News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the best modification you've made to your Charger?

Started by JR, May 03, 2017, 06:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

I thought the front page was looking sort of stale here, and have a thread topic I've been wanting to start for a while now.

So, like title states, what's the best modification you've made to your Charger?  Be it for better drivability, appearance, reliability, or anything.

What is the best dollar spent per enjoyment returned modification you've made to your car?

More power? Big brakes? Bitchin' surfer foot gas pedal and cowgirl mudflaps?

Mine is a really hard decision between the EFI and the 17 inch modern tires.

Both improved the drivability and the fun of driving the car immensely, and have justified their purchase price many times over with how much better the car performs now.

So with that said, I'm wondering, what are some of the best modifications you've made to your Chargers?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

71charger_fan

cbrestorations

JR

DUDE THATS LOOKING AWESOME!

Can't wait for on track videos of Daisy.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Kern Dog

I like those wheels, Chris. I'm used to seeing them on import cars so its nice to see them squeezed in there!

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Kern Dog

To answer the OPs question....
My Charger was a 318-904-8.25-4 wheel drum car originally. It is hard to single out one specific change that made the most impact on me. Pretty much every change made a nice difference. Visually, the body and paint is an easy choice. The 440/493 obviously makes more power than the 130,000 mile 318. The suspension and steering modifications/changes resulted in a better handling car. The brakes evolved from 4 wheel drums to front disc/rear drum, then to 4 wheel discs.

6bblgt

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 03, 2017, 08:08:56 PM
I like those wheels, Chris. I'm used to seeing them on import cars so its nice to see them squeezed in there!

but, but, but, those tires are directional, right?  is the car built for going forward or reverse?  :scratchchin:

cbrestorations

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 03, 2017, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on May 03, 2017, 08:08:56 PM

but, but, but, those tires are directional, right?  is the car built for going forward or reverse?  :scratchchin:
It's the craziest thing...when you turn the steering wheel it then directs the tread pattern in the direction you wanna go

Laowho

Scheduled for the Passon 4-speed OD, and then we'll add sub-frame connectors outa 2x3 stock, leafs/shocks and bigger sway bar. After that, this 17" wheel thing is what's on every must have list and guess we'll have to seriously look into it. Just dunno that I ever saw any that managed to look stock enuf for me and our mild driver. In fact, was parked next to a beautiful 71 RR last nite, all 500+hp of its 383/pistol-gripped 4-speed with 17" torque thrusters, and it was all pretty clear that he's in one lane and we're in the other w/ our 15" rallye wheels and all the rest that came w/ a white top. UNLESS the handling trade-off is as there as some say. Then we'll gladly jump, but might start w/ 60s instead of 70s. That'll help handling.

CRW-FK5

Just 6T9 CHGR

Larger front swaybar & addition of a rear with Bilstein shocks...Oh yeah front power discs helped too!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

DAY CLONA

Tremec TKO 600 5 spd .64 OD, behind a 440/6, how else can you do 140-150 MPH with 4:10 gears  :coolgleamA: only regret is I wish I had parked a Tremec T56 6 spd Viper .50 OD behind it instead

4 wheel power disc brakes is second on the list for best mods performed/made...

fizz

Overdrive auto trans. Low gears for scootin and low rpm interstate cruise

comet_666

When I started the restoration of my car it was a poorly built 440/ 4 speed 3:91,  4 wheel drum car that was so badly rusted it was pretty much split in half. I drove it like that for 10 years.
The car after restoration has frame ties, torque boxes, front sway bar, new rear frame rails, dick brakes in the front, 3.23 gears /727 and a 512 stroker motor. By not doing 1 upgrade at a time it is very hard to tell what upgrades did what, but I can tell you that being able to stop the car helps!

taxspeaker

replaced 383 with crate hemi
then replaced torque converter
then replaced tranny
then replaced torque converter again
then replaced torque converter again
then replaced owner

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BLK 68 R/T

So far, I think the change to EFI has been the best upgrade.

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

74Rallye

Changing the auto out for a 4 sp and $hit canning my Edelbrock for a Demon carb. Next will be the rear suspension as the axel wraps up too much and breaks stuff.

alfaitalia

Still in production and classified....but....8.71....nuff said!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

303 Mopar

Auto to a 4 speed jumped the fun of driving my car, but it was a few thousand to do it.  Best bang for the buck has to be subframe connectors.  Amazing how much more solid the car is now for not that much money.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

XH29N0G

Mine is probably upping the power by having the engine rebuilt from the HP 383 to a 450 stroker.  I have yet to do brakes and suspension and look forward to that.  I like sticky tires now.  I am probably most proud of the restoration that brought it back to better than its original shape, and I like most of all the continuous tinkering (which would be all of them, to infinity and beyond).
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....