News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine oil filtering questions

Started by Bad B-rad, May 23, 2017, 01:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

I am a heavy equipment mechanic, and on a lot of the different machines the manufacture has a"Clean up/out filter(s)".
That you use  after a part fails or the system get some type of contamination in it. You use it for only a small amount of time and under specific instructions (ie: run for no more then 3hrs and do not exceed 3200rpm, or 3600psi, what ever it may be) to remove anything bad from the oil,as so not to cause any damage.

Is there any type of filter like that for big block Mopars?
(or for any engine that just so happens to spin on to our engines)

I just found and cleaned out some "debris" in an oil passage to my head in a 383 engine.
So I want to know the best way remove any and all crap from the engine.
I can change the engine oil and filter, I am not worried about the price of oil, but I didn't know if  someone offered  a "clean up filter"  and maybe spin that on and use a drill to pump oil through the system and filter and catch anything before it causes any damage.
Or is my best bet to just drop the oil pan and clean that out with the oil pick up screen?
(I have already wiped the head rocker area and lifter valley for any large pieces, I just want to get it as clean as I can)
What is the best way to move forward?

For the equipment we have even used a Filter Caddy, and there were two styles that I know of, the one we used just sucked the oil out and sent it through a set of progressively smaller filters and then returned to the system. While this was being done it required someone to run the machine while the oil is being filtered to get the oil in and out of the entire system.
The other style worked the same way except that the Filter Caddy returned the oil under pressure and that's how it forced clean oil in to every part of the system, and flushed the "dirty" out to clean it completely.
That is why I wondered about spinning on a filter and maybe using a drill to pump oil through the engine, without running the motor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

c00nhunterjoe

Bigger problem is that the gunk that was in your head was probably caked on oil sludge and not floating debris. An oil filter wont help that.   wix, motorcraft or k&n filters are the best manufactured in my opinion.

Bad B-rad

Are Napa oil filters made by wix?
I have read that K+N are very well made filters.
I think I have STP on it, and I just read that they are not all that great.

When I got the car, I drained the engine oil first thing, let it drain over night. Then refill the next day with high zink oil and an stp oil additive, then discovered two bent push rods and two stuck valves, so I pulled the stock 906 off and put a rebuilt set of 346 with new springs/seals and valves, also a set of comp cam pushrods and Mopar steel shim head gasket. Thats when I primed it and discovered the blockage.

So I guess my best bet may be to pull the oil pan and clean it out.
Or should I drain the oil and fill it with diesel or kero to break up any sludge and then drain fluid and change filter?

I wiped the valve covers out, they were not bad at all, the lifter valley did have some sludge in some spots that I tried to clean up and wipe out.
So I would think the pan would be the only other place the sludge could be.
Or should I just try and start it get it up to temp and then drain it and throw on a new filter.

Years ago my grand pop(born in 1919) would have me drain two qts out of the oil pan and add two or three qts of trans fluid an then just start and idle the car for 15 mins, and right before we shut it off he would dump a small amount down the carb and hit the throttle to keep it running as it smoked like a bastard. Now that I am older, I guess the high detergent in the trans fluid was what was cleaning the engine sludge out.

Thanks for the advice.

c00nhunterjoe

I would be more afraid of breaking deposits loose and causing damage later if something dislodges while driving down the road. There is no miracle fix if it is sludged up short of a teardown and hot tank.

Bad B-rad

Well I guess I will see how she runs when I fire it up, I was trying to rock the #'s engine to move it in and out of the shop until I get her ready for the open road and if everything is good, continue until I have the money to build a "B" based  stroker engine.
I guess when I drop the trans pan I will drop oil pan and clean that. Thanks for help.

Also do you know if Wix makes NAPA's oil filters, or should I just buy the Wix  branded filter.

c00nhunterjoe

Napa gold is made by wix for napa.... snapon- bluepoint.... buy the wix