News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ground wire on 72 Rallye Tailights ?

Started by ACUDANUT, May 23, 2017, 11:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

My rear tail lights are not working right.   Where are the proper grounds for these ?

Gold Rush

If your '72 is like my '74, there is a ground lug in the harness just after the harness enters the trunk cavity (maybe six inches in).  It gets attached to an angular shaped bracket that goes from the rear to the trunk floor.  When I was rebuilding the tail light assemblies I tested them using this ground lug and all worked perfectly.

Good Luck with your search..
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

71charger_fan

Depends on which taillights you have. The Rallye taillight housings are metal and the sockets ground themselves. The other housings (at least in '71) are plastic and require extra ground wires, one which, in a '71, attaches to the rear of the driver side of the trunk.

HPP

There is, but that fat chick you always post up sat on it and its disappeared.

ACUDANUT

Mine are Rallye Tailights. I wonder what is keeping them from getting a good ground.  :scratchchin:
What happened to black wires on cars always being Negative/ground wires.  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Well, I have brighter taillights, but I tapped into the running lights (by mistake)  Now I do not have running lights and side markers lights.  Errrrr

Bob

My 72 rt tailights had a ground wire on the passenger rear assembly to to the mounting stud of the side rear marker.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 71charger_fan on May 24, 2017, 08:17:02 AM
Depends on which taillights you have. The Rallye taillight housings are metal and the sockets ground themselves. The other housings (at least in '71) are plastic and require extra ground wires, one which, in a '71, attaches to the rear of the driver side of the trunk.

Rallye, R/T lights all have a ground wire on the drivers side trunk area. So I am still wondering what is going on.