News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

can you replace pins in door on car

Started by brad mcintyre, May 01, 2017, 06:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad mcintyre

are the pin in lower door hinge on 66 charger pressed in or can they be drove out with a hammer just wondering if I supported the door could drive out the old and in the new anyone ever try

Kern Dog

What? Why not? Maybe you are over thinking this. Remove door. Remove hinge. Perform service on hinge. Reassemble.  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

You can do the lower with the door in place. The upper you cannot.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on May 01, 2017, 08:26:36 PM

Curious as to why?  Only thing I can think of is a support issue..

Thinking out loud:
If you replace the top hinge first to avoid any possible unnecessary stress on the bottom later.
Fully open the door and use a support either under the door or say support from above using something affixed to the end of the door. Why not replace the lower screw of the latch mechanism with a longer one or simply put a S hook under it like a washer and then connect a line from there to the rafter. Now that the door is supported remove and rework the upper hinge. Replace and move on to lower?
Avoid putting anything (including yourself) into the car during so as to not change the "ride height" and tweek anything.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 02, 2017, 06:45:25 AM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on May 01, 2017, 08:26:36 PM

Curious as to why?  Only thing I can think of is a support issue..

Thinking out loud:
If you replace the top hinge first to avoid any possible unnecessary stress on the bottom later.
Fully open the door and use a support either under the door or say support from above using something affixed to the end of the door. Why not replace the lower screw of the latch mechanism with a longer one or simply put a S hook under it like a washer and then connect a line from there to the rafter. Now that the door is supported remove and rework the upper hinge. Replace and move on to lower?
Avoid putting anything (including yourself) into the car during so as to not change the "ride height" and tweek anything.

Door shell is in the way of the pin.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

brad mcintyre

thank you the bottom one is the only one with play thought it would be a lot easier if I could drive out and in being lazy.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on May 02, 2017, 07:04:11 AM
Door shell is in the way of the pin.

Ah, yes. I read into the OP as removing the hinge and rebuilding off the car. Then replacing it. Not just driving out the pin.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.