News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Impressions on the new Dodge Demon?

Started by 66FBCharger, April 19, 2017, 11:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDF

Quote from: Lennard on April 28, 2017, 12:41:41 PM
::) I don't get the either... everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Discussion is what makes a forum and fills topics. Otherwise every topic would have 5 replies saying " I agree" and then disappear to the next page.
:iagree:

keepat

Quote from: keepat on April 28, 2017, 06:47:43 PM
This link is relevant to the Viper conversation. 2 Vipers lead 3 GT3RS in the Targa Tasmania. Tomorrow is the last day. The Viper ACR-E has a 84 second lead over the 3rd place Porsche.
Go VIPER!!
Pat

https://targa.com.au/tc/news_details.asp?asset_id=29759

FYI Vipers took 1st and 2nd!

darbgnik

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Kern Dog

Hey Alfa... You DO know that I was kidding, right ??

alfaitalia

Of course...I got your, almost British style, sense of humour and sarcasm long ago. Not sure some of your fellow countrymen do sometimes though. Lol! Keep it up! :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

68pplcharger

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 28, 2017, 03:53:53 PM
Quote from: 68pplcharger on April 28, 2017, 03:46:23 PM
Car is badass and I'd love to own it. to bad NHRA banned it from competition.

No different than any other car that runs that fast.. needs a roll bar to compete.

Not totally true, Cars from the factory aren't required to have a rollcage at NHRA tracks when running fast enough to need a rollcage. This is at least the information passed on from track inspectors at local tracks. They are allowed to run bracket. Hellcats and other ultra fast vehicles that are under 12.00 run  at local NHRA tracks in Ohio. This has been going on for years. I'm sure NHRA wanted to make sure a factory car that runs in the zone that require a license (under 10.00) weren't going to  set a precedent and a dangerous condition.

Q5XX29

I think they're cool as hell (no pun intended), and I just received word that I can order mine tomorrow.  :cheers:
dakota_gt on Instagram

One mopar

I like it and I agree with you guys but I like the effort that went into building it  :2thumbs: for putting a real. 5 point Harness I got into a bad wreck so I know the valve of good safety equipment and I like the head lights / intake the killer chiller basically giving me ideas for my car ish but 100k for a Family car with a high Depreciation nope if comes to buying one I'd just get it used and replace the interior if have kids or pets you will know what I mean :Twocents:

lukedukem

Quote from: Q5XX29 on June 20, 2017, 12:01:34 PM
I think they're cool as hell (no pun intended), and I just received word that I can order mine tomorrow.  :cheers:

Doc, did you order your Demon? What color? did you opt for the passenger seat?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Q5XX29

Quote from: lukedukem on June 27, 2017, 07:48:41 AM

Luke

Yes, I ordered it in F8 green, which is one of the "late availability" colors, so I won't get mine until at least March of next year. Yes, I did get both the passenger and rear seats. Have to haul the kids to the track, too, after all...  it stinks to have to wait in order to get the color I want, but oh well.  Better to get the color I want.

dakota_gt on Instagram

J.Bond

Quote from: Q5XX29 on July 02, 2017, 04:05:30 AM

Luke

Yes, I ordered it in F8 green, which is one of the "late availability" colors, so I won't get mine until at least March of next year. Yes, I did get both the passenger and rear seats. Have to haul the kids to the track, too, after all...  it stinks to have to wait in order to get the color I want, but oh well.  Better to get the color I want.

Did you order the crate to go with it?

Hot Rod mag just did an article on the Demon, it states the 9.60 is only possible if, pass, rear seat, radio delete, ecm changed and front skinny's are installed. The article actually puts weight numbers on every piece, pretty close to two hundred lb's of interior. With radio, and interior alone, left in the car, they say your in the 10's. Well, it occurred to me while reading the article that apparently , any extra weight dramatically changes everything. So, I was reading the article in my shop, when my buddy Wayne shows up, Wayne weighs in around 250-260lbs, a good 100 lbs more than me. You know where I'm going with this....

ACUDANUT

Don't know. Will never be able to afford the beast. BTW, my Marine buddy is slamming the Challenger Hellcat. Claims a new Camaro with a 610 HP can beat it, because of the Challengers weight.  :shruggy:

Q5XX29

Quote from: J.Bond on July 02, 2017, 06:58:12 AM

Luke

Hot Rod mag just did an article on the Demon, it states the 9.60 is only possible if, pass, rear seat, radio delete, ecm changed and front skinny's are installed. The article actually puts weight numbers on every piece, pretty close to two hundred lb's of interior. With radio, and interior alone, left in the car, they say your in the 10's. Well, it occurred to me while reading the article that apparently , any extra weight dramatically changes everything. So, I was reading the article in my shop, when my buddy Wayne shows up, Wayne weighs in around 250-260lbs, a good 100 lbs more than me. You know where I'm going with this....

Everybody who ordered a Demon will get a voucher mailed to them which they can redeem to get their Crate. I heard 9.90s and wheels-up slightly, even without the 100-octane tune and the skinny front tires (although I imagine that was without the extra seats, audio upgrade, etc). Do I really care if my car will run 9.65, or 10.20s and still be able to take my kids to school in it....? No. I figure for $2, I will get the extra seats, and if I really feel the need to drop a couple of tenths, I will unbolt them.

9.65 out of a stock, full-size, fully-warrantied car is cool, but 9.65 ain't exactly world-beating anymore. The punk down the block in his turbo'd LS-powered Miata shitbox runs 8s. But I still think this car will be a ton of fun. I've driven Hellcats before, and was never able to get over how terrible they were at hooking up, so I never seriously considered buying one. The wider, stickier stock  rubber in the Demon (and shedding a little weight) made it more tempting to me. But when I really want to impress at the dragstrip, I'll fire up the LO23 Dart.  :2thumbs:
dakota_gt on Instagram

1974dodgecharger

Why are people slamming the rim/tire combo.......rims are too big for a challenger should be 15s.

Kern Dog

No. INCORRECT.  Thanks for playing....

Mike DC

QuoteDon't know. Will never be able to afford the beast. BTW, my Marine buddy is slamming the Challenger Hellcat. Claims a new Camaro with a 610 HP can beat it, because of the Challengers weight.  shruggy

The power-to-weight ratio of these LX hot rods is nothing too amazing.  

4400 lbs & 700 hp = 3200 lbs & 500 hp.  That's a streetable A-body with a hot stroker 360 or hot G3 Hemi.

But it sure sounds cool to say "I've got 700 horsepower."

Q5XX29

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 04, 2017, 02:43:25 AM
QuoteDon't know. Will never be able to afford the beast. BTW, my Marine buddy is slamming the Challenger Hellcat. Claims a new Camaro with a 610 HP can beat it, because of the Challengers weight.  shruggy

The power-to-weight ratio of these LX hot rods is nothing too amazing.  

4400 lbs & 700 hp = 3200 lbs & 500 hp.  That's a streetable A-body with a hot stroker 360 or hot G3 Hemi.

But it sure sounds cool to say "I've got 700 horsepower."

Totally get your point, and agree. For the record, the Demon would be 42xx lbs and 808 hp (840 with race fuel). Within a few weeks of release, significantly increased power will be found with pulleys, tunes... just like with the "regular" Hellcat. But to me, the Demon will be fun enough stock, without jeopardizing the warranty. Won't have a warranty with your A-body stroker...
dakota_gt on Instagram

Mike DC

Yeah, I don't mean to come off like, "Who needs Hellcat/Demon?  I can go just as fast in my Duster!"  Different item for a different buyer.  

I'm just saying that the shocking HP numbers are tempered by the LX's curb weights.  (Same is true for most modern vehicles for that matter.)  We've had these power-to-weight levels before when the car bodies were smaller & flimsier.  We're just getting it in a bigger & more comfy car this time.  A pretty stripped-down Hellcat/Demon is still offering a level of safety & comfort & reliability that isn't happening from any vintage car.  

Q5XX29

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 04, 2017, 03:39:19 PM

Yeah, I don't mean to come off like, "Who needs Hellcat/Demon?  I can go just as fast in my Duster!"  Different item for a different buyer.  

I'm just saying that the shocking HP numbers are tempered by the LX's curb weights.  (Same is true for most modern vehicles for that matter.)  We've had these power-to-weight levels before when the car bodies were smaller & flimsier.  We're just getting it in a bigger & more comfy car this time.  A pretty stripped-down Hellcat/Demon is still offering a level of safety & comfort & reliability that isn't happening from any vintage car.  

I hear ya....  :cheers:
dakota_gt on Instagram

Bobs69

I like it.  It's nice to see Dodge not pull any punches.  I get tired of the media and every other peanut gallery (work, friends) bashing Mopar.  No matter what anyone says, articles I've read or videos I've see, are always slightly negatively biased towards Dodge.

It's unfortunate the common man likely will never have one, or that you won't actually see them on the streets being used.

J.Bond

Quote from: Q5XX29 on July 03, 2017, 12:44:49 AM
Quote from: J.Bond on July 02, 2017, 06:58:12 AM

Luke

Everybody who ordered a Demon will get a voucher mailed to them which they can redeem to get their Crate. I heard 9.90s and wheels-up slightly, even without the 100-octane tune and the skinny front tires (although I imagine that was without the extra seats, audio upgrade, etc). Do I really care if my car will run 9.65, or 10.20s and still be able to take my kids to school in it....? No. I figure for $2, I will get the extra seats, and if I really feel the need to drop a couple of tenths, I will unbolt them.

9.65 out of a stock, full-size, fully-warrantied car is cool, but 9.65 ain't exactly world-beating anymore. The punk down the block in his turbo'd LS-powered Miata shitbox runs 8s. But I still think this car will be a ton of fun. I've driven Hellcats before, and was never able to get over how terrible they were at hooking up, so I never seriously considered buying one. The wider, stickier stock  rubber in the Demon (and shedding a little weight) made it more tempting to me. But when I really want to impress at the dragstrip, I'll fire up the LO23 Dart.  :2thumbs:

Yeah, but the Dart don't have A/C.....

Actually, the Demon A/C system is absolutely amazing, they use the A/C refrigerant system to cool the fuel delivery system as well as the car cabin. It has a set up that, precools certain portions of the fuel system on shut down, in between race rounds

ElDoradoCuda

I think the car is a genius marketing move for FCA.  It has dominated press coverage and is a great halo car for them, regardless of how they are used.  I actually don't think the flares are that ugly, and like the fact that they are offering them on the Hellcat in 2018.  I have a 2016 'narrow body' Scat Pack, but if I was to buy a Hellcat in 2018 it would have the flares.  I think they break up the slab-sided look the car now has.  For now the Scat Pack sits side-by-side with my son's 71 R/T Challenger, and seeing them like that really shows just how slick and elegant the original design was.

ECS

Quote from: Aero426 on April 19, 2017, 12:28:25 PM
After the dealer gouge.....

For anyone that finances a car, they're basically paying more than sticker in the form of interest.
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!