News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Real 70 Daytona found

Started by ACUDANUT, April 26, 2017, 04:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 26, 2017, 07:00:29 PM
Hey, if Plymouth made 70 Wing cars , Why wouldn't Dodge ? :scratchchin:

The 5-year rule... I believe it was for 5 years.. Anyways, once a car was "qualified" to run, it was good for 5 years. ( Doug, correct me if I'm wrong ).. Since the Daytona was already good-to-go for the '69 season ( really late '69 season ), there was no need to build any in 1970.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 27, 2017, 12:23:39 PM

The 5-year rule... I believe it was for 5 years.. Anyways, once a car was "qualified" to run, it was good for 5 years. ( Doug, correct me if I'm wrong ).. Since the Daytona was already good-to-go for the '69 season ( really late '69 season ), there was no need to build any in 1970.......

Correct idea.    It was a three year rule.   So 1969 models were legal through the end of 1971.    Had the aero wars continued, there could have been a new car to take over.   

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on April 27, 2017, 08:47:15 AM
By definition, A "Daytona" consists of a fastback rear glass, "A" pillar trim, nosecone, wing and supports and the fender scoops.     :Twocents:

Says who?.... :icon_smile_big:

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 27, 2017, 01:29:47 PM
By definition, A "Daytona" consists of a fastback rear glass, "A" pillar trim, nosecone, wing and supports and the fender scoops.     :Twocents:

Ironically enough, that car isn't a Daytona either, it is a McBurnie-converted Vette! :-P

Ben

odcics2

DODGE CHARGER Daytona, wise guy!   :lol: :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Stevearino

Quote from: Aero426 on April 27, 2017, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on April 27, 2017, 12:23:39 PM

Correct idea.    It was a three year rule.   So 1969 models were legal through the end of 1971.    Had the aero wars continued, there could have been a new car to take over.   

Side note: The 3 year rule for model eligibility was stretched to 4 for Richard Petty's benefit from 1974 to 1977 allowing him to run his 74 Charger. The following year they went back to the 3 year rule which saw him try the Magnum and then turn to GM for the remainder of his career. So Nascar has been monkeying with the rules (for the good of the show)  forever. It has just picked up the pace in recent times.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on April 27, 2017, 07:43:30 PM

Uhhhhh....like this "DODGE CHARGER Daytona"  :scratchchin:

Q5XX29

Quote from: held1823 on April 26, 2017, 10:11:12 PM
Quote from: Q5XX29 on April 26, 2017, 07:35:38 PM
Interesting... Does anybody know if Jerry Junneman is still alive/around? Supposedly, he was one of the earliest owners of my Daytona. I would like to contact him and see if he has any old photos of it. I sure would love to see some photos of my Daytona from back in "the day".

we love seeing pictures of it from any day. fire up the  instamatic and bury us with 'em

Ok, here are a few:

dakota_gt on Instagram

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 27, 2017, 08:56:29 PM

That's not a Charger...    And I better say 1969.

ACUDANUT

Well, Chrysler did called those 90's models "Charger Daytonas"

odcics2

Nope. Those "G" body cars were Dodge Daytonas. 
Maybe you are thinking of the L body Dodge Charger, previously called Omni 024 ?   :shruggy:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on April 28, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Ok, so...1969 model, flush rear plug, nosecone, fender scoops, wing and accoutrements, and A pillar trim, that's a "Daytona".....hmmmm?

I'll even include "factory sanctioned/authorized".....so where dose this "monkey wrench" fit in the scheme of " Daytona definitions"...  :scratchchin: :nana: :icon_smile_big:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on April 28, 2017, 01:26:16 PM
Nope. Those "G" body cars were Dodge Daytonas. 
Maybe you are thinking of the L body Dodge Charger, previously called Omni 024 ?   :shruggy:

Forgot these "beauties" from the 70's... :scratchchin: :nana:

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 28, 2017, 02:00:27 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on April 28, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Ok, so...1969 model, flush rear plug, nosecone, fender scoops, wing and accoutrements, and A pillar trim, that's a "Daytona".....hmmmm?

