News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why aren't accelerator pump nozzles below the butterflies? (and other questions)

Started by XH29N0G, May 06, 2017, 05:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

The answer is probably obvious (like the gas would be sucked out of them, or they couldn't be changed), but I started wondering why they were not put closer to the manifold to make them more effective at getting gas in quickly. I figured someone here would know; so I posted a new thread.

I don't have any other questions yet.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Ryan.C

If I understand your question correctly I think individual carburetors is part of your answer. The other part would be the gas dynamics of the intake that is to say a long intake runner typically increases engine torque. Carburetors are inherently inefficient. It is best to inject the fuel directly into the combustion chamber just before ignition.  If I am way off I would like to hear others chime in.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

XH29N0G

bored   :smilielol:

I have plenty I am supposed to do.  I suspect it might be procrastination.

Or maybe it protects us. 

JB400

I think the reason why the nozzles are above the butterflies, is because of fuel atomization.

daveco

Too much vacuum below the butterflies. Would just suck fuel through.
R/Tree

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: JB400 on May 07, 2017, 08:35:35 PM
I think the reason why the nozzles are above the butterflies, is because of fuel atomization.

:iagree: The nozzles above the butterflies inject the fuel into the center of the airstream where it's atomized, at part throttle below the butterflies the airstream wouldn't be centered on the throttle bore.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

resq302

I agree.  Below I think it would get too much vacuum causing the fuel to get sucked in like the idle circuit.  Above where they are located allows for better fuel atomizing to happen and a better burn.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto