News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What black paint to use for authentic restoration?

Started by DAmatt, April 30, 2017, 03:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAmatt

Hi guys & gals,

It's been a while since I posted, things are going at a snail's pace with my '68s restoration (we really need the trans atlantic free trade deal with the US, it's taking ages with EU customs!). However, finally the body is ready and primed.

I searched this forum, but never have I found a thread regarding what black paint to use. If there is one, please point me to it, and delete this thread.
I want to restore my car as original as possible, and the state exempts this car from the rules that I have to use environmentaly friendly paint, so I can use anything, no matter how toxic. The dealer which is restoring my car is waiting for me to decide, I need a paint code for a black exterior. I also read about old paints, like enamel, what did Ma Mopar use back in the day? Being a numbers matching stock resto, I'm aiming to get as close as possible to factory specs.
Has anyone of you fine ladies and gentlemen went this route while restoring the car? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
1968 Charger R/T auto, matching numbers 440 rebuilt to stock specs w/ L2355F .030 pistons & .039 gasket, MP 4452783 cam, stock 4637S Carter AVS rebuilt by Harms automotive feeding a stock 2806178 intake manifold. Air gets into unported 906 heads with hardened seats, and exits through HP manifolds and through an Accurate 2.5 to 2.25 aluminized exhaust to the 2.25 stock chrome tips. Still in awe of what the engineers were able to do more than half a century ago!

alfaitalia

Its not the Free trade that slows things down....its the dead slow UK customs...so a trade deal wont change that. Then they charge you import tax and then VAT on top of that ...so you pay Value Added Tax on the import tax...thieving gits! This is assuming you are in the UK....cant tell as your profile is not filled in.....but the same applies to most of Europe...the further North you go the more the paint rules are adhered to....just like everything else in the EU! Down South no one cares...about anything much it would seem to me!!!

Your car may be OK to have the old lead based toxic paint....but your body shop is most certainly not exempt from spraying it. So unless they are willing to risk the huge fine that comes with it should they get a surprise inspection I doubt they will spray it (depending how straight they are...or how much cash gets back handed I guess!!). So unless you are prepared to spray it yourself it will probably be a modern water based paint. And to be honest the modern paints are superb anyway. Merc and BMW have been using it for twenty years plus...and there cars are not exactly renown for the paint falling off!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

hemi-hampton

The Factory used 2 coats of acrylic enamel single stage. Paint code TX9. Or nowadays you could use single stage urethane or polyurethane. I used urethane single stage on my last black car I painted. Dave Dudeks Hemi Roadrunner. Left some orange peel in it for a factory look. Pic below. LEON.

DAmatt

Thank you guys for your replies!

Alfaitalia, I thought that Western countries have less bureacracy, but it seems it's widespread :) I'm located in Romania, but even though things look very bleak, I am armed with pacience, and a bonus is that my profession is interpreting, and applying the law - so I don't worry about anybody trying to bend the law to fine my body shop - they do that at their peril. These are cars which deserve being preserved for our children, and grandchildren, and their children after them.

Leon, Thank you very much for your input, somehow I managed to get an equivalence chart from Dupont. What do you think the difference would be between 2 coats of enamel, and one coat of urethane? You can't immagine how hard it is for me not to go wild on hp numbers, now that the engine is being restored, my mantra is to keep everything as close to stock as possible... so that's why I have the paint dilemma.
Each year, a concours d'elegance is being held at the Royal Palace in Sinaia, presided by His Majesty, King Mihai of Romania, the last ruling monarch of WWII still alive. It is my dream to have the car as perfect as possible. Considering his age, I may not get another shot, so everything must be perfect.

Again, thank you both for your help
1968 Charger R/T auto, matching numbers 440 rebuilt to stock specs w/ L2355F .030 pistons & .039 gasket, MP 4452783 cam, stock 4637S Carter AVS rebuilt by Harms automotive feeding a stock 2806178 intake manifold. Air gets into unported 906 heads with hardened seats, and exits through HP manifolds and through an Accurate 2.5 to 2.25 aluminized exhaust to the 2.25 stock chrome tips. Still in awe of what the engineers were able to do more than half a century ago!

alfaitalia

Wow...I did not know that about your King. I thought our Queen was doing well being our monarch in the U.K. for 65 years! I hope he gets to see your car.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

hemi-hampton

Do you mean differance in thickness or Mils, I would never recommend one coat on any exterior or even 2 like the factory used. I put 3 coats & maybe 4 on the black Roadrunner & would recommend that on any single stage or clear coat. 2 coats base or single stage or clear may work on a low budget used car lot job that gets no sanding or rubbing but would not recommend. LEON.