News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

505 RB build with Trick Flow heads

Started by Paul G, May 22, 2017, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pipeliner

Quote from: alfaitalia on May 24, 2017, 05:41:02 PM
Many on here not mentioning the power lost with flat tappets due to the extra load/drag on the cam. The extra 20 horses or so you might loose from not getting the valves to open the full lift of the cam with roller hydraulics are more than made up for by the lack of rolling resistance on the cam shaft. Not to mention the more aggressive profile you could have on the rollers without the worry of the edge of the tappets digging into the lobes. Just my two pence worth!
or the thousands of flat tappets that have went flat. People have been running Hydraulic Rollers now for over 30 years with very little problems. I'm not going to let a bad batch of comp roller lifters scare me like it has everybody in the past. They are so much more beneficial in a street car. I'll run my free NAPA 15/40 oil in it and put my beautiful valve covers on it and won't  have to worry about taking them back off.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Paul G on May 24, 2017, 08:14:48 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 23, 2017, 08:15:28 AM
I'd opt for a low rise single plane like the Holley Street Dominator (better hood clearance + more top end power) and an 850 Quickfuel or Proform carburator. Keep the compression at 10-10.5:1 for pump gas. Upgrade the fuel lines to 3/8 and run a 120GPH fuel pump.

Ron
Hood clearance is an issue. The 360 with an Eddy rpm air gap intake, and the flat hood barely closes, thats with a drop base air cleaner. Is the Holley street dominator low rise single plane going to be any higher than what I have now? Will it perform as well as a high rise? I am not against cutting a hole in the hood. Really thinking about the Trick Flow Track Heat high rise and just cutting the hood.    

Can a mechanical fuel pump feed this engine? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1723/overview/make/dodge
This one puts out 110 GPH with a 3/8" outlet.

Still have not heard back from either of the engine builders.

Paul,

The SD is slightly taller than the factory manifold and it is low enough that the stock kickdown linkage will work so there's no reason it won't clear a stock hood. I had the SD on my old 446 with a 1in spacer under the carb and it cleared the stock 68 hood with a drop base air cleaner assembly.  :yesnod:

I'm not sure the Track Heat manifold is the right manifold for this build....it is designed for a higher rpm type build.  ;)

I used the Carter high volume pump which is 120gph and regulated @ 6psi with great results. I would definitely recommend upgrading to 3/8 fuel lines and a return style system to keep the fuel cooler (recirculation). You can purchased these lines from several vendors along with the return style fuel vapor separator. When I was running the mechanical pump I also insulated all of the fuel lines around the engine to keep the fuel protected from conductive/radiating heat coming off the engine. I never had any issues with fuel boiling/vapor lock.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Paul G on May 23, 2017, 07:11:56 PM

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 23, 2017, 06:22:49 PM

Typically hyd lifters are done at 5800-6000 rpm....regardless of the cam's powerband. The hyd lifter will pump up and send the valvetrain into valve float. If you really want to buzz it up to 6500 you will have to go solid roller or solid flat tappet. The Flat Tappet will require less maintenance and is a better choice for a car that will be driven a lot. Solid roller cams will make more power but it comes at a price.  :yesnod:

Hyd rollers are fine for an engine that won't see the high side of 6K rpm and use milder spring pressures so less stress on the valvetrain.

Ron

Leading me toward a solid lifter?

Truthfully, I am not nice to this car, even the small block. I did not buy a numbers matching trailer queen. I take good care of the car, hell parking lots give me fits. But, I like to drive it hard. 

How much maintenance will the solids need? The car only gets 3000 miles per year, albeit not easy miles. Frequent lash adjustments? What is the downside to a solid roller? I like the idea of using regular oil and not having to worry about it.

Are you saying that a solid flat tappet, is less maintenance than a solid roller? I like less maintenance. 

Sorry for so many more questions. :2thumbs:

Solid flat tappets require a lash "Check" periodically....I used to do mine once a year at the beginning of the driving season. Most times the lash remained consistent with no adjustments required. I'd say this was pretty low maintenance and a good tradeoff for the increased reliability vs a hyd cam.  :2thumbs:

The maintenance on a solid roller is a little more intense. Typically you'll be replacing the bronze distributor drive every 5k miles, inspecting and possibly rebuilding the roller lifters and swapping in fresh valvesprings at the same interval.  :yesnod:

For a car that is driven 10k miles/year the solid roller is not the preferred option....INMHO  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Paul G

Intakes,

I would be very disappointed if I go with a dual plane, or low rise single plane, and the hood still wont shut and have to cut it anyway. I dont have room for a 1/4" nitrous plate as it is right now. Add to that a 1" carb spacer?

