News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Problems with my Dakota

Started by Drache, May 05, 2017, 11:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

So about 5 months ago I was having issues with my 2005 Dodge Dakota 3.7L V6 motor.

I took it into my cousin who charged me $300 in tests to tell me nothing was the problem. Two months later the motor went due to a bad camshaft positioning sensor lobbing the camshaft.

I was told that it would be cheaper to replace the motor with a used one than to have the shop rebuild it (I live in an apartment so don't have a place to work on myself).

So they find a used motor with the same mileage as my truck (155,000km/96,000 miles). I pick up the truck and drive 160km/99 miles to the middle of nowhere on a fishing trip. The oil pump sensor was going all over the place. Call my cousin who states it was just an oil positioning sensor and drive it back home. Well the engine seized up and stranded me on the highway.

So I pay to have the truck towed back to him because "the motor is under warranty". He replaces the engine and charges me $1000 in labor to put in another used motor which he claims is good.

Drove that motor 160km and it died on me. Had the truck towed to another mechanic that was closer. They called me today saying the motor is shot and should never have been put into that truck. They said they would put in another motor (crate motor) for $4000 (this includes the costs for testing the motor for the problems).

My cousin told me to just tow it back down to him (which is $500) and he would put in another used motor under "warranty" but would charge me another $1000 for that.

Now the mechanics looking at the truck now (NAPA) were very surprised to hear that I was charged $1000 to replace a motor that was under warranty. The mechanics at Dodge were also surprised.

So am I being taken to lunch by my own cousin or what?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

alfaitalia

Yes...you are. Any warranty worth the paper would cover parts AND labour. Not to mention he clearly knew nothing about the duff engines he fitted. Not good!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

crj1968

Ryan.C

Sorry to hear about your saga. FWIW, I used to work at a dealership and as it was previously stated a warranty covers parts and labor. I would also go so far as to say he should refund some of the charges thus far.  Every family has different dynamics however, I personally would not charge my cousins for labor or even good friends for that matter. :Twocents:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

daveco

The first (original) engine failed due to "lobbing" of the camshaft? And this was said to be due to a sensor?
I'm at a loss to come up with a scenario where a sensor can cause a camshaft failure. Camshafts can really only fail in a few ways, most common being a manufacturing defect. Next being lack of lubrication. After that some sort of debris or a lifter failure destroying a lobe. I can not imagine any way a sensor defect or failure can result in a camshaft failure.
R/Tree