News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct color of third member of a 69 Charger R/T 8.75"

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, May 21, 2017, 09:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I am restoring my car and have soaked the rear end in evap o rust revealing all the factory stampings. It appears that my rear third member was painted black then the factory markings were installed. My buddy has a very original Nevada car and his third member is natural with the factory markings. I have been told that they are supposed to be natural, and my MMC restoration book says the entire rear end painted black. Any thoughts on this? Is it possible for both to be correct? I found original black paint on the spring pads which lead me to believe that my springs were black so I went back that way. My car is a 11/68 build.

Thanks for the help

Lawrence

ACUDANUT

BLK 68 R/T

ACUDANUT

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on May 22, 2017, 01:50:03 PM
The center section is natural color.

What is a natural color ? Green ??

Surprise, it's black. Really.

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 22, 2017, 03:12:11 PM
Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on May 22, 2017, 01:50:03 PM
The center section is natural color.

What is a natural color ? Green ??

Surprise, it's black. Really.

Not black. Natural color, as in bare cast iron color

Bronzedodge

8 3/4 housing - some sort of semi gloss black.  Center section - bare, natural cast.   :2thumbs:
Mopar forever!

B5 Charger

Quote from: Bronzedodge on May 22, 2017, 05:14:11 PM
8 3/4 housing - some sort of semi gloss black.  Center section - bare, natural cast.   :2thumbs:

Agreed, I've never seen a housing that was bare.  Not saying it didn't happen, I've just never seen one.  Mine is semi gloss black with yellow factory markings on the pumpkin and a bare steel center section.  Mine isn't an R/T but it also had an 11/68 build date.

Sixt8Chrgr

Guys,

Thanks for all the input. After more soaking in evap o rust it is clear on mine. The third member is natural, cast in color and the housing is semi-gloss black. The evap o rust soaking also revealed clearly the letter "B" and also an "x" with a circle around it. The date code on the third member is 1102, there is a "31" and paint daubs. The axle tube has "593" 3.23 open, several paint daubs, and another number on the driver's side forward facing on the tube. I think it is the assembly date of the housing and the third member. Looks like it is 1105.

B5 Charger

Post up some pics of those markings and paint dobs.   :popcrn:

Sixt8Chrgr

Here are some pics of the third member date codes and the paint daubs showing a 3.23 open...ugh...the three black marks on the bottom of the third member. The "31" is a job number with no real relevance to the car build date. The "1122" I think is the assembly date of the third member and the axle. The "11 02" is the assembly date of the third member.

B5 Charger

Sixt8Chrgr

Here are a few more of the axle housing. On the center section there is a "B" and an "X" with a circle around it. The "B" is for B-body not sure what the "x" with the circle around it means? Maybe open axle?
The "593" is the code for 3.23 open rear end.

Sixt8Chrgr

Here is a job production number on the third member, "31"