The Track Heat is designed for top end, as is all the single plane intakes, right? The stroker is designed to increase low end torque, which there will be plenty. Together would they not make this a stronger engine both down low and on top?

Lifters,

Solid lifters will outperform hydrauilic at the higher RPM, correct? From what I have read, Mopar never designed these engines to handle the taller roller lifter that we like to fit in to them today. Without bushing the lifter bore, it can wear and cause a loss of oil pressure inside the lifter, which pretty much negates the pump up of the lifter. Is this correct?

Looking at the prices of roller lifter/cam combos, and flat tappet combos, there is about $1000 price difference.

Summary,

Lets say, 3.91 gears I am using, along with a solid flat tappet lifter/cam, single plane high rise manifold, and a stroker bottom end. I should see plenty of torque down low, and easily pull hard to 6500 RPM.

I am on a budget. Saving $1000 just on the cam selection is big. I have had solids in engines before, hell the slant six I had in 1980 had solids. Checking them periodically was no sweat.

Where am I going wrong here?

BTW, do the single plane high rise intakes have vacuum ports for power brakes, PCV, etc?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

firefighter3931

Quote from: Paul G on May 25, 2017, 09:51:14 AM
Intakes,

I would be very disappointed if I go with a dual plane, or low rise single plane, and the hood still wont shut and have to cut it anyway. I dont have room for a 1/4" nitrous plate as it is right now. Add to that a 1" carb spacer?

The Track Heat is designed for top end, as is all the single plane intakes, right? The stroker is designed to increase low end torque, which there will be plenty. Together would they not make this a stronger engine both down low and on top?

Lifters,

Solid lifters will outperform hydrauilic at the higher RPM, correct? From what I have read, Mopar never designed these engines to handle the taller roller lifter that we like to fit in to them today. Without bushing the lifter bore, it can wear and cause a loss of oil pressure inside the lifter, which pretty much negates the pump up of the lifter. Is this correct?

Looking at the prices of roller lifter/cam combos, and flat tappet combos, there is about $1000 price difference.

Summary,

Lets say, 3.91 gears I am using, along with a solid flat tappet lifter/cam, single plane high rise manifold, and a stroker bottom end. I should see plenty of torque down low, and easily pull hard to 6500 RPM.

I am on a budget. Saving $1000 just on the cam selection is big. I have had solids in engines before, hell the slant six I had in 1980 had solids. Checking them periodically was no sweat.

Where am I going wrong here?

BTW, do the single plane high rise intakes have vacuum ports for power brakes, PCV, etc?

The track heat intake is just like the Edelbrock Victor which is a high rise. Definitely hood scoop with either of those and the factory trans kickdown won't work either so you'll be going to a cable style kickdown.

The Street Dominator will clear a stock hood and you don't need a spacer. Perhaps just a thick insulating carb base gasket. If a stock 440 with a cast iron intake clears the flat hood there's no reason a SD with a dropped base air cleaner won't.

The SD is an awesome manifold and performs extremely well. Easily capable of moving enough air to make 600HP + yet maintains a low profile for hood clearance and has excellent low end power. It's a win-win with that manifold for your application.

The solid lifters are way more reliable for high rpm operation vs a hyd lifter, You are correct about the lifter bushing. Often with older blocks the lifter bore clearance becomes a bit sloppy and this will impact the hyd lifter performance.  :P

A lowdeck (400) based build would be something to consider as well because the block is shorter which will give you more hood clearance.  :yesnod:

The SD does have a vac port on one of the intake runners for a PB booster. The racier Victor/track heat do not and would require drilling/tapping to install a fitting.

Ron

pipeliner

Just a FYI. Trick Flow Roller Lifters are good for 6500 RPM. They have tested them many times up to 7,000 RPM and they still were good and they sell them with their top end kit also. Their test mule 440 has a hard 50 hours on it and when they switched out to the 270 heads the lifters looked just like new. These lifters can bought around the $400 mark. Seems like to me some of these failures may be due to worn out lifter bores. Who would sell a lifter if it wasn't in spec and who would install lifters if the bore wasn't in spec? A Roller Hydraulic Cam will out perform a solid flat tappet and it's so much easier on your valvetrain. If your on a budget why are you waisting the extra money on a stroker when everything you are wanting can be achieved with out it?

Paul G

Quote from: pipeliner on May 25, 2017, 12:53:43 PM
If your on a budget why are you waisting the extra money on a stroker when everything you are wanting can be achieved with out it?

Torque.

A stroker will make more torque. A heavy car needs torque.

Something that was brought to my attention today. Heat!! Phoenix is HOT!! That needs to be considered. It was suggested to keep the compression on the conservative side, A few ticks under 10 to 1. Keeps detonation concerns to a minimum in the heat and with 91 octane. Along with a conservative cam it should do OK in the 110° summer heat with the AC on. Should still make power in the 500+HP range and 600+ torque

Another thing, in the summer. Drawing in the cooler 110° outside air from above the hood rather than the HOTTER 230° air from under the hood. Does the air under the hood escape up through the opening/ scoop? Or does the cooler air get pushed down through the opening in to carb? 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

fizz

I read a lot about lifter bores on mopars being screwed up even with new blocks, like alignment with the cam centerline, along with bore length being short for a roller. It looked like lifter bore bushings and install was maybe around $1500 or so. I inquired about that at the start of my build and it was poo-pooed by my original builder.

If I was building a track car I would have done it anyway.

That being said, I do have a bbc with a retrofit hyd roller that has about 4000 hard miles, runs like stink, and has had 0 issues.

pipeliner

That's where you need a good machinist. I've also read some crazy stuff also. One guy even went on to say that a hydraulic flat tappet would perform just as good as a hydraulic roller lmao! Another guy said he seen hydraulic Rollers fall off at 5200 RPM and I just watched a video of a 440 with a hydraulic roller and peak hp on that build was at 6100 RPM. Some people don't like change, people make mistakes and also blame it on the product. I'll let you know my numbers when when my machinist gets to it and when I put it on they dyno I'll also share those numbers to see how well the cam holds up.

chargerbr549

Here is some interesting articles on intake manifolds for 440's

Manifold                                       Heights (taken from the front of the intake)                          Average Flow
Stock                                            3.05                                                                                        ?
Indy dual plane                              3.275                                                                                    326
Holley Street Dominator                  4.130                                                                                    282
Torker II                                        4.150                                                                                    297
Team G                                         4.380                                                                                     ?
Performer RPM                               4.900                                                                                    285

Intake flow data
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/4portedintakemanifoldsupdated08272007.php   

Height comparisons
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/72-rr-440-intake-height.8932/

BSB67

Quote from: chargerbr549 on May 25, 2017, 08:40:28 PM
Here is some interesting articles on intake manifolds for 440's

Manifold                                       Heights (taken from the front of the intake)                          Average Flow
Stock                                            3.05                                                                                        ?
Indy dual plane                              3.275                                                                                    326
Holley Street Dominator                  4.130                                                                                    282
Torker II                                        4.150                                                                                    297
Team G                                         4.380                                                                                     ?
Performer RPM                               4.900                                                                                    285

Intake flow data
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/4portedintakemanifoldsupdated08272007.php   

Height comparisons
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/72-rr-440-intake-height.8932/

the Indy dual plane is actually about as tall as the RPM

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Challenger340

The problem many face when using Hydraulic Rollers in BB Mopars, an Engine never designed or envisioned to use them, is the very short distance between where the very large Oil Gallery intersects the lifter Bore, and the bottom of the Bore itself, which is also the exact spot where maximum Lifter Bore wear occurs in old Blocks, allowing excessive lifeblood Oil Pressure leakage out, rather than into the Lifter maintaining preload.

Add to the above,
that Hydraulic Roller Cams require higher V/Spring Pressures to keep up with the increased ramp Roller Lobes, and you have a situation where lifeblood Oil Pressure to maintain Lifter preload and valvetrain stability is fighting against the worn Bores and higher Spring pressure trying to keep it out ..... clackity.... clackity... clackity.... or very poor rpm capability.

Interesting to note here:
is that when CRANE was initially doing the R & D for Hydraulic Rollers with FORD back in the early 80's.... one of the first identified Block design changes was to Lenghten the Lifter Bore castings themselves to assist in Lifter sealing.... hence the Mid-80's Ford "HR" smallblocks with the taller(longer) lifter Bores.
The same was done over at GM etc., as they were updating castings to run HR's... they all lengthened the Lifter Bores in the HR Blocks for this reason.

The best answer for trying to run HR Lifters in these old BB Mopar Blocks with the Short & usually normally Lifter Bore bottoms.... seems to be one of 2 things:
1.) Bush the Lifter Bores to control leakage, an extremely expensive proposition
or,
2.) Run the HR Lifter basically bottomed out for adjustment, with only about .010" or so plunger preload remaining.... so basically running as a Solid.

