News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another brake question-original equipment

Started by tcurtis, May 03, 2017, 09:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcurtis

My '69 R/T needs a new power booster (posted in a previous thread).  I'm just trying to make sure I get the proper part.  I believe I need the Bendix-style power booster (probably get it with the master cylinder as well).  I am unsure as to whether the car started life with manual drums, power drums, or power front disc/rear drums, and was upgraded at some point (it now has power front disc/rear drums).  The parts on the car now appear to be of Chrysler origin, not aftermarket.  My question is if the car was upgraded at some point with factory equivalent parts, can I just replace the booster with another factory-style part?  I know this might seem a silly question, but I've seen many parts for sale that are for manual to power conversions that require firewall modifications.  If any of this makes sense, any assistance is appreciated.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes you can get factory booster.  However finding an original Bedndix style booster will be very difficult & costly.

This company sells a reproduction of the booster but the mounting plate itself might have to be enlarged...not the firewall.

http://piratejack.net/1966-1969-b-body-mopar-bendix-style-booster/

One person to check to see if he has any OEM rebuilt units for sale outright is Booster Dewey

http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com/
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tcurtis

Actually I was looking at the Pirate Jack products. I saw another place that offered a booster that would fit and function properly but wouldn't be correct in appearance but it wasn't much cheaper than the Pirate Jack repro if I remember correctly. Thanks for the info, I hope to order today.

BLK 68 R/T

tcurtis

I tried them.  Even though their site says they can get it, apparently they can't.

375instroke

"Call for availability."  They'll say they can have your core rebuilt.

375instroke

I'm guessing you don't have a fender tag or build sheet?  I'm sure you can tell if the brakes are original.  Does it have four piston calipers now?  Are the rear drums 10" or 11"?  Can you post a picture of the combination valve or valves?  From what I've found out, the lip that the dust boot attaches to on the back is a little larger than originally.  Somewhere around 1/8".  Some people cut their old reinforcement plate with a die grinder, or you can get a new plate already opened up.  Nobody has said the firewall needs to be opened up.  Nobody has said the mounting holes need to be elongated or redrilled.  This site's search engine doesn't work for me very well.

tcurtis

Photos of the block from the side and from the bottom (as best as I can manage).  11" front disc, 11" rear drum (I believe).  Not sure on the number of pistons in the calipers and unfortunately unable to check at this time.  No build sheet, no fender tag.