives you a street legal drag car.  

It is not affordable in the sense that a Hemi Road Runner was still reachable for a working class guy in 1968.   So let's keep it in perspective.   It is a high end halo car like the Viper once was.  

After the dealer gouge,  it will be even more expensive.   Again out of the reach of most of us.    

What will the high water performance mark be?   Is this it?    What is next?  

It's cool, but no, I don't want one.    

RCCDrew

Quote from: Aero426 on April 19, 2017, 12:28:25 PM

What will the high water performance mark be?   Is this it?    What is next?  

THAT is the million dollar question. 

RallyeMike

Nobody is going to make a profit packing one away in mothballs. Years from now the bar on supercars will be raised even higher and nobody will want a car that you wont be able to get technical support or parts for.

Drive it and enjoy it.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

DAY CLONA

While the performance and technology are awesome, (it should be, they've had 100+ yrs developing the automobile) the mud bog flares and Ford Mustang styled hood along with the Chubbenger's already bloated looks do little in the styling dept for me to start selling off some toys to buy one

It's sad that Dodge canned it's flagship the Viper, and kept this tugboat to carry the torch

RCCDrew

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 19, 2017, 02:42:17 PM
Nobody is going to make a profit packing one away in mothballs. Years from now the bar on supercars will be raised even higher and nobody will want a car that you wont be able to get technical support or parts for.

Drive it and enjoy it.
That's strange seeing this quote on this site.  :shruggy:

Getting technical support in 30 years will probably be easier. You will have the whole FSM downloaded into the chip in your head. Or something like that.

RCCDrew

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 19, 2017, 10:42:42 PM
While the performance and technology are awesome, (it should be, they've had 100+ yrs developing the automobile) the mud bog flares and Ford Mustang styled hood along with the Chubbenger's already bloated looks do little in the styling dept for me to start selling off some toys to buy one

It's sad that Dodge canned it's flagship the Viper, and kept this tugboat to carry the torch
No good to have a flagship that no one buys. Yeah the flares could have been prettier, but fast cars are often ugly, ala 68 Hemi Dart and Daytona. The Daytona is pretty to US now, but back then...

INTMD8

I think it's a neat car. The wheels and tires seem small compared to the size of the car and the new flares.

Would like to see a manual trans option as well.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

crj1968

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 19, 2017, 10:42:42 PM

Word. The flares and hood all looks like bolt on afterthoughts...

I mean seriously, look at how kick ass the ACR is/was.

gtx6970

its ugly , its fast , its expensive and its only the top dog for now. As technologies advances the bar will be raised again in a few years

Oh, and I have ZERO interest to own one. I'll  take a Viper GTS coupe of any year over it any day .

I'll be retiring in the next few years in southern AZ and am seriously considering a Viper instead of an old car as a play toy .

alfaitalia

Viper.....big clumsy GT car......way too big,  heavy and lumbering to ever be considered a sports car. Not for me! Over here it even races in GT rather than sports class....and gets its ass kicked every time! Sports cars are light powerful and above all agile (IMO!)...the viper is only one of those. :lol:. It could just be the differences in what the US and Euro residents consider a Sports car. Thinking about it I cant really think of any true US sports cars.....no....going very fast in a straight line is NOT a sports car!

EDIT: Just seen a Top Gear test in the new 700 plus horse Ford GT....that's a proper American sports car! Even if the purists are saying it should be V8!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Q5XX29

I for one, really think it is cool. And I agree- reminiscent of the '68 super stock LO23 Hemi Darts (and Barracudas). In fact, I might get one in white to match my LO23 Dart. I wasn't as excited about the Hellcat- cool and all, but wasn't "over the top" enough for me. But a car that can wheelstand and break DEEP into the 9s from the factory? Ultra cool as far as I'm concerned.
dakota_gt on Instagram

RCCDrew

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 21, 2017, 08:53:14 AM
Viper.....big clumsy GT car......way too big,  heavy and lumbering to ever be considered a sports car. Not for me! Over here it even races in GT rather than sports class....and gets its ass kicked every time! Sports cars are light powerful and above all agile (IMO!)...the viper is only one of those. :lol:. It could just be the differences in what the US and Euro residents consider a Sports car. Thinking about it I cant really think of any true US sports cars.....no....going very fast in a straight line is NOT a sports car!

EDIT: Just seen a Top Gear test in the new 700 plus horse Ford GT....that's a proper American sports car! Even if the purists are saying it should be V8!
Wow, I guess the Nurburgring must be perfect for clumsy heavy cars, lol.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/2016-dodge-viper-acr-is-undisputed-track-record-king-300171797.html

alfaitalia

Not exactly the average Viper model though....and Mercedes excepted...all the ones above it are proper sports cars. Vipers don't sell many in Europe.........they are a bit to USA styled for Euro tastes I think (maybe the old school long hood)....I don't have a problem with it but my pounds (if I had that many...which I don't....nearly double the cost here) would go elsewhere.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

RCCDrew

I really think that Vipers got a reputation for being too much to handle. Very minimal on the driver assist crap. The viper won't bail out your average driver. I think that reputation really hurt sales. And the Vette is just as much car for a lower price.

gtx6970

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 21, 2017, 08:53:14 AM

This might be all very true. But I don't buy a car based on track performance. I buy for ME the draws for  ME for a car purchase is comfort, performance and looks. And in the looks dept  ( IMO ) the Challenger does nothing for me for the most part ( and this new Demon thing is the ugliest yet  ) has NOTHING on a Viper.
In all honesty I personally would rather have an 5.7 Hemi or maybe even an SRT8 Charger. Plus I don't feel the need for a 1000 hp street car.
I want fast,  looks, comfort,  AC  and fast with the AC on . IF / When the time comes, I'll probably be looking at box stock  1996 - 2000 Vipers partially due to price ranges and looks. And again, they're more than fast enough for me .

When that time comes, I might decide on old car, If so,,,,,I'm  going to look at 67 or 68 Chrysler 300 convertibles. Big old land yachts that can cruise comfortably at 100 with the AC on without breaking a sweat. With a few modern brake / suspension upgrades it'll do anything / everything I need it to do . My issue is  the prices I see these cars advertised at, a Viper GTS looks better and better .

Ive toyed with the idea to do an older car with all modern drivetrain , OD auto, , Ac , nice brakes , etc etc . But at my age doing another full blown resto is likely not going to happen. So that knocks this idea down pretty far.

crj1968

Quote from: gtx6970 on April 21, 2017, 02:53:52 PM

This might be all very true. But I don't buy a car based on track performance.

I hear ya...
I've owned more cars and bikes than I can remember....not one was based on track performance.
Not my thing, I really could care less, as I'm not going racing.....what is the track performance of a 383 70 Charger anyway? 

BrianShaughnessy

It's a magnificent beast!  :2thumbs:  I'd take one...  if I found a wealthy benefactor or a winning lottery ticket.    It's already obsolete because it's upgrade is already in the works...  just like buying this years new computer or phone.   :brickwall:

It's purpose... aside from taking stacks of $100 bills from trust fund kid, is to get people in the showroom who will then be scared off from it and choose something like a Charger or a Chally GT, etc.   :Twocents:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Kern Dog

Even though the capabilities of both cars are certainly beyond my abilities as a driver, I'd be more likely to want a Hellcat. Better handling while still very fast!

RCCDrew

Are they really better handling? I don't know. I haven't heard any chassis specs saying that the demon will be ill handling. Plus you can fit wider tires all around.

Mytur Binsdirti

I was REALLY excited when they unveiled the Hellcat in 2014; so much that I ordered one as soon as the order banks opened up in late August of that year. However, this new version leaves me less excited. 840 hp is nothing to sneeze at, but all it seems that its sole purpose is 1/4 mile times.

Meh.............

Kern Dog

Quote from: RCCDrew on April 25, 2017, 09:45:19 AM
Are they really better handling? I don't know. I haven't heard any chassis specs saying that the demon will be ill handling. Plus you can fit wider tires all around.

The Demon was designed to use smaller sway bars and softer spring rates to get the front in the air and to let the rear squat for better drag race type traction. This does not improve cornering.

Mike DC

Worrying about cornering in a 4300-lb car is a bit much IMO.  3300 pounds is already heavy for the job.

Big sticky tires & swaybars help the numbers.  But it also means you get yourself farther into trouble before it finally lets go.   

Kern Dog

Oh I do agree. That is why I mentioned that the abilities of either car would probably be greater than my current skill level.

J.Bond

All it needs is a lift off hood, and it's 1969 and a half all over again.

Should have been called the Hellcat A12..........