News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Impressions on the new Dodge Demon?

Started by 66FBCharger, April 19, 2017, 11:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: ECS on July 07, 2017, 06:19:40 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on April 19, 2017, 12:28:25 PM
After the dealer gouge.....

For anyone that finances a car, they're basically paying more than sticker in the form of interest.

I am talking about a "supplemental window sticker" for additional dealer markup.   

ECS

Quote from: Aero426 on July 07, 2017, 07:42:17 PM
I am talking about a "supplemental window sticker" for additional dealer markup.   

I completely understand what you were referencing.  I bought one of these cars and paid a premium.  A few people ridiculed me for doing so but when they finance their purchase, they are basically doing the same thing.  The total amount spent is still the total amount spent regardless of how it's classified.  When the car comes in I'll pay for it, get the MSO and leave.  I'd rather do that than be a slave to a lender.
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Troy

Quote from: ECS on July 08, 2017, 01:13:13 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on July 07, 2017, 07:42:17 PM

I completely understand what you were referencing.  I bought one of these cars and paid a premium.  A few people ridiculed me for doing so but when they finance their purchase, they are basically doing the same thing.  The total amount spent is still the total amount spent regardless of how it's classified.  When the car comes in I'll pay for it, get the MSO and leave.  I'd rather do that than be a slave to a lender.
How bad would your credit have to be to pay $30k in interest? :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ECS

Quote from: Troy on July 08, 2017, 10:04:30 AM
How bad would your credit have to be to pay........

That's probably the actual reason that some ridicule others for paying a premium over sticker.  They can't afford the car to begin with and the "premium" only adds to their difficulty.    

ws23rt

The "premium" that people pay for something like this is paid to be first on their block to get one.  :slap: That is why it's there--people will pay extra to be in front.

The same chatter happened when the Hellcats were first released.-- If one needs to finance this car -just because- of the "markup" addition it just shows the power of the draw to be first.

I waited a year to order my 09 SRT Challenger because it took that long to find a local dealer that sold for MSRP.  One dealer wanted 27k "market adjustment" :smilielol:  Bought it for 45k (by check) and sold it for 25k last year with 18k miles on it.

Next, I wanted a 2015 Hellcat Challenger and waited almost a year to get MSRP price. (I did, however, have to fly out to pick it up and drive 1500miles home. :shruggy:)

The "market adjustment" is just that.  It is a price that folks will pay to be as -first- as they can be.---IMO it is- look at me- money spent. :nana:

BTW I am more than happy with my 15 Hellcat and am not waiting to be able to -maybe- pay 20k more (by waiting a year) to upgrade to a Demon.  

ECS

Quote from: ws23rt on July 08, 2017, 08:33:53 PM
The "premium" that people pay for something like this is paid to be first on their block to get one.

That's not why I did it.  I have a credible inside source that claims this will in fact be the only year for the Demon.  With a limited quantity, you either get one or you don't.  There "might" be a continuation of a higher horsepower version, but it will be offered in the Hellcat.  They (supposedly) will use that platform to offer some of the upgrades you have with the Demon.  With the uncertainty of this scenario, I didn't want to play Russian roulette with the possibilities.  Even if they do make a better version of the new Demon, I'll get that version until the horsepower craze finally stops.  For the record, it's not about resale value or "making money" on a car.  If the value plummeted overnight, it wouldn't bother me in the least.  I buy them because I like them. 

Q5XX29

While there have been many times where I have paid an ADM/"premium" just to have the first in town (2007 GT500, 2008 Challenger SRT, 2009 Nissan GT-R, etc), I am happy to say that most people I've talked to are (like me) getting their Demon for MSRP. As you are probably aware, Dodge/FCA is wisely doing what they can to reduce dealer gouging, by moving all Demon transactions at msrp or below to the front of the production line. But, I would have still paid an ADM if required, because this is one of those cars to me where it would have been worth it.
dakota_gt on Instagram

Bobs69

Quote from: Q5XX29 on July 09, 2017, 12:59:51 AM
While there have been many times where I have paid an ADM/"premium" just to have the first in town (2007 GT500, 2008 Challenger SRT, 2009 Nissan GT-R, etc), I am happy to say that most people I've talked to are (like me) getting their Demon for MSRP. As you are probably aware, Dodge/FCA is wisely doing what they can to reduce dealer gouging, by moving all Demon transactions at msrp or below to the front of the production line. But, I would have still paid an ADM if required, because this is one of those cars to me where it would have been worth it.

