News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best company to insure your Charger with???

Started by tcs69rt, May 04, 2017, 04:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcs69rt

Not sure I want to give Hagerty $400+ for 25 grand worth of coverage. Have a neighbor who suggested American Classic Car Insurance. Said he was paying around $235 for same coverage. Any suggestions? Thanks. TC
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Ryan.C

funny you should mention insurance.....

I just received a quote from american collector ins. $427 a year for 60K coverage. I will be watching to see what others have gotten for a deal.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Aero426

Heads up compared, Hagerty has been the highest quote the three times I have shopped for policies.  You think that nice glossy magazine comes fo free?

Aero426

Give a call to Lars Anderson at Rally Insurance,  800-801-1823.    He's the independent agent I use near Chicago.    They specialize in classic car insurance, but also handle traditional things like home and auto.   What he will do is get you multiple quotes from the different classic insurance carriers that he reps and you can compare apples to apples.   Very easy process.    Easier than doing it yourself.    

I got three quotes back for my three collector cars in 2013.   We're talking about $120k of agreed value total.  

One was Hagerty,  One was Classic Collectors and the third was American Modern.  The price difference was significant.    Although the agreed value was identical on all three and zero deductible, there are options like spare parts coverage, towing, glass etc that could affect your decision.  

Of the three quotes, I don't have Hagerty because it was so far out of the box.  But my recollection is it was about 40% higher!   I know it was over a grand.  

The American Modern quote was $623 annual  with 0 ded, $2k in spare parts,  $200 towing and glass coverage avail at extra cost.

The Classic Collectors quote was $510 annual with 0 ded,  $500 in spare parts, $100 towing, and full glass coverage.   For me, this was the clear winner.  

I had to supply detailed photos of the exterior, interior and engine compartment of the cars, but did not need an appraisal.      

The point is not what my cost was compared to yours, but that there was a lot of difference in the quotes.     Your pricing is going to depend on the amount of agreed value you want, what state you live, your record, if the car is modified, etc.    

Dino

This was over a year ago but my Haggerty policy for a stock car insured for $30K got up well over $400 so I dropped them. I called Grundy and they gave me full coverage with a bunch more options AND for a modified car for around $250. Big difference. I started work on the car at that time so now it's just insured for sitting in the garage by my home insurance. Haggerty gave me great service the one time I called them, but the policy cost went up almost 100% in 3 or so years.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

4mayhemi

Dumped Haggerty. Went with American Modern. Pay $200 for 25K agreed value.
Seems the "other than Haggerty" companies are very competitive looking for market share and all policies are very similar coverage now.

If you use a broker, be informed and willing to pay their fees for a little legwork you can do yourself.  They're not concerned with cheapest rates for you, they steer toward biggest commissions.

ACUDANUT

Aero426

Quote from: 4mayhemi on May 06, 2017, 09:01:16 AM

If you use a broker, be informed and willing to pay their fees for a little legwork you can do yourself.  They're not concerned with cheapest rates for you, they steer toward biggest commissions.

Absolutely not my experience, as detailed above. 

In fact, I was so pleased, I had him quote my home and daily driver auto.  Compared to my existing Allstate policy, the new home and auto pricing through the new carrier was like getting the auto policy free.

tcs69rt

DING! DING! We have a winner. Grundy with the same coverages as Hagerty and $194 a year for 25 grand value.

That's a savings of $240 a year, 0 deductible, free towing.  :cheers:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

pipeliner

Are some of you under insuring your cars? I'm sure $25K couldn't replace a 69RT if it was a total loss.

Ryan.C

Quote from: pipeliner on May 14, 2017, 07:11:51 AM
Are some of you under insuring your cars? I'm sure $25K couldn't replace a 69RT if it was a total loss.

I was thinking the same thing! But it is not my car either.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

John_Kunkel

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I had a claim with Hagerty and they didn't cancel me...not so with some others I've had.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

lloyd3

I had a claim with American Collectors in 2008 and they didn't cancel me. After the car was completed, I increased the insurance to $40K coverage and paid the additional annual fee (~$400).  No complaints here.

brad mcintyre

Draco

I have my through Condon Skelly, $335. + 35 for roadside. 50K coverage.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: lloyd3 on May 14, 2017, 11:30:28 PM
I had a claim with American Collectors in 2008 and they didn't cancel me.

I didn't want to mention names but they are the one that cancelled me in 2003 on a different claim. (total loss)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

poppa

Got mine through National Corvette Museum. $35,000 for $337 (agreed). Way more liberal on driving , can take to work 2-3 times a month , I think it's more miles per year too. I got the adder for this. Worth it to me.  :Twocents:
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

DixieRestoParts

Something to consider on those quotes is what does the policy allow, not allow, as well as cover and not cover. That could account for some of your price differences. In my case, I have a car under construction and wanted to insure the value of the car as is, but also, for extra parts. I also have another car, that I wanted to insure the car and extra parts for it. Hagerty was the only company that would allow me to insure for $10,000 of parts for each car. I've been messing with these cars for over 30 years and have a huge amount of parts. $20K doesn't cover it all, but in the event of a total loss, would sure help. Much better than some of the other company's that only allowed $500-2500. Your homeowners would cover some loss, but again, read your policy to understand what they cover. Most people will exceed their homeowners contents coverage will just household items, let alone any car stuff.

It's all about the amount of risk you're willing to take vs. the premiums you're willing to pay. Similar to how the insurance company prices your coverage. How much of a risk are you to them?

it's always good to shop around and price coverage, especially with auto and home insurance. Sometimes it's good to know you're with the right company. Sometimes, it's good to know you need to change. Always check their ratings and reviews. A cheap price won't mean much if you have to fight on a claim later.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Old Moparz

I've had Condon & Skelly since 1989 & content with the coverage. I never had to file a claim, but I've never heard anything negative about them before.

http://www.condonskelly.com/

They used to cover cars that were stock only, but now have street rod & modified coverage. I have 5 cars covered, & the annual price is roughly $380.

1968 Charger (In a project state) - Value at $4000
1968 Coronet 500 Convertible (In a project state) - Value at $2500
1969 Satellite Convertible (In a project state) - Value at $6000
1970 Road Runner - Value at $18,000
1971 Scamp Value at $5000

Agreed value coverage with the prices above.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

375instroke

I've talked to a few of them, and they all require I park in a locked garage, and can't drive to work.

Dino

Quote from: 375instroke on June 03, 2017, 11:09:55 PM
I've talked to a few of them, and they all require I park in a locked garage, and can't drive to work.

Try Grundy, they have an option to drive it as much as you want.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

625 for American modern insured for 68k with spare parts etc....for the whole year. I have unlimited driving mileage (if I could drive it, lol right now) but they been good to me, but I had no claims except a tow claim when car broke down on the highway (transmission busted)

morepower

i have grundy 325 for 40k coverage which im upping to 50k
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

moparstuart

Quote from: poppa on May 16, 2017, 06:58:44 PM
Got mine through National Corvette Museum. $35,000 for $337 (agreed). Way more liberal on driving , can take to work 2-3 times a month , I think it's more miles per year too. I got the adder for this. Worth it to me.  :Twocents:
Me to Adam Boca is fantastic to deal with i Have  60k on the superbird  , 20 k on the hemi rat rod  and 25 k on the barn find charger and its  $466.00 a year now .  I havent had to use it ever but if its good enough coverage for the snooty corvette guys I think its great stuff . adam@corvettemuseum.org
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: Dino on June 04, 2017, 08:06:06 AM

Do they strictly go off agreed upon value or is there an appraisal along with it?

I have my '70 through Erie, couldn't use Hagerty or the likes because the same thing, no locked garage, driving to work, no newer primary vehicle, etc.    I pay ~350 a year for full coverage at what used to be an agreed upon value (15k), however the car also had to be appraised.  It "passed" that appraisal a few years ago and has since had a lot of new parts thrown at it.  This season I wanted to up the agreed upon value to 20k just because of what prices are doing, they had my car re-appraised and rejected the 20k and valued it at 16.5k.  So now I'm stuck with that unless I switch...  The only good thing with the Erie policy is there's basically no restrictions on anything, you can drive it like a regular car.

Dino

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on July 13, 2017, 01:01:08 PM
Quote from: Dino on June 04, 2017, 08:06:06 AM

Do they strictly go off agreed upon value or is there an appraisal along with it?

I have my '70 through Erie, couldn't use Hagerty or the likes because the same thing, no locked garage, driving to work, no newer primary vehicle, etc.    I pay ~350 a year for full coverage at what used to be an agreed upon value (15k), however the car also had to be appraised.  It "passed" that appraisal a few years ago and has since had a lot of new parts thrown at it.  This season I wanted to up the agreed upon value to 20k just because of what prices are doing, they had my car re-appraised and rejected the 20k and valued it at 16.5k.  So now I'm stuck with that unless I switch...  The only good thing with the Erie policy is there's basically no restrictions on anything, you can drive it like a regular car.

No appraisal afaik. They gave me a price based on agreed upon value. I'm sure I'll be quoted more when I actually need a new policy but I'm sure it'll still be way less than Hagerty.

Troy

I have Grundy - and have had them since I finally got driveable cars about a decade ago. My biggest complaint is that my premiums have gone up, on average, 20% per year (in years where I have made no changes). So, at this point, I am paying more than double as what I was paying originally. They do automatically increase the agreed value by $1,000 per year but if you do the math that's still way in their favor. They don't have a lot of restrictions - other than the storage requirements - and I did not need appraisals for any of the cars. Just like home and regular auto policies it seems like you have to switch providers every few years to keep the price in line.

I do like Hagerty because they will insure cars under restoration - but they also want an "expected completion date" which doesn't really work for me.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dino

Quote from: Troy on July 13, 2017, 01:22:24 PM
I have Grundy - and have had them since I finally got driveable cars about a decade ago. My biggest complaint is that my premiums have gone up, on average, 20% per year (in years where I have made no changes). So, at this point, I am paying more than double as what I was paying originally. They do automatically increase the agreed value by $1,000 per year but if you do the math that's still way in their favor. They don't have a lot of restrictions - other than the storage requirements - and I did not need appraisals for any of the cars. Just like home and regular auto policies it seems like you have to switch providers every few years to keep the price in line.

I do like Hagerty because they will insure cars under restoration - but they also want an "expected completion date" which doesn't really work for me.

Troy

Well dangit. The whole reason I cut Hagerty loose is because of their annual price hikes! Looks like that's gonna happen no matter what...

moparstuart

Quote from: Dino on July 13, 2017, 01:24:43 PM

Troy

Well dangit. The whole reason I cut Hagerty loose is because of their annual price hikes! Looks like that's gonna happen no matter what...
ive been with the corvette museum for 7 years now  , never had a price hike unless I up the coverage and then it has always been minimal
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dino

Quote from: moparstuart on July 13, 2017, 03:50:34 PM
Quote from: Dino on July 13, 2017, 01:24:43 PM

Troy

ive been with the corvette museum for 7 years now  , never had a price hike unless I up the coverage and then it has always been minimal

I'll be sure to give them a call then. I don't like these surprises much.   :2thumbs:

morepower

if grundy hikes me up then i'll shit can them
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Old Moparz

Troy

Condon & Skelly lowered my premium one year after having it not change at all for several years. I called to find out if it was a mistake & they assured me it wasn't & it went down because one of the cars on the policy passed some benchmark age ( I forget what) & they discounted the price.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus