News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 power drum brakes question.

Started by Bad B-rad, April 22, 2017, 01:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

My car is a power drum brake 383 auto car.
To upgrade to the 11" R/T drum brakes, what do I need, is it just backing plates, shoes/hardware, and drums?
Or are the bearings and spindles, wheel cylinders different?
Has this been covered on here before and I can just read up on it?
I have always just gone with a power disc conversion kits in the past, but I want to do this car all org, and for now, and to save some money, I would like to just rebuild the power drum brakes, and maybe go with the 11" if it is not to expensive, to do, and worth the time and effort.
And last do the 11 inch drums stop much better then the stock 10 inch drums?  They put bigger brakes on the R/T cars for a reason, but do they make a sizeable improvement in braking ability?
Thanks for the help.

375instroke

If you ordered discs, you got 10" rears, but if you want front 11" drums, I can't see using anything besides 11" rears, too.  I use Rock Auto to check compatibility and cross reference parts if you want to see if the wheel cylinders are the same.  11" rear drum assemblies are common enough at junk yards off of Dodge vans with 9-1/4 differentials.

RallyeMike

If you are changing from original and not concerned about that, I would not waste time on 11" drums. Yes they are a little better than 10's, but they are nowhere near discs.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Bad B-rad

The last Charger I fixed up to drive, was a 1966, and before it even saw the road, I converted to four wheel disc set up (over the manual one reservoir drums).That was 15+ years ago, and I used a master power brakes kit, that used GM parts,YUCK!!!!! It stopped better, but really bothered me every time I opened the hood.

The 69 Charger, I just got is a 7,000 mile #'s matching car, it is not a museum car or anything, but it is a no rust California survivor.(330HP 383 4Bbl P/S-P/B-A/C, automatic car)
So as of now I think I just want to rebuild the drum set up, and I didn't know if it was worth it cost and braking performance wise to do 11 inch R/T style drums?

At least it is power drum,LOL.
I have driven  manual drum B-bodys before, and yeah the brakes suck, but they did stop me and it didn't pull all over the place.
There is no argument that Disc brakes are better, no doubt, but I don't think a disc conversion is in the budget.

I am just a regular broke working fool, and used all my savings buying the best 1969 Charger I could find/afford.
I just need to basically go through the systems and fix what sitting has done.

I do not have $1500 buck to drop on a front disc kit right now.

If I was going to upgrade to disc in the front,and I want to use MOPAR parts, do I still have to swap the spindles as you did years ago?

And is the power booster and master cylinder the same from a  power disc/drum vs power drum/drum?
(just as far as my car looking stock under the hood if someone reads the fender tag)
Thanks

Bronzedodge

You're talking about 11" front drums?  Might be a bit hard to find?

If you do, try here for good shoes:   http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/bib6572charger.html
Mopar forever!

Bad B-rad

If I was gonna convert to the 11' inch drums I would get all new parts(drums, shoes, hardware, so on)
Granted, I am assuming that I have 10 inch all around, because, I have not checked yet.  I have just done some engine repairs, and am about a day from jacking the car up, and doing the trans fluid and filters. Then I will pull the drums and check, out the shape of the drums and shoes.

I was just wondering how much better the R/T brake system performs, vs the stock drums.
Do the larger drums make the car stop a very noticeable amount?, and if so how much.
That is kinda what I wanted to know.

8WHEELER

I bought my 318 68 Charger in 78, put a 440 in it in 80. Drove it for ten years racing it every Friday night at the track, running 10'' manual drum brakes.
Then put 11'' inch power brakes on and for me it was a huge improvement. Saying that, I put disc brakes on up front five years ago, I actually liked the
11'' brakes better, one reason is I still have the larger bore drum master cylinder on the car still.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Bad B-rad

Well what size brakes come on a stock power drum brake car? Ten correct?
I thought the 11 inch drum was only an R/T option.
I will have to get off my butt and get out there and get my car in the air and look.
I was just thinking if I had to get all new drums and shoes and master cylinder to get my brakes up in good shape, then I may as well get 11inch stuff instead of ten.
unless spindles are different ,or something.

8WHEELER

Yes all 318 and 383 cars came with 10 inch drum brakes or option front disc. so 440 & Hemi RT cars came standard 11x3 front 11x2.5 rear with the front disc still an option.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Bad B-rad

So the power brake option, just adds the power booster, it doesn't affect/change the size of the brake drums, correct?
Thanks for all the help.

lukedukem

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 09, 2017, 10:47:14 AM
So the power brake option, just adds the power booster, it doesn't affect/change the size of the brake drums, correct?
Thanks for all the help.

Correct, my car was a 318 power drum car. came with 10" drums and booster.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 07, 2017, 06:46:57 PM
I do not have $1500 buck to drop on a front disc kit right now.

This thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,122780.0.html talks about putting Ford brakes on the stock drum spindles.. not GM but seems like a great idea and it's not $1500.

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 07, 2017, 06:46:57 PM
And is the power booster and master cylinder the same from a  power disc/drum vs power drum/drum?
(just as far as my car looking stock under the hood if someone reads the fender tag)

OEM Booster/Master cylinder are different from power disc/drum vs power drum/drum. The distribution block setup under the booster (on the inside driver frame rail) is also different.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Bronzedodge on June 08, 2017, 04:38:54 AM
You're talking about 11" front drums?  Might be a bit hard to find?

If you do, try here for good shoes:   http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/bib6572charger.html

2 different options for replacement 11" drums on Rockauto at the moment.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.