Worth it as in being known around your town as the guy with the first Demon?

Q5XX29

Damn straight, although that wouldn't really be true in this case, since there will be at least three coming to my area, and I selected a "late-availability" color, so I won't get mine for a while longer.

I don't like yesterday's news. You object to that? I grew up with nothing, worked my ass off to make something of myself, and I happen to indulge myself with cars as my reward. I'll say it again. Paying up to several thousand over regular price to get "the first" or sometimes "the only" IS INDEED worth it to me. It's not so much so that I can be "known" for it, as it is the fact that I get less excited when I start to see so many others around. Obviously, I'm not alone here.
dakota_gt on Instagram

Q5XX29

Every now and then a car comes along that just really lights a fire for me. The Demon is one of them. My son's (11) enthusiasm for it just adds to the thrill of getting one. I don't push my way to the front of the line for every new model of sports/muscle/super car that comes along.
dakota_gt on Instagram

Q5XX29

Quote from: Bobs69 on July 04, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
I like it.  It's nice to see Dodge not pull any punches.  I get tired of the media and every other peanut gallery (work, friends) bashing Mopar.  No matter what anyone says, articles I've read or videos I've see, are always slightly negatively biased towards Dodge.

It's unfortunate the common man likely will never have one, or that you won't actually see them on the streets being used.

I share your admiration for Dodge going all-out with this Demon. But I disagree in that all three of the ones coming to my dealership are being bought by "common" men, and they MOST CERTAINLY will be seen on the street (and strip). It would be foolish to buy one and store it as an investment. These things aren't THAT rare or expensive to think they are going to appreciate into some great nest egg someday.
dakota_gt on Instagram

ws23rt

The gotta be- the first- sort came out big when the Hellcat was released.
One of the first to be sold to a local dealer where I am --went to an overseas buyer that was in front of the line with cubic money.

I wonder how many still exist in a plastic cocoon?  
The talk was that so few would be made they had to be preserved. :shruggy:

My local dealer now has several hellcats all the time.

Why would dodge stop making something -that sells- just to make it iconic?  --Tell the first ones it is limited and then just change their mind to make money. It's a business --not a show.   2008---2009--srt.   The 2015 Hellcat--2016--2017-etc.--The demon is now the end all car forever--step right up or forever grieve.  :icon_smile_wink:

Who has a 2008 srt challenger still in the wrapper waiting for the value to go up?

Q5XX29

Quote from: ws23rt on July 09, 2017, 08:21:39 PM
One of the first to be sold to a local dealer where I am --went to an overseas buyer that was in front of the line with cubic money.

Why would dodge stop making something -that sells- just to make it iconic?  --Tell the first ones it is limited and then just change their mind to make money. It's a business --not a show.   2008---2009--srt.   The 2015 Hellcat--2016--2017-etc.--The demon is now the end all car forever--step right up or forever grieve.  :icon_smile_wink:

You very well may be right. I sure fell for it with my 2007 GT500 and my 2008 "limited edition" Challenger SRT. But, the beautiful thing is- if in a year or two something better comes along, I can trade/sell it for the newest flash in the pan. Or just keep it AND get the new one too. After all, I haven't had too much luck ever letting anything go. That's why I need to look at figuring something out for more garage space. Still have the '07 GT500 and '08 Challenger SRT, too (and a 2009 Challenger SRT convertible). Guess I really have a thing for Challengers!
dakota_gt on Instagram

ws23rt

Quote from: Q5XX29 on July 09, 2017, 08:30:08 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on July 09, 2017, 08:21:39 PM

You very well may be right. I sure fell for it with my 2007 GT500 and my 2008 "limited edition" Challenger SRT. But, the beautiful thing is- if in a year or two something better comes along, I can trade/sell it for the newest flash in the pan. Or just keep it AND get the new one too. After all, I haven't had too much luck ever letting anything go. That's why I need to look at figuring something out for more garage space. Still have the '07 GT500 and '08 Challenger SRT, too (and a 2009 Challenger SRT convertible). Guess I really have a thing for Challengers!

I know the feeling and the draw to play with the new stuff.  I am doing it but just -not- with the -first fever- impulse. This is just me.

When those that spend $20000 like it was a twenty dollar bill --get their fill I will come in and enjoy what they have had -FIRST and enjoy it as a first for me.

If one is not the first on the block then they are second. :lol:  --Second is sometimes referred to as -one- of the first.-- :slap:

Bobs69

I'm making assumptions here......... so before I continue. 

What is the MSRP on a Demon?

When I heard the numbers this car was putting out it really made me think that the game is over.  Like really, how can it be beat?

Troy

Quote from: Bobs69 on July 09, 2017, 09:11:20 PM

What is the MSRP on a Demon?

When I heard the numbers this car was putting out it really made me think that the game is over.  Like really, how can it be beat?
I bet people said that about the Max Wedge cars. ;)

MSRP for the Demon is $85k.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Bobs69

85k.  So you are really going to want it.  And most of us do.  I can see why you'd want to buy it new.  I'd definitely want that plate made with my name of it.

And yeah something else will come out that faster eventually.

RCCDrew

Bought my little Cuda 6 years ago for 18k, sold it 2 weeks ago for 25k. That's the one thing the Demon can't do better than an old car; appreciate.

I've been really looking at Hellcats, especially right now with their deep discounts. Just can't bring myself to do it. That being said, I envy all you future Demon owners.

ECS

Quote from: Bobs69 on July 09, 2017, 09:46:43 PM

From what I've been told, the Demon is a one year and done.  From here forward, the Hellcat will (supposedly) be the car that gets any upgrades or horsepower increases.  They have already shown that trend by offering the "wide body" and other Demon upgrades on the 2018 Hellcats.  I'm sure they could change their minds at anytime and continue manufacturing the Demon in the future.  As I said earlier, I couldn't care less about the "future" value of this car.  Anyone who has to buy a car to make money 20 years later is just fooling themselves.  None of us know if we'll be alive next week or what the future holds at it relates to the value of a new car.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Bobs69 on July 09, 2017, 09:11:20 PM

Wouldn't take much for a Tesla to start knocking on the Demon's door  :scratchchin:

Aero426

Quote from: ECS on July 10, 2017, 01:38:05 AM

From what I've been told, the Demon is a one year and done.  From here forward, the Hellcat will (supposedly) be the car that gets any upgrades or horsepower increases.  They have already shown that trend by offering the "wide body" and other Demon upgrades on the 2018 Hellcats.  I'm sure they could change their minds at anytime and continue manufacturing the Demon in the future.  As I said earlier, I couldn't care less about the "future" value of this car.  Anyone who has to buy a car to make money 20 years later is just fooling themselves.  None of us know if we'll be alive next week or what the future holds at it relates to the value of a new car.

Well said.     The good thing is that they will make 3000+.    That's a lot of cars and will go a long way towards satisfying demand. 

Talked to an acquaintance on Saturday.   Major car collector in So Cal.   A guy who is very well known in the vintage race car scene.      He's got a real GT40,  then a newer 2005 GT.      He buys a lot of Ford equipment for his businesses.    And he was turned down to buy a new GT.      At least with a Demon, if you want one, you can buy one.   

ECS

Quote from: Aero426 on July 10, 2017, 09:20:30 AM
Talked to an acquaintance on Saturday.   Major car collector in So Cal.   A guy who is very well known in the vintage race car scene.      He's got a real GT40,  then a newer 2005 GT.      He buys a lot of Ford equipment for his businesses.    And he was turned down to buy a new GT.      At least with a Demon, if you want one, you can buy one.   

That's the car I originally was trying to find/get and they are nowhere to be found.  250 per year is the current allocation.  While 3000 is much better than 250, it's still a drop in the bucket considering that number of Enthusiast who wanted one.  My inside FCA guy said that the projected number of 3000 US/300 Canada was actually misleading because many Demons had been promised to automotive "celebrities" like Jay Leno and were off the table before they were available to the Public.

Bobs69

Quote from: Aero426 on July 10, 2017, 09:20:30 AM
Quote from: ECS on July 10, 2017, 01:38:05 AM

I absolutely love the fact that Dodge is producing powerful cars.

I don't understand why they limit the production numbers.  Any thoughts?

Well said.     The good thing is that they will make 3000+.    That's a lot of cars and will go a long way towards satisfying demand. 

ECS

Maybe, maybe not.  Who knows when the Government will put a stop to this horsepower craziness.  No one knows the future.  For now, the Demon is at the top.  Time will tell.