News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Goop hand cleaner restores vinyl

Started by Laowho, May 15, 2017, 07:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laowho

I've mentioned a coupla times from reupholstering the rear bench. It made the absolute best cleaner, hands down, and even restored factory brightness, but I wasn't prepared for how much it actually reconstitutes the vinyl. Took off a door panel pad to see what we were faced with, and the back vinyl overlap was threatening to chip off if I tried to remove it. Cleaned it first with Goop and voila, suppleness was restored and the edges were releasing. A second cleaning did even more. The original vinyl will come off easily and wholly, allowing for proper flat repairs, and change to closed cell foam backing..

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

alfaitalia

Just for info.....you cant get Goop in the UK but a similar product called Swarfega (the original green one) will do as good a job on vinyl.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Laowho

Well, didn't think pics would help but on 2d thought, will take some and add to the MLV/Volara backing project--soundproofing at 1/4 the cost of aftermarket panels.

johnnycharger

Do you know what it is in the Goop that makes it work? Is there risk to the color if you use too much or over time?

Troy

It has always been marketed as a laundry stain remover. It has lanolin and glycerin to make your skin soft - which does the same for vinyl and leather. As for what actually makes it clean so well, I didn't read all the ingredients. I just know it works!

Here's a link to an MSDS:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/83/83d85490-3f95-48f4-a277-3ff8cb67b9b3.pdf

Petroleum distillates is what you're looking for I'd guess. Which makes sense as I've heard others say gasoline is the best vinyl cleaner (although quite possibly very dangerous!).

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

stripedelete

Has anyone ever tried it on a dash pad?

Laowho

No risk to color. I've put it to the vinyl several times, and no color ever leaves on a white rag (as compared with denatured alcohol).

johnnycharger

I'm going to try this on my seats. Do you clean it off with a wet rag after or just rub the Goop in and let it soak?

Laowho

The magic begins pretty quickly after putting it down, as the Goop begins to break down. Next thing you know it's turned to black water, and simply wipe it up. I apply w/ a Scotch Brite pad cuz I like to think I'm opening the pores better. Whatever the case, be ready for vinyl that's soft and bright again.

johnnycharger

Thanks! I'm going to give this a shot this weekend. I assume it will be fine for the leather inserts on the SE sears too. I am looking forward to no longer being scared that one day I'll sit in them and the  viyl will just break. That happened with a different set I had.

Miliman1983

Just to clarify are you talking about the Goop Pumice hand cleaner? Or another type could you specify. Thank you

TexasStroker

I would think you would want to try it without pumice first...especially if there are any tears in the vinyl.  Could be wrong, but that is what I'd go with first.

On the topic of lanolin mentioned earlier, we use Joe's Hand Cleaner at work...I'm wondering if it would have a similar cleaning effect on the vinyl.

Biggest problem I find with cleaning vinyl is either excessive shine, or a greasy residue.  Would be interested in knowing if the hand cleaners leave either.

http://goophandcleaner.com/

^Site says it is good for cleaning tools too.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

FastbackJon

I have white vinyl inside. Not sure if others are using this on black vinyl or what. Wondering if GOOP will clean it or just open the pores for more dirt to sink in and get trapped...

And is this the orange goop or the red, white and blue container?
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV