News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pls help with my charger in NY)

Started by euroZ06, May 21, 2017, 10:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

Hi,

I just bought a 68 charger, which has a 383 in it. Its not original, however it looks very stock and mint. Id love to keep it that way, but i really need more power, its really slow.

Im pretty sure it has very low gears as well (around 2300 rpm at 60mph). So id like to put 3.55 posi in it, and ive done that swap before, so im confident.

1. The tranny has stock linkeage and at first it was shifting at 2k rpm, no matter what, but i adjusted the lever and now it shifts around 3k rpm, but shifts are very hard and it still doesnt drop a gear when u floor it (and still shifts at 3k rpm at wot). How to fix this?

2. I think besides rear end, i need to add a bit of power. Id like to keep stock headers, but maybe change out the carb? How hard is it to swap the cam? Can i keep stock cam and get power from a different carb and air intake manifold?

3. Any other ideas to get power and keep it stock looking?

4. The gauges are all new, however besides the tach and speedo nothing is working. How do i connect them?

68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

alfaitalia

Obviously if you raise the gearing she's going to feel slower still....so I would not fit the 3.55 until she runs right.They are not the most powerful thing on earth but I don't think many would describe a 383 as slow. Give it the full service and tune up before you start throwing money in there...could be something as simple as ignition timing or carb setup.

Probably no need to post the same thread in different sections BTW! Imagine the state this forum if we all did that LOL!! ;)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

BrianShaughnessy

Right off the bat your carb linkage is all messed up.   You need to get a holley mopar linkage adapter.     The trottle and kickdown linkage both run off the same stud that you only have the kickdown on.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

johntpr

Are you looking to do this work yourself or looking for a shop in Brooklyn to help you?

euroZ06

Quote from: alfaitalia on May 22, 2017, 04:42:19 AM
Obviously if you raise the gearing she's going to feel slower still....so I would not fit the 3.55 until she runs right.They are not the most powerful thing on earth but I don't think many would describe a 383 as slow. Give it the full service and tune up before you start throwing money in there...could be something as simple as ignition timing or carb setup.

Probably no need to post the same thread in different sections BTW! Imagine the state this forum if we all did that LOL!! ;)

Thanks for advise. It seems like its running right, starts with half a turn, idles perfect

Sorry, i wasnt getting replies on the other page

euroZ06

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 22, 2017, 08:22:19 AM
Right off the bat your carb linkage is all messed up.   You need to get a holley mopar linkage adapter.     The trottle and kickdown linkage both run off the same stud that you only have the kickdown on.

Can you please elaborate? Im not very knowledgeble about carbs...

euroZ06

Quote from: johntpr on May 22, 2017, 09:33:23 AM
Are you looking to do this work yourself or looking for a shop in Brooklyn to help you?

Im only here in NY for a week. If its something simple, i can try tinkering myself, but if there is a good shop around here, i can take it there. I dont know any though...

cbrestorations

junk the stock intake, they kill mid-top end power. get a mild performance aluminum one (simple bolt on) and a mild roller cam. you will gain 20hp right off the bat by taking the friction off the cam and then what ever hp gain the performance cam will net you. flat tappet cam is dinosaur shit. way better cam profiles in rollers. the cam can open and close much faster without damaging the lobes on the cam. those 2 upgrades should net you around 50+hp even for a mild cam for about $1200

green69rt

Before you actually start tearing into stuff,  I would buy the FSM (Field Service Manual) for your car.

https://www.amazon.com/Repair-Manual-Reprint-Charger-Coronet/dp/B00435JX2O

Cncguy

Your car may not be achieving full throttle with that linkage. Holley makes mopar adapter and throttle pin for this.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: euroZ06 on May 22, 2017, 09:58:01 AM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 22, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

Can you please elaborate? Im not very knowledgeble about carbs...

You need this adapter for that carb.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/157302/10002/-1
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Just 6T9 CHGR

And it will look like this installed.....except it will be on a Holley carb.   Its the black painted lever.  It puts your throttle cable and your kickdown linkage at the right geometry allowing the correct & full travel needed
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

euroZ06

Thanks all for reply's.

I was told to order this piece...

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-7?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-holley&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmIrJBRCRmJ_x7KDo-9oBEiQAuUPKMiQz8l1XTgogc0WZiMzH4SeKz3hRut1zPWCAYPviEP8aAu-F8P8HAQ

Is it the correct one?

I want to go to a shop to ajudst timing, can anyone give me specs?

I was thinking about changing intake manifold, which one should i get? Do i need to adjust timing afterwards?

Is cam hard to swap out? Ive never done it

euroZ06

Also, when i just put it in 1st gear, i noticed car dramatically runs out of power at 4k rpm... is it because the throttle is not opening all the way, or something else is off?

Cncguy

Quote from: euroZ06 on May 22, 2017, 04:51:15 PM
Thanks all for reply's.

I was told to order this piece...

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-7?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-holley&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmIrJBRCRmJ_x7KDo-9oBEiQAuUPKMiQz8l1XTgogc0WZiMzH4SeKz3hRut1zPWCAYPviEP8aAu-F8P8HAQ

Is it the correct one?

I want to go to a shop to ajudst timing, can anyone give me specs?

I was thinking about changing intake manifold, which one should i get? Do i need to adjust timing afterwards?

Is cam hard to swap out? Ive never done it

And this https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-67

Kern Dog

Quote from: cbrestorations on May 22, 2017, 03:33:31 PM
junk the stock intake, they kill mid-top end power. get a mild performance aluminum one (simple bolt on) and a mild roller cam. you will gain 20hp right off the bat by taking the friction off the cam and then what ever hp gain the performance cam will net you. flat tappet cam is dinosaur shit. way better cam profiles in rollers. the cam can open and close much faster without damaging the lobes on the cam. those 2 upgrades should net you around 50+hp even for a mild cam for about $1200

Cost was the main reason I have resisted a roller cam. The new EDM style flat tappet lifters have changed the game, Chris. Roller cams have RPM limitations.

cbrestorations

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 22, 2017, 08:43:50 PM
Quote from: cbrestorations on May 22, 2017, 03:33:31 PM

Cost was the main reason I have resisted a roller cam. The new EDM style flat tappet lifters have changed the game, Chris. Roller cams have RPM limitations.

rollers are used in nascar at 10,000rpm, i doubt any rb mopar engine would ever see that. me personally have spun rollers to 8000rpm. main advantage to rollers is the ramp speed so it can open and close valve fast for better carb vacuum signal.