News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 power brake booster

Started by tcurtis, April 22, 2017, 10:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcurtis

I'm finally getting the final major bugs worked out on my Charger and have moved to the power brake booster.  The car has front disk/rear drum brakes and the booster appears to not be working as the pedal is hard and I have to get on it hard to stop.  All other brake components were inspected and appear to be good.  My research appears to show (new to Mopar and have a lot to learn) that my car should have the Bendix style booster, however, the booster currently in place bears no resemblance to the Bendix.  I don't know if it is an incorrect replacement or what.  Does anyone have any opinion as to whether or not it would be hurt to give the Bendix-style a try?  Is there a downside other than the expense?  Any assistance is appreciated.

Mopar Nut

Can you post a picture of the booster?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tcurtis

If I did this right there should be two pics attached.

Dragon Slayer

Not correct booster, but similar looking.  It should be the Bendix booster.  G

tcurtis

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tcurtis

Seems to check out o.k.  Rear wheel cylinders were bad and everything seemed to bleed out o.k. when they were replaced.  Everything seems to point to a bad booster.  At this point I might just get a booster/master cylinder combo and replace both, just in case.

gtx6970

to ck to see if the booster is working .
with the engine off, pump the brake pedal several times to bleed off any residual vacuum in the system.

Once that's done, Hold the brake pedal down and start the car while you have pressure on the brake pedal . If the booster is working it will pull your pedal down maybe an inch or so

If not = bad booster.

tcurtis

The pedal moves a short distance (1/2 inch or so) before becoming rock hard and moving very little with great effort.  Can't lock them up, either.

tcurtis

Ordered a Pirate Jack replacement booster and master cylinder kit today.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.  I'll post the results.