I'll even include "factory sanctioned/authorized".....so where dose this "monkey wrench" fit in the scheme of " Daytona definitions"...  :scratchchin: :nana: :icon_smile_big:

Mock ups aren't allowed!   :pity:
The verbiage about "plastic parts" is funny!   :smilielol:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on April 28, 2017, 02:27:50 PM

Mock ups aren't allowed!   :pity:

There's goes the"neighborhood"...guess this is out of the picture as well, just another "mock up"...  :icon_smile_big:

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 28, 2017, 04:09:44 PM

There's goes the"neighborhood"...guess this is out of the picture as well, just another "mock up"...  :icon_smile_big:

Mules are ok, lol.... :lol:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on April 28, 2017, 07:05:33 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 28, 2017, 04:09:44 PM

Mules are ok, lol.... :lol:

Ahhhh, but nobody can "poke this bear"...  ;D

RCCDrew

I drove this Daytona the other day.

A383Wing

note the plate

:popcrn:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: A383Wing on April 29, 2017, 04:02:02 PM
note the plate

Yes?.... A Michigan Dealer plate 1969 could have little to no bearing on anything?, but did you note the "lot / holding area" it's parked in?  :scratchchin:

moparstuart

Jerry Pudders around my Buddy Jerry Strickers place in Gardner Kansas  now his passion  is restoring little honda motorcycles
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 29, 2017, 04:56:55 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on April 29, 2017, 04:02:02 PM
note the plate

....how bout some color from 1969, early 70   :icon_smile_cool:

Yeah, my shoes, my thumb and my color original photo! (yes, I still have it!)
Both pics with me holding the large photo were taken at the WPC Museum by John Pappas.

The black and white 8x11 pics of the car you find on the 'net were in a folder clearly marked "McCurrys Daytona",
yet Bob denied knowing anything about it.    I bought the stuff from Harry Casebeer, when he was retiring from Chrysler in the late 80s.
He was a pack rat and saved many pics from getting trashed in the 1979 GREAT PURGE at Chrysler of info and parts.

Any guesses where the color pic was taken?  :shruggy:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on April 30, 2017, 05:54:11 AM

Any guesses where the color pic was taken?  :shruggy:

Hamtramck Assembly plant, I was told this was the "yard" where Executive, Press Photo, Road Test, and other assorted "off-line" vehicles where held pending their use, the photos are supposedly dated Feb 1970, you would/should be able to confirm that time date Greg...

As far as MuCurry's (Dodge General Manager at the time) involvement or ownership, who knows? it's easy to speculate/assume based on the folder with the 4 B&W photos with his name across it that it may have been his personal car?, but by the time he was interviewed about this many decades had passed, and I'm sure the man has seen many more cars/projects than all of us combined, so to remember a particular car and time period is probably daunting after many decades, when I was doing the photo shoot and magazine article for MCG on my replica build of the "Mellon", the editors Emailed me the past articles and initial interview drafts/photos/etc of the "70 Daytona's fact or fiction" installments, McCurry's several interview/draft follow ups were of interest as he stated he had no memory of any 70 Daytonas being built, particularly of the Green car, or of the photos when shown, but several interviews earlier he also stated when asked if he ever had/owned a personal Daytona, which he stated "no", yet when asked the same question again in a follow up interview he said he had a "personal" Daytona, and he "believed" it was red, when pressed if it might have been green he became upset why MCG was pursuing a connection between him and the green 70 (maybe he was a green car hater  :rofl:) No disrespect, but I take the McCurry interviews with a grain of salt due to the large lapse in time, his memory recall, and his possible mental/health state at the time of the interviews, he did pass shortly (2006) after the articles made press in late 2004 into early 2005

My research into the car followed it into being present at several ISCA shows in the late 69 early 70 season accompanying the Dodge "What's new for 70" factory displays of new car models, and a Mr Norms dealer display at various events over the US, I was given a "mystery" photo several years ago of the vehicle at the Michigan Career Institute which led to some uninformed often absurd conclusions by some individuals as to why the vehicle was there, but several years later while researching another project, I purchased off Ebay a vintage ISCA program brochure that surprisingly and unknowingly had more photos of ISCA events hosted by the Michigan Career Institute and connected the 70 Daytona with further photos to the Dodge displays and the previous mystery photo I was given many years ago...I left the trail cold many, years ago, as I lost interest in pursuing the Mellon's origin, as it's just a vehicle/machine/toy to enjoy regardless of who/what/where/why/etc it was created or used for, Interest is always there if more info or the actual vehicle/parts ever surface, you never know?  

A few accounts of the car were seen at Dodge Main Executive parking lot from December 69 to late Feb 1970 by Andy D'Agostino former Chrysler employee who oversaw the transportation of several Chrysler show/press/road test vehicles as well as the RTS Caravan cars/displays, after that it fell off the radar never to be seen again...just like the B5 70 Daytona

Mike