News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI Question:

Started by Captain D, April 21, 2017, 01:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

Just a quick question to run by some folks if I may please. Basically, I have a Fi-Tech unit installed on my 69' Charger / 383 4brrl BB and to help get it to have that quick no-delay fire-up, I had to previously give it a couple of primes. For example, I would turn the key to the 'on' position, turn it off, and repeat for 2-3 times to get that quick fire-up when I actually did go to turn the engine over. I even did a full tune-up of plugs, wires, ignition coil, rotor, and Optima red-top battery for a little extra 'umph' for the cold-cranking. Anyhow, even though the EFI techs suggested that it won't damage the system as a whole if I do the multi-prime option repeatedly, it's the principle that one shouldn't have to. Even when I did max out the priming fuel (option # 01 below), the car still seemed to need extra fuel for that cold start. So, I called the guys back again and they said to increase more fuel on the additional settings under the prompts: 'Crank and Warm Up.'  

In other words, I went into 'EFI Tuning,' 'Crank and Warm up' on the hand-held computer modular and my first series of numbers are as follows:

01 - 199
02 - 80
03 - 80
04 - 80
05 - 100.0
06 - 40
07 - 40

At this point, the car finally seems that I don't need to perform the multi-prime steps in order to turn the engine over from a cold start. I suppose my question is this - I was a little weary about adding almost too much fuel as I didn't want to make it too rich in the mixture in trying to find that 'sweet spot.' But, if the car responds well to this amount of fuel, 'it is what it is' and I can max out at 100 between #02-#04. I did a few test runs and the car runs smooth, no backfires, no blackened tail-pipes, dirty bumpers, etc. indicating that the fuel may be too rich. However, does anyone else have these rather high fuel numbers under the same prompts / setting on any of your vehicles using the EFI, just out of curiosity?  

Thanks for your time & input!
Aaron

John_Kunkel

Mine starts OK at 199 on #01 but it still doesn't want to come up to an unassisted idle unless I max out #02; don't remember what the other settings are....hafta look.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Captain D

Thanks John for the reply & checking out the settings on your modular. It's good to know that my numbers aren't out of the ordinary, so far. Thanks again and chat soon...

darbgnik

Fuel enrichment on fuel injection is a pretty common practice, but usually built into factory programming, which of course we don't have to worry about. The early Mustang fuel injection got it's signal for fuel enrichment directly from the ignition switch, as I found out from driving a racecar based on that platform; There had to be a separate fuel enrichment switch wired in to get it to start, as the ignition and interior were long gone. If it works, I wouldn't sweat it.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

AZMoparboy

Hi, I don't post much, but I have a Fitech 3003 system and it needed to do some adjusting and found this posting on forabodiesonly.com dated Aug 29 2016 called FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc... Page 2 of this thread. It came from a tech from Fitech. This thread helped me to adjust my system
Hope this helps!

AZMoparboy

Forgot to say that my Fitech system is performing very nicely, it is the baby system, it stands alone and is not controlling the timing. I also have it running on a rebuilt 1969 383 stock motor in my 1971 challenger. This system is a no brianer, I started this engine green, and it lit in two second. Totally unbelievable, I now have almost 850 miles on the engine. Good luck and hope my info helps.

Steve,

flyinlow

Set # 01 -199 .  Works OK for over night . If longer needs 2-3 primes or 4-5 seconds of cranking. Haven't tried the other numbers yet.

Captain D

Thanks gents for the replies and helpful feedback,

Things are a little better (not that it was bad before, but just trying to zero in on perfection, lol). Just like 'flyinlow' noted, sometimes I may still have to give it that extra prime in order to generate the immediate fire-up. That's the point where I am now. When I had called the tech line, they even suggested that I turn the screw on the unit a 1/4 turn clockwise in an effort to 'open it up' a little more. Will post back again in a few days when the weather clears...