News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question: Why not use a lx challenger to do a 2nd-gen charger swap

Started by bcharging, April 21, 2017, 11:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcharging

I have a question about the lx platform swap using a lx charger instead of a lx challenger.  From what I've researched I know the lx platform charger wheel base is 120.7 and a lx challenger wheelbase is 116.2.  So f
If the 2nd-gen charger is 117.0, why not just us the lx challenger?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: bcharging on April 21, 2017, 11:55:40 PM
I have a question about the lx platform swap using a lx charger instead of a lx challenger.  From what I've researched I know the lx platform charger wheel base is 120.7 and a lx challenger wheelbase is 116.2.  So f
If the 2nd-gen charger is 117.0, why not just us the lx challenger?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Generally most will swap on the Charger/300 platform as it's cheaper to source, even an SRT...you pay more for the "Challenger" model only because of what it is

I agree with you, the Challenger platform if you can afford to find a reasonable priced unit is the way to go, wheelbase is pretty much spot on, manual transmission options, plus the vehicle is already set up as a 2dr coupe so depending on how much you integrate reskinning the vehicle with original/repro 2nd gen sheetmetal you may be able to utilize the Challenger interior?, unless your plans call for hiding all of the Challenger's identity

Great project though! I've seen this as the way to go in the Mopar hobby the last few years, pretty much what kit car/replica builders have been doing for decades, with the amount of AMD, Goodmark and other repro body panels on the market, a modern based vintage looking musclecar of any choice is within reach if your wallet and skill sets are there...start with the best equipped base you can get/desire, choose the wheels/tires you intend to run and build the car around those, fitting tires into the project at a later date only asks for grief and frustration and added expense

depending on how you build the car, the use of a VIN tag must be decided, do you use a vintage VIN tag to mask the car as vintage to elude emission/safety inspections, or the donor's VIN and comply with current vehicle inspection rules/regulations, IMHO it depends on your State and how much aggravation you want to endure from the clueless idiots that work at your local RMV/DMV and State Inspection sites

Stevearino

You might want to follow this body swap. It is a Hell Cat Challenger and so far it looks like they know what is up.
http://www.clevelandpap.com/69-dodge-charger-hellcat-swap/

If money is no object the Challenger is ideal for a number of reasons. There are a bunch of 2 door options that you have to re engineer if you are doing the swap from a 4 door platform. Window regulators (with smart window tech in the Challenger) Folding front seats (should you want to access the rear seat area) Wheel base of course. Seat belt anchoring. As far as cost a Challenger is the most costly especially SRT models even if wrecked. The Charger is next followed by the Chrysler 300. The Dodge Magnum is a real steal and is the same LX platform as the Charger and 300. Starting with a car that has a good title and hanging new Gen 3 sheet metal on it is also probably the most labor and cost saving way to go about it instead of trying to fix an old rusty donor Charger. Can't wait to see your project posted.

Baldwinvette77

Stevearino

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on April 22, 2017, 05:51:17 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 22, 2017, 04:50:29 PM
wow, looks like you started a trend here on DC steve  :lol:

You're hilarious.

Well he did post this in the aero section, and as far as i know, you have the only LX aero car  :nana:

Lighthorseman

..."Well, he did post this in the aero section, and as far as i know, you have the only LX aero car..."  :nana:

In his typically modest fashion, the LX-wingcar pioneer didn't post a link to his build thread*, so here it is.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,101925.0.html

*Not really a mere build thread...more like...epic literature.  :2thumbs:

bcharging

Thanks again guys for the information.  I have a line on a SRT that was wrecked, and asked if I would be interested in buying it after insurance was settled. I will wait and see what this cost me. Also had a chance to see Stevearino build.... absolutely amazing, remarkable carftmanship... I won't be parking mine next to his... flawless machine... again thank you all!!