News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting my car

Started by randy73, May 15, 2017, 02:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

I have decided to paint my car myself, should I take everything off (Doors, Hood, Trunk lid, fenders, bumpers and all trim) or should I only take off the trim?

I ask because I have heard horror stories about getting the lines and gaps even.

1970Moparmann

Randy,

It depends on how good of a job you want to do.    :Twocents:

This website is very knowledgeable for all paint and bodywork.    I have spent many many hours on it.   Like this site, great members willing to help.   Since Autobodystore.com is all about bodywork and painting, it will have a lot of information for you to review.

It also will get you motivated as you see the projects people are working on.....

http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

70 sublime

Take it all apart if you are going a different colour

If you are going the same colour you might get away with leaving things together
Just remember where the shiny paint stops the dull paint starts so you will have to decide what to do around the door ways
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

randy73

Thanks, think I will take it apart. Already have the hood, fenders off for sanding.

Canadian1968

take it apart to jam everything . put it back when your ready to spray the whole car.

Depending on colour . Unless you are going with a solid colour . you will want the car together. This will avoid differences in the metaillics / spray pattern that can/ will happen if u paint in pieces (especially  for someone just starting out ) . Yes there will be some tape lines in the jams but let's face it if your new at it the last thing you need to worry about are some faint tape lines ! .

randy73

Quote from: Canadian1968 on May 16, 2017, 09:41:27 PM
take it apart to jam everything . put it back when your ready to spray the whole car.

Depending on colour . Unless you are going with a solid colour . you will want the car together. This will avoid differences in the metaillics / spray pattern that can/ will happen if u paint in pieces (especially  for someone just starting out ) . Yes there will be some tape lines in the jams but let's face it if your new at it the last thing you need to worry about are some faint tape lines ! .

Never thought of that, thanks!!

Painting the car the same color, but the car has the original paint.

superbirdtom

when your car is all jambed out and back together. use some 3m edge blending foam tape.  #06293 .    theirs a learning curve with it  but works well..  or get a tape bender that bends edge of your tape.  study how to do it online.  the foam tape works very well to keep overspray from going between your door and front fender into your hinge pillar..   google  ( TOM FERRY MASKING WITH PLASTIC)  an article I did in body shop business mag.    I do this type of work every day and you can get your jambs without any tape lines if you take your time.    make sure when you jamb out your car that the outside panels are basecoated  that way when you put it back together all you do with the outside is sand base with 800 and your ready to go.  Too many ppl jamming stuff out and getting antsy and not finishing outside of panels.   Good luck!

randy73

Wow, it was like you were reading my mind. I was just thinking about how to keep paint out of the jambs.

Thanks

randy73

Anybody use dupli-color paints?

randy73

How much paint will I need?

Guessing around 2 gallons or so

moparchris

How much paint depends on several factors.  How extensive of a job are you planning on doing?  Engine compartment, trunk, jambs, full roof etc... 
Remember you are reducing the color and adding hardener so 1 gallon just about ends up being 2 gallons of material once you mix everything. 
I used 1 gallon and maybe an extra pint or so of single stage material on a 71 Super Bee that was a complete resto but it had a vinyl top so I did not carry the color all the way up and over and I did not paint the underside except for a light spritz of overspray over the primer.
On a 68 Charger that I painted the complete shell, inside, outside and underneath ( Hemi resto) I used almost 2 gallons of single stage. :Twocents:

randy73

Painting everything but the interior and I am new to painting, so I am going to get 2 gallons.

Is the reducer always a 2:1 mixture and then adding more depending on the tip and gun you use?

randy73

And is a reducer the same thing as a thinner?

green69rt

Quote from: randy73 on May 26, 2017, 11:50:21 AM
And is a reducer the same thing as a thinner?

When deciding on the paint you will find out that your really need to get the tech sheet for your particular paint.  The tech sheet gives you such info as drying time, recoat time, mixing ratios for the color, reducer, hardener; plus other stuff.

There are other things to think about, final sanding, primer, single stage vs base coat/clearcoat.  How to set up your paint gun.   Not trying to scare you off just mentioning some things to think about.  I did the inside, underneath, engine bay and trunk on mine.

Here are a couple of places to find info.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88583.0.html
https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood-video/how-to-color-sand-buff-your-cars-paint-on-hands-on-cars-ep-15-eastwood/