#2 is now the prescribed "FIX" at pretty much all Cam Manu's for BB Mopar's when you phone to complain as many do.... of "noisey valvetrain"
and,
begging the question, if so many are having to run the HR Lifter Plungers in BB Mopars down .080", .090", even .105" to shut them up, basically "Bottomed" with 3 & 4 Adjuster Threads hanging out the bottom of the Rockers, why not just run a tight lash Solid "Street" Roller Cam instead ? with even more power/Trq than the HR ?

Anybody with a dis-assembled Block ?
Take a flashlight and go LOOK at the bottom of the Lifter Bores and the distance between where the Oil gallery intersects it to out the bottom.... see what I am referring to here, even better put a Bore gauge in their for yourself if you have access to one.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Challenger340

Quote from: pipeliner on May 25, 2017, 06:37:58 PM
That's where you need a good machinist. I've also read some crazy stuff also. One guy even went on to say that a hydraulic flat tappet would perform just as good as a hydraulic roller lmao! Another guy said he seen hydraulic Rollers fall off at 5200 RPM and I just watched a video of a 440 with a hydraulic roller and peak hp on that build was at 6100 RPM. Some people don't like change, people make mistakes and also blame it on the product. I'll let you know my numbers when when my machinist gets to it and when I put it on they dyno I'll also share those numbers to see how well the cam holds up.

Just a suggestion, you may wish get your machinist to check the clearance in the bottom of your BB Mopar Lifter Bores ?, between where the Oil Gallery intersects to OUT the bottom ? A very short distance depending on the Block between .250" to .375" and usually worn.... where the lifeblood Oil Pressure that the HR Lifter relies upon for quiet operation and rpm stability leaks out.

If you experience excessive HR Lifter noise in your BB Mopar ?, or poor rpm capability in operation ?
The fix is usually to pretty much BOTTOM the HR Lifter adjustment out.... resulting in 3-4 threads of the adjuster hanging out under the Rocker and prone to breakage over time.

Seems silly to me that if people have to bottom out the plunger in an HR Lifter to shut them up and get rpm.... as many do..... why wouldn't they just run a tight lash solid Roller ? which is what they are basically DOING ?

pipeliner

Quote from: Challenger340 on May 26, 2017, 09:27:42 AM
Quote from: pipeliner on May 25, 2017, 06:37:58 PM

Just a suggestion, you may wish get your machinist to check the clearance in the bottom of your BB Mopar Lifter Bores ?, between where the Oil Gallery intersects to OUT the bottom ? A very short distance depending on the Block between .250" to .375" and usually worn.... where the lifeblood Oil Pressure that the HR Lifter relies upon for quiet operation and rpm stability leaks out.

If you experience excessive HR Lifter noise in your BB Mopar ?, or poor rpm capability in operation ?
The fix is usually to pretty much BOTTOM the HR Lifter adjustment out.... resulting in 3-4 threads of the adjuster hanging out under the Rocker and prone to breakage over time.

Seems silly to me that if people have to bottom out the plunger in an HR Lifter to shut them up and get rpm.... as many do..... why wouldn't they just run a tight lash solid Roller ?
That's funny you mention that. We just talked about specs on the lifter bore this morning. He hasn't got to my motor yet but assured me he would completely spec the bore and the Trick Flow Lifters. If ain't in spec There won't be no bottoming out with him, he doesn't play the N- Rigging game. I guess if doesn't spec we'll go solid or find another block but he said  most of the big blocks he had done usually spec. He had more problems with Chrysler small blocks he said. Seems like they are a lot people running the Morel lifters with no problems and even read where somebody had 30,000 miles on their build. So there is another question? Are the problems with HR lifters just pertained to 1 certain lifter because it seems like 95% of the times these problems occur it's with the Comp HR lifters and that's a fact. They've had a lot problems and still continue to do so it seems. Seems like the Chevy BB guys have this Figured out.

BSB67

Quote from: pipeliner on May 26, 2017, 10:11:55 AM
That's funny you mention that. We just talked about specs on the lifter bore this morning. He hasn't got to my motor yet but assured me he would completely spec the bore and the Trick Flow Lifters. If ain't in spec There won't be no bottoming out with him, he doesn't play the N- Rigging game. I guess if doesn't spec we'll go solid or find another block but he said  most of the big blocks he had done usually spec. He had more problems with Chrysler small blocks he said. Seems like they are a lot people running the Morel lifters with no problems and even read where somebody had 30,000 miles on their build. So there is another question? Are the problems with HR lifters just pertained to 1 certain lifter because it seems like 95% of the times these problems occur it's with the Comp HR lifters and that's a fact. They've had a lot problems and still continue to do so it seems. Seems like the Chevy BB guys have this Figured out.

I think you missed most of Bob's points.  Furthermore, Chrysler has no lifter bore spec for running aftermarket HR cams in their non-HR blocks from 40 years ago.

There is also this misconception that aftermarket "performance" parts are high quality, where the opposite is actually more the case.

And finally, your "fact" is not a fact unless you have actual data and appropriate analysis.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

pipeliner

Thats some funny stuff right there. So give us some specs! Surely they should be some if your wanting to run HR lifters??? How many problems are associated with HR lifters that seem associated with the comp HR lifters? You can do the research yourself. Seems like all of them.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: pipeliner on May 26, 2017, 07:31:42 PM
Thats some funny stuff right there. So give us some specs! Surely they should be some if your wanting to run HR lifters??? How many problems are associated with HR lifters that seem associated with the comp HR lifters? You can do the research yourself. Seems like all of them.

Give you specs? On what? There are none for hydraulic rollers in a standard block. What do you want? Several reputable builders have said its a problem and reccomended against it. What more do you want?

justcruisin

If the man wants to run a HR cam let him run it, it will probably be fine.

Personally I can't see the point, if you want a performance gain and are prepared to cough up for a roller set up why not go for the solid.

I guess the argument is that FT cams can go flat, true, but you can go a long way to help the situation and prevent a failure, I have been running the same fast rate FT hyd for 6 years without issue, it's not like a HR set up is without issues or limitations either.

Roll the dice and take your chances, pros and cons which ever way you go.

Just for interest by those in the know - does a street roller make that much more power than a equivalent FT.

Paul G

So this is what I see here on this lifter discussion.

Lets say a block has lifter bores that are in good condition, and a hydraulic roller lifter is used, the roller lifter will, over time, cause the bottom of the lifter bore to wear, the effect will be oil bleeding out of the lifter bore, getting past the lifter rather than maintaining proper pressure in the lifter, and cause the lifter to bleed down and not provide the lift it is supposed to be able to provide. Is this correct?

I can just imagine, as the lobe of the roller cam is coming around, it is applying a sideways load to the lifters roller. Where as a flat tappet, with a less aggressive lobe profile will not do this side load to the lifter. Just makes sense that a roller lifter will egg shape the bore over time. If the engine is babied, does not see high RPM, than the wear on the lifter bore may take a long time to become an issue, if at all.

Is this lifter bore wear problem evident on factory built roller motors coming in for rebuild? 

pipeliner

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 26, 2017, 10:08:30 PM

Give you specs? On what? There are none for hydraulic rollers in a standard block. What do you want? Several reputable builders have said its a problem and reccomended against it. What more do you want?
I guess I'll go back to running a purple cam or put a BBC in it with HL in it since they are the only ones that have it figured out. Imagine that. A few reputable Mopar builders had problems with a bad batch of HL from Comp and now nobody should run them LMFAO!

pipeliner

Quote from: Paul G on May 27, 2017, 12:04:24 AM

Lets say a block has lifter bores that are in good condition, and a hydraulic roller lifter is used, the roller lifter will, over time, cause the bottom of the lifter bore to wear, the effect will be oil bleeding out of the lifter bore, getting past the lifter rather than maintaining proper pressure in the lifter, and cause the lifter to bleed down and not provide the lift it is supposed to be able to provide. Is this correct?

I can just imagine, as the lobe of the roller cam is coming around, it is applying a sideways load to the lifters roller. Where as a flat tappet, with a less aggressive lobe profile will not do this side load to the lifter. Just makes sense that a roller lifter will egg shape the bore over time. If the engine is babied, does not see high RPM, than the wear on the lifter bore may take a long time to become an issue, if at all.

