News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need urgent response, trying to replace steering box but no way to get out of ca

Started by miller, April 30, 2017, 07:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

Hello,

We have been working to get the steering box out of 1969 charger. Steering column is pushed back out of way. All left suspension is removed, torsion bars are taken out and the lh headman header is unbolted from the head and the rest of the exhaust. However the headman header is stuck on the studs on the head and I can't get it to break free. The though was to get it off to make clearance for steering box removal. Does anyone have a tip on how to get the header off?

The next thought was to raise the motor a few inches on the left side (keep rh motor mount in and use floor jack on the oil pan to raise. However when we attempted it, we only raise the entire car, the motor did not rotate. So we unbolted the right and engine mount and tried again, but still the car raised and not just the engine. Can anyone help give idea how to raise engine? The car is on a 4 post lift so we can't get an engine hoist in front of it to lift, so floor jack was our only option in our minds.

If at all possible can knowledgeable people reply back quickly as I only have today to work on car (took job downstate and car is still up state). Thanks so much in advance!
Miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

darbgnik

That's odd about lifting the whole car with the motor mount let go. Your original plan is how I swapped my steering box years ago. Unbolted driver side mount, jacked up engine, removed oil dipstick, and IIRC the steering pump, and still used a prybar to pop that sucker outta there. Of course all that would have been a non starter if the engine wasn't lifted. Maybe have a fresh set of eyes look at the motor mount to see why it's hanging up?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html