News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1st date in a mopar

Started by cooldude, May 01, 2017, 06:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooldude

You guys remember your first time dating in a mopar? Yup, waay back in the day somewhere, its bound to have happened.

For me, it was in the 1980s, in my old 1966 Barracuda. We were a little nervous, being young and all. But I took her for a ride in the night, radio playing, and she was really impressed with the car. She just kept going on about the car. So we just kept riding around, cruising, and enjoying that 273 V8 sound. She kept commenting on how nice and well preserved it was (and still is).

Sometime in the night, we had to stop for gas at a convenience store. I remember some guy was walking pasts, turned his head and said, "You wanna race that bat mobile?"

(there is always a jerk around, isnt there?)

But we had a really good time, and that opened a big door. We wound up getting married, then divorced a year later. But it wasnt because of the Barracuda. I think she liked it more than she did me on the end.

Mytur Binsdirti

Back in 1979-80, I picked up a date for the first time in my rallye green Daytona. About halfway to the movies, she asked why everyone was staring at the car & I asked her if she looked at it before she got in & she said no. When we got to the movies, she got out and looked at it & I think she was less than impressed.Our dating didn't last too long after that.

Charger RT

35 years ago I took a friend of mines sister out on a date in my 383 powered plum crazy purple 1970 Challenger. We dated for 4 years and have now been married for 31 years next month. She use to tell people she only goes out with me because of my purple car and every time I would let her drive it I would tell her I love that car more then you.
Tim

ODZKing

Hmm, thinking back on that made me think of the coincidence. It was in my 73 Charger, and her name was Martha.
Now I have another 73 Charger almost identical and I married a "Martha" ... not the same one but I thought it to be coincidental.  :scratchchin:

BrianShaughnessy

I met a girl at a Pretenders concert  (She looked a lot like Chrissie Hynde btw).   So a couple phone calls and a week or so later I pull up in Sinnamon to this  UMC house in the burbs...    And I get told at the door that she's not allowed to go anywhere with me that night.  :icon_smile_blackeye: 
But I got to hang out in her basement rec room equipped with pinball machines, pool tables, and a fridge stocked with dad's shitty beer.   
So we dated for almost a year during which I was known as the guy with the 'Car'. 

We went different ways.  I was crushed at the time but I knew there wasn't any future to it...   but she's still my friend on FB.    She was genuinely happy when I got Sinnamon back and started the resto.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Laowho

First car was our neighbor's '72 Satellite Sebring, in 1979, so that'd be the crazy girl from class who called me again 25 years later. Painted that car too after graduating. No idea what was in it.

OldGuy

Dated my wife back in 1969 in my 1968 Charger R/T.  We have been married now for 47 years...
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

green69rt

Purchased my first Charger and took delivery the day of the first date with my current wife, been married 46 years.  This pic is sometime later than our first date but before getting married.

draftingmonkey

1961 Plymouth Fury 4 door. Front bench seat was nice at the drive-in and rear doors and a roomy back seat for after the movie  :icon_smile_big:.

HPP

First date...I actually don't recall. Must not have made much of an impression. There were some subsequent dates that do stick in my mind though.

I do recall the first time I nailed the throttle and broke the rear end loose and fishtailed across the school parking lot.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: HPP on May 05, 2017, 10:39:48 AM
First date...I actually don't recall. Must not have made much of an impression. There were some subsequent dates that do stick in my mind though.

I do recall the first time I nailed the throttle and broke the rear end loose and fishtailed across the school parking lot.

First date? I don't recall either.

I do most certainly recall....after teaching my date to drive my 4 speed Challenger......SHE nailed the throttle and broke the rear end loose and fishtailed across the school parking lot.

birdsandbees

That would be every date, whether it was the '69 Fury II, the 1976 Fury Sport or when the old man finally let me put the '69 Bee back on the road in '79. Have none of my wife of 35 years, but here's the gal before her and why I had to spend so much $$$'s on straightening and blocking on the current resto!!  :lol:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

cooldude

I see on here some really strange coincidence stories, and that reminds me of my first date with my current wife in a mopar. It was 1992, and I drove up to her curb in my 79 Volare. It had a slant six, red body with white top, which I kept waxed and clean. It was a pretty car, come to think of it.

Anyway,it was a blind date, and I showed up in my red Plymouth. I didnt think about any coincidences or anything.

I didnt know that not long before, her grandfather had had a dream, and told her that she would marry a man who drove a red Plymouth.