Is this lifter bore wear problem evident on factory built roller motors coming in for rebuild?  
You better not Imagine. Why do you think they have been thousands of flat tappet cams gone flat? You don't have to worry about that problem with a HR cam. The HL should never egg shape, it's always riding on top of the roller. According to Joe there is no specs on lifter bore with HL so if you decide to go that route we all should be good to go. Hell just drop them in there and go :rofl: So if you let a few guys scare you into running a flat tappet then by all means go that route but for me I'm going to take advantage of all of the good things a HR cam have to offer in a street car. If I was running a race car I may have went a different route. No matter what anybody says my machinist is one of the best in the country (not a reputable Mopar builder) and specs everything anally and that's the way it should be no matter what brand or type of a build it is. Im done with this post. Good luck with your build no matter what route you decide to go  :cheers:

Challenger340

Quote from: Paul G on May 27, 2017, 12:04:24 AM

Factory built H/Roller engines coming in for rebuild, typically do NOT exhibit the wear problem because, ALL manu's LENGTHENED the Lifter Bores on the Block castings, (more wear area), and usually also repositioned the Oil Gallery within the Lifter Bores for the HR Application.   Go compare an "HR" Block to any of their pre-HR bretheren.

Challenger340

I have NO CLUE what your Machinist is talking about ?

"Spec" for Lifter to Lifter Bore clearance on a BB Mopar may not even be published ?

But generally speaking "spec" for Lifter clearance in a Bore is typically .001", which according to builder preferences may be adjusted slightly, with Solid Rollers for Race etc., sometimes Honed even higher.
But remember here....
With Hydraulic anything, the length of the sealing wall internal of the Lifter Bore against the Lifter itself plays a role in sealing, as does how ROUND the Lifter Bore is.

With BB Mopars.....
it is the ROUNDNESS at the Bottom of the Lifter Bores, and the DISTANCE between the low Oil Gallery and the bottom of the Lifter Bore that has gone away on old blocks.

Take a Flashlight and go INSPECT any old BB Mopar in the Lifter Bore @ bottom below the Oil Gallery:
1.) pay attention to WHERE the Oil Gallery is in the Lifter Bore, and the amount of Lifter Bore distance from the bottom of the gallery OUT
and
2.) Look for the "half-moon" wear pattern in that bottom of the Lifter Bore directly below the Oil Gallery(Short distance) area, where even the stock Flat Tappet Lifters these Blocks came with have worn them.

If you can't "see" it visually ?
Then use a small Bore gauge.... it is usually there in measurement.

Challenger340

Look, I am not saying you can't run an HR in a BB Mopar.... YOU CAN ! and many do with apparently no problems ? Although I am somewhat skeptical of what final Lifter preload they end up at ?

All I am saying.... is that you then later one of the unfortunate ones that DO encounter noisey HR Lifters ? or RPM problems ? in operation using "Normal" HR Lifter preload....  which seems to be a common complaint with HR's in BB Mopars ?

1.) Be prepared to adjust the HR Lifter plunger very close to bottomed out(within about .010" to .015")
and
2.) After the above cure.... it may also be a good idea to go buy longer pushrods so you don't have the extra 2 to 2 1/2 Threads on the Rocker Adjuster hanging out the bottom of the Rocker Arm over time in operation(they break off)

And the above then begs the question.... for me anyways, why not just run a Street type "Tight Lash" Solid Roller ?

Challenger340

Quote from: pipeliner on May 27, 2017, 02:15:48 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 26, 2017, 10:08:30 PM

I guess I'll go back to running a purple cam or put a BBC in it with HL in it since they are the only ones that have it figured out. Imagine that. A few reputable Mopar builders had problems with a bad batch of HL from Comp and now nobody should run them LMFAO!

Let's try this again OK ? ?
I was attempting to convey a "potential" HR installation problem many people have, or may in future encounter with HR's in BB Mopars.... that has NOTHING to do with the Lifters themselves... nor anything to "figure out" in the Lifter itself ?

It is the Blocks and potential wear in one area present ? that can compromise the otherwise fine HR Lifter's, or any Hydraulic Lifter's ability to function correctly ?

But for some reason while promoting the propaganda the Koolaid around HR's.... which NOBODY HERE is saying aren't just GREAT in other brands with different Oil gallery Locations and Lifter Bore location intersects.....
some people,
KEEP MISSING THE POINT around the specific to BB Mopars, Block/Lifter Bore wear and from the Oil Gallery intersect location out ?

I am NOT knocking HR's.... we run them all the time in other brands that YES... we have been requested to build as well. They work GREAT  :2thumbs: !
Just say'in.....
with BB Mopars and HR Lifters.... CHECK closely in one area on the Block,(and often times even that is no guarantee), so be aware bottoming or very close to bottoming the lifter plunger may be the only answer in operation if problems are encountered..... then longer pushrods to correct the excessive adjuster thread exposure below the Rockers if that's what you have to do.(Run the plunger down)