News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74 B Body proportioning valve (rebuild or buy)

Started by Vegas_Nick, May 21, 2017, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegas_Nick

I am working through the brakes this weekend and the first hint were the rear wheel cylinders.

Both were frozen solid.

All new brakes on. New Master cylinder on. Zero fluid to the rear. I noticed when I got the car that the brake warning connector was snipped off. Should have been a clue ScoobyDoo. So any way, I am pretty sure the proportion valve is gunked up. Have any of you guys rebuilt the valve? Have a recommendation for a better replacement? It has factory discs on the front and I am keeping the drums on the rear for now.

One mopar

I have a DPI ain't lock valve  :Twocents: if I had kept the drums I'd go get one off pickup truck that have a rod so it has more control. I tryed taking mine apart to seized solid. What's your plans for the car? Resomod ? Or stock?
I gave up on the drums after rebuilding them 2x in a year couldn't get the parts to hold up and last

AZMoparboy

Hi,

I've been just where you were with your charger.  My proportional valve was messed up also. I bought some items from a company on the Internet called muscle car research LLC .  I think the valve that you have for your car is Kelsey-Hayes 86652 Combination Valve.  On their website they have a breakdown of how to rebuild the proportional valve.  From time to time there is a valve on eBay if your valve doesn't come apart well you can find other used ones around they just need to be rebuilt as well.

There was a time when some companies out there made a replacement valve that resembled what is in our chargers. I bought one and it did not work. Something inside Was not made correctly and it didn't function as it should. That is why I tried to rebuild mine and I was lucky enough to make it serviceable.

If your valve is not Rebuildable, there is one on eBay right now, the item number is 192184792530.

Good Luck
Steve

Good Luck,
Steve

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: One mopar on June 04, 2017, 03:16:38 PM
I have a DPI ain't lock valve  :Twocents: if I had kept the drums I'd go get one off pickup truck that have a rod so it has more control. I tryed taking mine apart to seized solid. What's your plans for the car? Resomod ? Or stock?
I gave up on the drums after rebuilding them 2x in a year couldn't get the parts to hold up and last

Yeah, mine was frozen up too. I just decided to put a tee in the front and add a proportioning valve that is adjustable for the rear. I already bought it from In Line Tube. Not even sweating the "correctness" of it since there is nothing on this car that will be restoration -like. I'll go to rear discs when I build a new rear end for it.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: AZMoparboy on June 04, 2017, 10:04:00 PM
Hi,

I've been just where you were with your charger.  My proportional valve was messed up also. I bought some items from a company on the Internet called muscle car research LLC .  I think the valve that you have for your car is Kelsey-Hayes 86652 Combination Valve.  On their website they have a breakdown of how to rebuild the proportional valve.  From time to time there is a valve on eBay if your valve doesn't come apart well you can find other used ones around they just need to be rebuilt as well.

There was a time when some companies out there made a replacement valve that resembled what is in our chargers. I bought one and it did not work. Something inside Was not made correctly and it didn't function as it should. That is why I tried to rebuild mine and I was lucky enough to make it serviceable.

If your valve is not Rebuildable, there is one on eBay right now, the item number is 192184792530.

Good Luck
Steve

Good Luck,
Steve

Thanks Steve! YEah, every place that had one was sold out of quite rebuilding them. I am just doing away with it and adding an adjustable calve.

One mopar

Glad I could help  :icon_smile_big: mines Ben lovable headache lately  :brickwall: