News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine ID question

Started by Raindem, May 24, 2017, 01:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raindem

I was using the information on this site http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html
to decipher my block.  But some of the data doesn't match.

On the main pad in front is stamped "J440" which indicates a 1973 440.  Under that there is an "11" and a "14", neither of which are identified on the website.  Anyone know what those mean?

Also, the website says there is a serial number stamped on the oil pan rail under the starter opening.  There is no such number on my block.  All I could find in that area was the letter "A" and a couple inches away the number "1".  The website says the serial number should contain a partial VIN.  I already know that this block is not original to the car so did replacement blocks come without serial numbers?
Finally, the casting number of the left side of the block is 3698830-440-5, which matches the info on the website.  The right side casting number is 1 digit off.  It is 3898830-440-5.  The second digit is a "8", not a "6".  Is this a casting flaw or does the right side casting number. 

There are some other discrepencies between my block and the info on that site but these are the main ones I"m interested in.

Thanks

Curt

John_Kunkel

11  14 is the engine assembly date November 14, 1972. Not all blocks have the serial number on the pan rail, few do.

The 6-8 casting discrepancy could be a simple error or the loop of the 6 closed up during casting to form an 8. Not uncommon.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Raindem

Thanks John.  I was worried I had a bootleg block or something.

4mayhemi

The 440-5 means it is the 5th iteration of the casting mold. Curious, what is the cast date?

Raindem

The casting date is 10-25-72.