So when I drove up in my red Volare and went to the door, I was wondering why everybody was acting so wierd?

Well, weve been married since 1993. Our first date was in the red Volare. We went to pizza, and watched a movie in thr theatres...Waynes World!

( I know).  :lol:

What a coincidence, about the grandfathers dream/ He was old and crippled at the time, but he had me drive it up in the yard to the back door, so he could see it and approve.

Strange coincidence, huh?

RCCDrew

Went to the homecoming dance with my now wife in my Ratty 72 Challenger. She really hated that car, lol. Now all we drive is Mopar.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: RCCDrew on May 06, 2017, 11:23:02 PM
Now all we drive is Mopar.

This kinda jogged the memory.....

As my first rig was a International 4x4 pickup.....[super shy redneck farmboy].....so nothing of interest happened in that one.

Every other car/pickup has been Mopar.....so all first dates have been in Mopars.

On a tangent.....chivalry is not now dead, or I believe ever has been dead. I always made a point to hold a door open, help her in/out of a car and still do. Worked well for me....and did for both of my sons. Both of their wife's and my fiancee as well have mentioned basic politeness set us apart from others right from the start.

ODZKing

Not sure if any of you have ever seen "A Bronx Tale" but being Italian, while growing up I was taught the test about unlocking the door as well, yep that was a real one. For those who are not aware of what I am talking about: when you picked up a girl, you opened the door for her and she got in. As You walked around the car, if she unlocked your door she was a keeper. This was back in the days before electric locks and key fobs. The previous post kind of reminded me of that.
The pepper on the mirror was another Italian thing. Had to be given to you though, you couldn't get one yourself. And it was for good fortune with your car, sort of like Saint Christopher back in the day.

dyslexic teddybear

Never thought of it as a test....but it did feel good when she did unlock my door. More so when it was raining.  :yesnod:
Another benefit.....to reach, she'd be more in the middle.....and often stayed there.
Advantage, bench seat.

birdsandbees

Yep.. bench seat and shifting into 2nd had it's benefits!  :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

cooldude

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on May 07, 2017, 09:07:25 AM

As my first rig was a International 4x4 pickup.....[super shy redneck farmboy].....so nothing of interest happened in that one.

Every other car/pickup has been Mopar.....so all first dates have been in Mopars.

On a tangent.....chivalry is not now dead, or I believe ever has been dead. I always made a point to hold a door open, help her in/out of a car and still do. Worked well for me....and did for both of my sons. Both of their wife's and my fiancee as well have mentioned basic politeness set us apart from others right from the start.

I suspect the real reason that country boys closed the doors for thier dates, was so the country girls didnt absentmindedly slam the door when closing it, and break up the window regulators?  ::)

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: cooldude on May 07, 2017, 10:11:37 PM

I suspect the real reason that country boys closed the doors for thier dates, was so the country girls didnt absentmindedly slam the door when closing it, and break up the window regulators?  ::)

As a chivalrous gentleman, of course I would never take advantage of the view sometimes offered by my dates as I helped them in/out of my car/truck.  :angel:

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 07, 2017, 05:35:20 PM
Yep.. bench seat and shifting into 2nd had it's benefits!  :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:

[sigh] Modern generations will never get to experience the simple and subtle enjoyment of a long handled shifter, a bench seat, and your date sitting close.  :yesnod:

rustafarian

I met some friends at a bar and hit it off w a friend of a friend
We all decided to head somewhere else and
She was going to ride w me.  We walk outside and she asked which car was mine
I said the coolest car in the lot
He response was epic:
That's your Roadrunner?!?!!
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

Lennard

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on May 08, 2017, 08:01:39 AM
Quote from: cooldude on May 07, 2017, 10:11:37 PM

I suspect the real reason that country boys closed the doors for thier dates, was so the country girls didnt absentmindedly slam the door when closing it, and break up the window regulators?  ::)

As a chivalrous gentleman, of course I would never take advantage of the view sometimes offered by my dates as I helped them in/out of my car/truck.  :angel:

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 07, 2017, 05:35:20 PM
Yep.. bench seat and shifting into 2nd had it's benefits!  :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:

[sigh] Modern generations will never get to experience the simple and subtle enjoyment of a long handled shifter, a bench seat, and your date sitting close.  :yesnod:

I feel so young after reading through this topic.  :icon_smile_big:

RCCDrew

I'm 39. Went to homecoming I'm my 72 Chally.  :icon_smile_cool: