News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air cleaner and pie tin

Started by Bad B-rad, May 16, 2017, 07:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

are you sure about the unsilenced air cleaner ?

that will support some pics and vids I posted about this on moparts asking about the same, where those cars looks like being really untouched on engine bay.

69CoronetRT posted about this ( here and there ) telling wasn't an option and of course he is one of the more respectables sources about that... but your testimony adds some spice about that LOL allong with the pics and vids I posted there. Truth is the air cleaner is an easy change, but I think the diff "ageing" would be noticeable I think

not saying somebody is right or wrong, but just diff stories about that
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bad B-rad

Maybe different plants used different Air cleaner housing?(think mine is a St.Louis car)
Or maybe they just used what ever was laying around?
I Am the 2nd registered owner of my 69, but the car sat for so long anyone could have swaped air cleaner housings off of my car, as my car has a very nice interior but someone swaped 70 front seats into the car.
So it is vey possible that someone changed my air cleaner before it got to me.

Because my engine is the exact same as Bronzedodge has, except the air cleaner housing.
Turquoise,Holley, A/C,4bbl exhaust manifolds(HP),and duel exhaust.

Bronzedodge

I'm sure.  I still see the fella that bought the car brand new every few months.   ;)  My car was built at the Hamtramck plant, BTW.  Feb 12 SPD.
Mopar forever!

Bad B-rad

How do you tell where your car was built?
I know mine was April 69, I think 4th I can't remember now,I will look when I look to see where it was built.

BLK 68 R/T

7th letter in the vin # will denote the plant it was built at.

For example WM23N0G1XXXXX, the G would be for St Louis.

Bad B-rad

Mine is a "B"
So same as yours, mine was april 9th.

Bronzedodge

Lemme see if I can get a pic on here....

Mopar forever!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Bad B-rad on May 21, 2017, 09:29:22 AM
Maybe different plants used different Air cleaner housing?(think mine is a St.Louis car)
I Am the 2nd registered owner of my 69, but the car sat for so long anyone could have swaped air cleaner housings off of my car, as my car has a very nice interior but someone swaped 70 front seats into the car.

Because my engine is the exact same as Bronzedodge has, except the air cleaner housing.

Do you have the Broadcast Sheet for the car?   If so look for this little gem.....  A lone "7" printed in the N codes section in the empty box between the "88 & 96"  IIRC this denoted the N97 Noise Reduction Package which for '69 would have gotten you the dual snorkel air cleaner...

Doug, please correct me if I am wrong... :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Bad B-rad

Yes sir the 7 is there.
My car was from California, is this a California thing or just an option somebody picked?

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 24, 2017, 05:58:03 PM
Quote from: Bad B-rad on May 21, 2017, 09:29:22 AM

Do you have the Broadcast Sheet for the car?   If so look for this little gem.....  A lone "7" printed in the N codes section in the empty box between the "88 & 96"  IIRC this denoted the N97 Noise Reduction Package which for '69 would have gotten you the dual snorkel air cleaner...

Doug, please correct me if I am wrong... :cheers:

Me correct you?..You're the one that taught ME about N97 coding on the BS.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Bad B-rad on May 24, 2017, 07:33:08 PM
Yes sir the 7 is there.
My car was from California, is this a California thing or just an option somebody picked?

It was an optional item, More commonly seen in CA cars but looking at the above window sticker this car was delivered to Virgina...

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 24, 2017, 09:42:01 PM

Me correct you?..You're the one that taught ME about N97 coding on the BS.

HA!   :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Bad B-rad

I wonder if it is Dodge's language that had helped add to the confusion about the 383 4Bbls 330HP vs 334HP Magnum/RR engine.
In that if you were going to restore a Charger with a 383, and it has an "H" code, when you look that up most every place calls that a High performance 383. And most guys know that high performance Chrysler engines (68-72?) were orange, and called Magnums.
So that may be why so many guys have 383 orange Magnum engines in auto Chargers at car shows.
Add in the 68-70 exhaust manifolds that everyone calls H.P. manifolds, but came on a bunch of 4Bbl engines, and that doesn't help.
So when guys are getting ready to do up their cars and the look and see the "H" code called High Performance, the Duel exhaust, 4Bbl(exhaust) manifolds, then I bet they just paint it orange, order up a Magnum pie tin and help add to the confusion, with out knowing any better.(I almost did, well I knew A/C engines were painted turquoise, but about the Magnum engine tin)

That's just my observation. Because up until recently I thought  Chargers (Auto or stick) had 383 Magnum engines,and I thought 2Bbl 383's were turquoise and Non A/C 4Bbl 383's were orange. I had seen so many at car show and photos on the web, I didn't think to question a thing, until I when to do my 1969 H code 383 Charger.

