News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SSBC A156 Front disc kit issue

Started by Sublime/Sixpack, April 21, 2017, 11:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sublime/Sixpack

Just wondering if anyone else having installed the SSBC A156 kit on their B-body has had the following issue; that being the brakes work fine until I take a corner or a curve hard,  the very next time I hit the brake pedal it goes down at least 1 1/4" from where it was. I hit the pedal a second time then it's up where it should be. Stays there until I take another curve hard. I've checked the front wheel bearings for correct adjustment more than once and they're fine.
The only thing that makes any sense to me is that the rotor/hub's are flexing enough on a hard curve that they push against the pads/calipers forcing brake fluid back into the master cylinder.

Anyone?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Calif240

I have one of the SSBC kits and have never experienced this issue... not sure if this really helps, other than possibly pointing to something other than the kit itself, and even then, it could be a difference in manufacturing.
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Sublime/Sixpack

green69rt

I'm going to go out on a limb.  Have you bleed the brake system thoroughly?  Not meaning to criticize.  It may be worth while to do another complete system bleed just to make sure.

LaOtto70Charger

Is/was the push rod or master cylinder loose?  If I read that correct the pedal doesn't return just wondering if there is a binding going in the pedal to master cylinder when cornering.

Also I have an SSBC setup and never had that issue either.  My issues were the standard not enough stopping power.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: green69rt on May 01, 2017, 08:01:50 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb.  Have you bleed the brake system thoroughly?  Not meaning to criticize.  It may be worth while to do another complete system bleed just to make sure.

I bench bled the new master cylinder before installing, then bled the system from back to front. Under normal driving conditions the pedal is firm and up where it should be. The only time I have an issue is if I go hard around a corner or through some curves. After the curves when I hit the brake pedal it's down some from where it should be. As soon as I hit the pedal a second time it's firm and up where it should be.  Stays firm and high until the next hard corner or curve.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: LaOtto70Charger on May 02, 2017, 12:05:29 PM
Is/was the push rod or master cylinder loose?  If I read that correct the pedal doesn't return just wondering if there is a binding going in the pedal to master cylinder when cornering.

Also I have an SSBC setup and never had that issue either.  My issues were the standard not enough stopping power.

Nothing is loose. And there is no binding. And I agree the stopping power is less than stellar. Although better than the original 10" drums.

Calif240

Try jacking car up... remove wheels. Turn car on so power steering is running, then have someone turn wheels right to left and look at pads as they turn... do they look any different through turn? Also, try leaving wheels on and spin by hand, then turn steering wheel. If tires slow significantly, then your pads are applying extra force on the turn.

Just my thoughts on what I'd do to try to gain further insight on the possible issue. If you see no issues then it may be due to weight on the car causing something to occur in a turn (?)

Terry

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: Calif240 on May 02, 2017, 01:06:20 PM
Try jacking car up... remove wheels. Turn car on so power steering is running, then have someone turn wheels right to left and look at pads as they turn... do they look any different through turn? Also, try leaving wheels on and spin by hand, then turn steering wheel. If tires slow significantly, then your pads are applying extra force on the turn.

Just my thoughts on what I'd do to try to gain further insight on the possible issue. If you see no issues then it may be due to weight on the car causing something to occur in a turn (?)

Terry

I appreciate the suggestions. One question; is your SSBC kit the A156, and if so do you take corners hard and fast?

Calif240

It's the 156 IIRC, and I don't go down a slalom, but it's got a 440 running near 500 hp and I don't shy away from any hard corners.. never noticed an issue. It's got all hotchkis stuff so it doesn't roll or flex, so maybe that's why I don't notice anything? I remember I had to order extra shims for my kit, as I couldn't get proper clearance without adding more shims. I'll think more tonight and reply if I think of anything more...
Terry

Sublime/Sixpack

I'm not familiar with the IIRC kit.
All I know is that when I take a corner fairly hard it seems as though some how the pistons get pushed into the calipers, causing the pedal to be somewhat low the next time I hit the brake pedal. Hit the pedal a second time and it's up where it should be.  Almost seems as though the rotors are flexing enough to cause this. If that's the case I'll be switching to a different Brand of Kit.
Need to call SSBC to see what they have to say. I get busy on other things and put off calling them.
Thanks again for your input.

Calif240

Sorry... IIRC is "If I Remember Correctly"... Good luck on finding resolution.

Terry