News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to set up the sound system?

Started by euroZ06, May 18, 2017, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

I have a 68 charger, and the stock radio doesn't work. I want to keep it in the dash, and a modern stereo and stuff it into the glove box. I also want subwoofers...

any advice? and where to buy?
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

Old Moparz

Years ago I'd have done the same or similar, but there are currently some decent stock radio conversions that are set up to control modern electronics including bluetooth. I just saw one on display at the Spring Carlisle show that was actually a good sounding unit & not the typical crap that's overpriced & will make your ears bleed. I saved the business card & I will see if I can locate it later.

If you still end up wanting to hide something in the glovebox it might be better to look for a remote stereo. Subs are easy, they can go almost anywhere in the big old cars. I ran a pair of Bazooka tubes in the trunk of my 1971 Scamp with a 120 watt amp back there. The head unit is a Sherwood that fit in the dash without cutting the radio face plate. It's tougher on the B-Bodies with the face plate they have, that's why I suggested the remote unit.

Crutchfield has been around forever & very helpful. I've bought a handful of things over the years from them.  :cheers:

https://www.crutchfield.com
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

68pplcharger

It's obviously what you are after in a stereo. I installed a factory looking stereo in my Charger that offered 4x45 watts of power. The stereo also has an audio input for a n MP3 player, or whatever. I also optioned for the preamp out which I ran to a 1,000 watt Xploid amp. Ran one channel to a set of 4x6" 360watt rms speakers, that fit into the factory locations. Ran the second channel bridged to a sub. I ran the four 45 watt channels to four speaker in the dash. I had the optional side speakers with my car for two of the speakers (45 watt rms) and installed the Kenwood 45 watt rms split speaker(two 4" speakers side by side) for the center speaker. sounds awesome and looks factory. The link below is for there complete kit

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/1969-mopar-b-body-radio-with-bluetooth-jl-audio-stereo-kit.html

Laowho

We were gonna do all that, but think I've decided there's just no way around the $107 (rip-off) blank/radio-delete faceplate w/ wh/ to install our aftermarket radio. Just a small amp is goin in glove box.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: euroZ06 on May 18, 2017, 09:35:19 AM
I have a 68 charger, and the stock radio doesn't work.

There are several places that will put modern guts in your factory radio.

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=64
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ht4spd307

VegasCharger

Quote from: ht4spd307 on May 19, 2017, 03:42:11 AM
this works
https://www.bose.com.au/en_au/products/speakers/wireless_speakers.html

:iagree: :iagree:

This is what I want to do. It fits my plans on my Charger. Mainly because I will have the stock AM radio in the dash using the dash frame speaker. Also I will be using one rear speaker because I have an OEM rear speaker fader set-up including the radio plate with the fader rotary switch/bezel and wiring. Also I will have rear defrost. Neither the rear defrost or rear speaker were original options to the car but somehow I landed these parts and decided to put them in my Charger.

So both of my rear speaker mounting holes will be occupied. One with a speaker for the AM radio and one for the rear defrost motor. So for an alternative choice for listening to music I decided to do the Bluetooth speaker method. Seems very simple, no configuring where I going to mount my speakers w/o cutting anything, no worrying about stashing the head unit out of sight and no worrying about wire routing. I don't need a super blaring amplified system where I would have to sacrifice space in my car. A Bluetooth speaker and my smart phone is plenty adequate.

The only mod I might due is make a custom pedestal to mount my phone on when using it during music playing. Absolute NO drilling holes in my console, dash frame, etc. I will try to use existing holes (made from the factory) in my dash frame as a mounting source.

:cheers:

v21hemicharger

I don't care so much for music but the girlfriend does.  In the cuda I'm working on I plan to use this as all of her music is on phone and ipod and leave non-working radio in dash.  Probably kick panel speakers and 6 x 9's in back with sub in back.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109CL4505/JBL-Club-4505.html?tp=35808

EMCustoms

I chatted with Crutchfield and the rep put this nice little package together using the new retrosound stereo.  Should give my 68 some good sound.

RetroSound Redondo RT Head Unit
Pioneer GM-D9605 5-Channel Amplifier
Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 6-3/4" 2-way Speakers
Kenwood Excelon KFC-X693 6"x9" 3-way  Speakers
Kenwood Excelon XR-W1004 10" 4-ohm Component Subwoofer
17' 2-Channel RCA Patch Cable
17' 4-Channel RCA Patch Cable
12 Gauge Speaker Wire
14 Gauge Speaker Wire
4-Gauge Amplifier power wiring kit

krops cars

Here is a picture of mine. I installed an Alpine. All you do is cut the plastic radio trim. No damage to the dash. The sound quality of the original looking radio is not that great. I installed a few and did not like the quality.

LaOtto70Charger

Check out the Sony srs x11 speaker. Small but they make a lot of sound. I think they can even link up to 4 together. Velcro under the dash and connect to your phone.

VegasCharger

Quote from: krops cars on May 24, 2017, 11:56:43 AM
Here is a picture of mine. I installed an Alpine. All you do is cut the plastic radio trim. No damage to the dash. The sound quality of the original looking radio is not that great. I installed a few and did not like the quality.

Cut???  :scared: :scared: :scared:

That's a crime in some states. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Unless you bought a repo radio plate and saved the OEM plate from going under the knife. The you're free to go, no crime charged.  :cheers:

darbgnik

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 24, 2017, 05:20:13 PM

Cut???  :scared: :scared: :scared:

That's a crime in some states. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Unless you bought a repo radio plate and saved the OEM plate from going under the knife. The you're free to go, no crime charged.  :cheers:

Unless your car came with one already cut up like mine....... then proceed.  :2thumbs:
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html