I think everyone can agree there is a ton of wrong info on how people THINK the 383(330HP and or 335HP) should be and how it really did come in 68-70 Chargers.

Nacho-RT74

Agreed, and thats whyI started a thread at moparts... plus a guy recently bought a 69 originally with 383 ( 318 at this moment ) locally and wants I help him to get the correct parts.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Bad B-rad

I have learned a few things from this thread, and still need to get the 383 4Bbl pie tin.
I have restored my duel snorkel air cleaner housing, and redone and painted my Org, valve covers, and the intake manifold and bolts. So I almost have mine back together, it is and always was going to be painted turquoise, but I may rock the 383 Magnum pie tin. I KNOW its not the way it should be, but I may still use it for a bit, before I retire it as garage bling and hang it on the shop wall.

triple_green

is your car a G or H code 383?
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Bad B-rad

If you are asking me the question, mine is an "H"code, 383 auto A/C #'s matching.
It is a F5 3x green 69,White hat special with, PS/PB/A/C Buddy seat, shift on column and WHS, I think that's it for options. Nothing to fancy or rare.

69CoronetRT

I think everyone can agree there is a ton of wrong info on how people THINK the 383(330HP and or 335HP) should be and how it really did come in 68-70 Chargers.

[/quote]

As you can see, it takes a while to explain the 383s. It's simply easier for books, magazines and people to continue writing the same, incorrect, information to save space and time.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

triple_green

this is a very interesting Thread.

What I have gleaned from my research is no 335 HP 383 in 68, just 330 and painted turquoise not orange for 383 or 440 in 68.

I had never seen anything but an unsilenced aircleaner on a H or L coded engine in 68, but a guy near me had a well documented CA car that had the snorkels, snorkels also show up in the early factory books for H codes.

However, I have never seen a unrestored car or factory picture of an H code with a pie tin.

I run a "383 Four Barrel" pie tin on my car just so not as many people will ask what the engine size is  :)

I'm sure I will be corrected...
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

69CoronetRT

Quote from: triple_green on May 28, 2017, 10:27:43 PM
this is a very interesting Thread.

What I have gleaned from my research is no 335 HP 383 in 68, just 330 and painted turquoise not orange for 383 or 440 in 68.

In 1968, the 335 horse came in only a RR or SB.

Bad B-rad

I agree, It looks as if the 383 (335hp)Magnum was like Dodges version of the RoadRunner engine and only used in the SuperBee, until 1970(then the Challenger R/T) And some guys say 69-4 speed Chargers got the 383Magnum(335)
That is they way I understand it.
But don't feel left out,68,69 H code guys, cause that engine is still referred to as a High Performance by Dodge, I guess the 335hp Magnum/Roadrunner engine was unique to the RoadRunners and Superbee to make those models something special.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: triple_green on May 28, 2017, 10:27:43 PM

First time for Orange engines ( but Hemis ) was 69, so that's the reason why even 383 335hp and 440 were turquoise still in 68

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Bad B-rad on May 29, 2017, 07:04:31 AM
I agree, It looks as if the 383 (335hp)Magnum was like Dodges version of the RoadRunner engine and only used in the SuperBee, until 1970(then the Challenger R/T) And some guys say 69-4 speed Chargers got the 383Magnum(335)
That is they way I understand it.
But don't feel left out,68,69 H code guys, cause that engine is still referred to as a High Performance by Dodge, I guess the 335hp Magnum/Roadrunner engine was unique to the RoadRunners and Superbee to make those models something special.

All 69 B bodies including Satellites, Sport Satellites, Coronet 500s, Chargers and the rest with the four speed and no A/C got the 335 horse. There was no 330 horse four speed assembly in 69 like there was in 68.

I believe the term High Performance is used a little loosely. The term was used to distinguish the 383 4bbl version from the 2bbl prior to 68 and in 71 but, at least in my mind, the 335 horse version is the true High Performance version in 68-70.

Bad B-rad

I totally agree that the term High performance was used to tell the 4Bbl from the 2Bbl engines.

I just caught an episode of "Graveyard Cars"(season 6 episode 11) and when describing the 68 Charger to his daughter "The Mopar man" (as he calls himself, not me) tells her the H in the vin stands for 330HP 383 MAGNUM, and that it should be painted turquoise. He refers to the engine a few times as a 330horse power 383 Magnum.

I am not trying to fire up this debate, I have clearly found advertisements from Dodge that states ONLY the SuperBee got a 383 Magnum in 68 & 69.
I am just saying that this and has been a very common mistake, made so many times it has almost become the truth.LOL.

Oh and to point out that Mark Worman has even made the error, so if he is calling it by the wrong name, then I don't feel so bad, about being wrong for all those years!!!!