News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adding back brace

Started by Windsor, May 24, 2017, 12:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Hey folks. It been a while.
I am going to be getting my new 4link back half next week probably and plan to do some modifications. I am narrowing the rear end as well as centering the pinion so my driveshaft goes straight back. While I am doing this, I figure I'll go ahead and weld on a back brace. That way, later on, I won't wish I had done it before straightening it.
CA Chassisworks has one that is .083" thick material and good for up to 40" width. Moser has one that is suppose to be .125" (haven't been able to verify).  I'm waiting on a reply from them in regards to thickness and width of their back brace.

My plan is to center the pinion by shifting the housing to the driver side 1 3/16" then cutting the driver side down by 2 3/8". This is just the base measurement as I also have to adjust the width for new wheels/tires. Going from 15x7 (3.75" BS) with 235/70/15 to 15x10 (4" BS) with 285/70/15.

I plan to check the bores on the ends before I decide if I will re-use them or get new ends to weld on.

As for welding the back brace, my plan is to fabricate a mount that will hold the axle down to 2x4x.125 steel tubing. Then I'll trim and tac the brace on the take it up to get MIG/TIG welded. The housing is getting sandblasted right now, so all welding will be onto very clean metal. Housing will be bare, so no worries of arching bearings.

If anyone has any suggestions/ideas, feel free to let me know.

John_Kunkel

Fairly straight-forward job; I use the Chassisworks brace (they're local to me) and mig it. I always use the factory tapered axle bearing so reusing the factory ends is easier than trying to find aftermarket ends that will accept them.

My assembly jig bar goes full length rather than doing one side at a time like most others.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Windsor

The plan for the alignment bar is to get a full length bar and get a alignment set off ebay (with diff ruler).
No concerns about the thickness? I'm going with the Chassisworks 2x4 frame rails because they are thicker than the competition who uses .083" wall thickness for their rails. Just wondering if I should get the Chassisworks brace at .083" and $8 more or order the Moser (if they verify it is .125" and wide enough).
They aren't really local to me, but I'll be driving down to pick up the back half to save $ on shipping on some Airstream parts I am going to pick up on the same trip.

Windsor

Moser confirms they use .125" and the width is 36".

Windsor

Went with the CA Chassisworks. Picked it up on Tuesday. Had to cut it in half as their cut does not allow for bending the back brace. Had about 1/4" gap between the two halves after install. But by doing that, I didnt have to grind the edges to get it to fit.