News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HLVP paint guns

Started by randy73, May 24, 2017, 12:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

My compressor is 9.8 cfm at 30 psi, is that enough?

Almost every paint gun I have seen needs 13 at 30 psi or there about's, so is there a paint gun that runs around 9.8?

BTW: my compressor is 29 gallons.

Pete in NH

Hi,

The Astro-Pneumantic EVO 4014 is a LVLP gun that only requires 9.5 CFM. No one is ever going to confuse it with a professional gun but it does get paint on a panel in a decent fashion. It is however, very slow. Its okay for doing one panel at a time but on a whole car refinish with a big car like a Charger I don't know how things would go. I think the bottom line is you're going to need more air and a bigger compressor.

Silver R/T

You'll need a dual stage compressor to paint a car, especially a big car like Charger.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Laowho

We went with Anest Iwata for a HVLP cuz itsa premium gun that operates at lower pressures, and their metallic-specific gun is one of their lowest operators at 8.3 cfm @ 10psi?  (It's "spec'd" at lower psi...careful w/ these numbers. You'll almost certainly run around 15 psi for any HVLP?)

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/anest-iwata-super-basecoat-hvlp-spray-gun-lph400-lvb-p-16204.aspx

Also got a bigger compressor than "everyone" said was required but, w/o 220 and no option for a 2-stage, wound up spending about $1k for it (14cfm @ 30 psi?). No idea whether/how it'll maintain for the whole car, but test runs are positive. I can get the specs later if you need. It's also 1/2" from tank to reservoir tank to gun, which helps, as does the wall "distillery" for moisture removal. (Ebay gun for $240, not $500 list price. Came from Russia. Immediately checked the holograph and weighed the gun--there are knock-offs out there.) Bottom line, best we could reasonably aim for was about a doubling of the gun requirements, and that's still highly questionable compressor ability for what we're asking. Also, our separate 20 gallon res tank is more of an air cooler than it is a substitute for volume--for that, you want at least an 80 gallon tank, then the compressor to keep it filled at pressure. You need a bigger compressor. So do we.  :pity: